walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Linn of Quoich

Linn of Quoich

Postby Alfachick » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:11 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew the status of the Linn of Quoich car park and bridge situation there? Planning a wee trip up that way tomorrow and reading some walk reports, one user mentioned that the car park was closed and the bridge was out although there were people working on it.

I was wondering if the car park is open again and the bridge repaired?

Thanks for any info.
Alfachick
Bird-watcher

Munros:39   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:35   
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Linn of Quoich

Postby jmarkb » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:31 pm

jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby crfishwick » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:50 pm

According to my reading the bridge has been finished but only open to estate traffic and walkers etc. Therefore car parking will still be before the bridge.
Haven't been there for a long time but sure the parking over the bridge was way before 2015! Then you could still cross by foot. Has there been a full closure?
crfishwick

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:15 pm

You used to drive over the bridge to park. Then the parking was moved to before the bridge, and later the bridge was completely washed away.

Briefly this autumn, the new parking too was closed whilst work was carried out on rebuilding the bridge. Now the bridge is open for people to walk/cycle across, but the parking is staying at the position before the new bridge.

The footbridges higher up Glen Quoich have been rebuilt too.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby crfishwick » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:29 pm

Paul Webster wrote:You used to drive over the bridge to park. Then the parking was moved to before the bridge, and later the bridge was completely washed away.

Briefly this autumn, the new parking too was closed whilst work was carried out on rebuilding the bridge. Now the bridge is open for people to walk/cycle across, but the parking is staying at the position before the new bridge.

The footbridges higher up Glen Quoich have been rebuilt too.

That's cleared that up :wink: Have they started charging a fee? :D
crfishwick

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:25 pm

Nope.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Alfachick » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:43 am

Thank you for the updated information :) plan is to head up that way on Saturday. We will see how the gang are feeling though :lol:
Alfachick
Bird-watcher

Munros:39   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:35   
Wainwrights:2   

Postby helenw » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:42 am

Sorry, but there is now a parking charge and machine at the Linn of Quoich (Paul should have checked on the Walkhighlands route descriptions!)
helenw
Site Admin

Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Postby crfishwick » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:01 pm

helenw wrote:Sorry, but there is now a parking charge and machine at the Linn of Quoich (Paul should have checked on the Walkhighlands route descriptions!)

:lol: :lol: I thought there would be :lol: :lol:
Thanks
crfishwick

Postby ChrisButch » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:01 pm

I've only once used the (old) Linn of Quoich car park, but it led to one of my most memorable Highland wildlife encounters. As I drove in, it was deserted except for two hares, for whom it made the perfect boxing ring. They took no notice whatsoever of me or the car, but carried on jabbing away (very much Queensbury rules, as far as I could tell) till the end of their round: when an invisible referee presumably rang the bell, and they loped off to their respective corners.
ChrisButch

Postby mash tun » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:20 pm

crfishwick wrote:
helenw wrote:Sorry, but there is now a parking charge and machine at the Linn of Quoich (Paul should have checked on the Walkhighlands route descriptions!)

Thanks

Solution :wink: - join the NTS and it's free to park
mash tun

Postby crfishwick » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:44 pm

mash tun wrote:
crfishwick wrote:

Thanks

Solution :wink: - join the NTS and it's free to park

No quite FREE :lol: Although £3 is not bad in today's climate. IIRC when charges were introduced at L of Dee you could leave your car for weeks without getting a ticket!
crfishwick

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion