walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Freeze dried meals on WHW

Freeze dried meals on WHW

Postby Palle Dam » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:52 pm

I plan to walk the West Highland Way in the end of May and will be wild camping. That means that I will have to carry my own food - or at least the dinners. Therefore I will bring some freeze dried meals. But i was hoping to avoid bringing meals for the whole trip.

Is it possible to buy freeze dried meals near the middle of WHW? Maybe in The Green Welly Stop or Brodies in Tyndrum?
Or should I send myself a resupply package (Poste restante) to pick up at the post office in Tyndrum (Brodies). Unfortunately the post office (not the shop) is closed in weekends where i probably will pass Tyndrum.

Palle Dam, Denmark
Palle Dam

Re: Freeze dried meals on WHW

Postby davekeiller » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:30 pm

Not sure why you feel the need to wildcamp all the way, but that's another discussion.
You should be able to get some basic dehydrated food (things like supernoodles or pasta 'n' sauce) in Crianlarich and/or Tyndrum, although the selection probably won't be great.

If you are wildcamping, bear in mind the restrictions by the side of Loch Lomond. In the restricted area you need to either buy a permit or use a designated campsite.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby crfishwick » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:43 pm

If using freeze dried foods I would suggest carrying a full supply to start with. Very few if any places on the WHW store them. Nowadays I don't think the G welly shop have a full outdoors shop! Maybe be wrong! Someone might enlighten me. :wink:
Good luck and just follow the hoards. :wink:
crfishwick

Postby Milvus » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:44 pm

I simply carried all my food on the WHW from the start. It's not that long. But you can buy quite a lot in Tyndrum if you want. You'll probably find food that suits you.

Another option, if you want to use resupply packages, is to ask By The Way campsite in Tyndrum if they can receive a resupply package for you. They are nice people and it is very much a WHW campsite (they have cabins and tent pitches).

I have stayed there myself a few times, including on my own WHW-CWT hike. Tyndrum is a quite cultured area so I didn't want to "wild" camp there - it feels like camping in somebody's garden, imo.
Milvus

Munros:182   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby Milvus » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:17 pm

Milvus wrote:I simply carried all my food on the WHW from the start. It's not that long. But you can buy quite a lot in Tyndrum is a quite cultured area so I didn't want to "wild" camp there

I meant cultivated area :lol:
Milvus

Postby crfishwick » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:27 pm

Milvus wrote:
Milvus wrote:I simply carried all my food on the WHW from the start. It's not that long. But you can buy quite a lot in Tyndrum is a quite cultured area so I didn't want to "wild" camp there

I meant cultivated area :lol:

:lol: When I read the original I had a laugh to myself.
BTW
I meant hordes! Could not edit original! :wink:
crfishwick

Postby fhaggis » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:36 pm

Carried all my own food both times I’ve did the way. Second time wild camped every night and did it over 4nights/ 5 days.

I took to much food to begin with as there are plenty of places to eat, either buying hot food, honesty boxes or shops.

The wee shop next (not in) the green welly is your best bet for restocking, but honestly you’ll not starve.

Many nights you doing it over?
fhaggis
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:47 am

You can pretty much get a pub dinner every night to save you carrying more food.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Uncle bob » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:31 pm

hope your WHW goes well ...I have often got food from ( PO ), brodies in tyndrum , and the co-op at Kinlochleven.....but i am just recommending a alternative to very over priced freeze dried camping food ......i found " Batchelors Beanfeast " 120g , at £1 a packet in asda supermarket .....and that ive just added boiling water stired well left it stand for 5mins ...put half a packet of instant noodles 40g and you have a meal of 600 cals....put a table spoon of olive oil in and its near 700+ cals .

A just add water breakfast one i made was cheap porridge oats with powdered " Koffe Creamer " a £1 for 400g in B+M shops... and Aldi Stevia Sweetener 80p ( saves on weight )....anyhow it made a really creamy high calorific breakfast .
Uncle bob
Hill Bagger

Postby Milvus » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:52 pm

Uncle bob wrote:hope your WHW goes well ...I have often got food from ( PO ), brodies in tyndrum , and the co-op at Kinlochleven.....but i am just recommending a alternative to very over priced freeze dried camping food ......i found " Batchelors Beanfeast " 120g , at £1 a packet in asda supermarket .....and that ive just added boiling water stired well left it stand for 5mins ...put half a packet of instant noodles 40g and you have a meal of 600 cals....put a table spoon of olive oil in and its near 700+ cals .

A just add water breakfast one i made was cheap porridge oats with powdered " Koffe Creamer " a £1 for 400g in B+M shops... and Aldi Stevia Sweetener 80p ( saves on weight )....anyhow it made a really creamy high calorific breakfast .

Don't forget the guy flies in from Denmark.

Personally, I arrived with all my food and bought nothing along the way. My evening meal was these Batchelors Pasta n' Sauce (I like the Chicken and Mushroom). I need two packs for one meal. I can pick them up from ASDA at £0,50 each making a total of 200 grams / 836 kcal. If I remember it correctly, they were also selling that stuff in Tyndrum, but at £2 each. (If they are not sold out). On longer hikes I usually carry some extra pasta (without sauce) to add to it while cooking, to top it up to 1000-1200kcal. Though on a relatively short trail like the WHW you get away with small meals because your body still has enough reserves. Who cares if you lose 1kg of body weight during the hike?

The special backpacker meals from Mountain House and the likes are too bulky per calorie for me to carry and way to expensive. On longer hikes these meals will simply not fit in my pack. The cheap Batchelors stuff is excellent for that. It packs really small for the calories they offer! It helps to pierce the packages with a needle, to remove excess air. And you'll be eating them withing days so it won't spoil anyway.

For breakfast and snacking, I usually make a trailmix with peanuts, raisins and M&M's. Especially the chocolate is very important (for me), because you never get bored of it and it keeps you eating. Also this is very efficient: low weight and bulk for the calories it offers.
Milvus

Postby DopeyLoser » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:14 pm

The Crianlarich store (a Londis: I seem to remember it was a Spar...) web site includes an order form and contact details in case you have any questions: http://www.crianlarichstore.co.uk/Orders.php

For those walking the West Highland Way, "real" shops are few and far between. We are located exactly half way along your walk (and, according to many customers, the first "proper" shop since starting!) Place an order (large or small) with us, and collect your groceries on arrival in Crianlarich. We are also happy to provide the necessary requirements for packed lunches - please contact us with your requirements.
DopeyLoser

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:21 am

Dehydrated pasta packs e.g. Knorrs are great, I've found the spicy tomato (arriabbata) was the tastiest despite thinking I'd prefer the creamy ones. Pinprick them, roll the air out, tape the hole up to save space. Though they weigh more grain pouches - from Uncle Bens rice (esp his Mexican rice) to Merchant Gourmet grains - are bewilderingly delicious on the trail. You could have one or two of them and eat first before moving to the dry stuff. Get the right non-Chinese Asian noodles and you're in for a treat, the ones we get in Glasgow Asian supermarkets include freeze-dried shrimp and crab sticks in them, they are A-One Brand. (The big tub needs "decanting" into a bag). Mini Babybel is a good way to take cheese with you, raw or tear it up into pastas or rice. Chorizo or salami is a good way to take protein with you that will last, taste great, replenish salt and fat, but also rend into food you're cooking. The UK store Morrisons does bite-sized mini chorizo from the deli and they're incredibly handy. Instant oats for brek and trail bars for lunch.

But this is by-the-by. You should be able to carry supplies if you get DEHYDRATED rations. There is enough water along the way.

PS, just to make everyone feel soft and fat and pampered beyond belief, think of Jim Taylor. In 2014 at the ripe young age of 91 he did his 20th TGO Challenge. Coast to coast. Solo. Wild-camping every night. His diet? He nibbled on oatcakes and drank water because he "can't be bothered with stoves and hot drinks".

Check out this beautiful encounter and short video interview with him.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Milvus » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:37 am

Marty_JG wrote:
PS, just to make everyone feel soft and fat and pampered beyond belief, think of Jim Taylor. In 2014 at the ripe young age of 91 he did his 20th TGO Challenge. Coast to coast. Solo. Wild-camping every night. His diet? He nibbled on oatcakes and drank water because he "can't be bothered with stoves and hot drinks".

Yes, quite a few hikers (especially the "ultra-light" guys) do "cold soak" with oats and stuff to save carrying a stove and fuel.

Even the simplest of meals taste great on the trail as long as they have calories. Things that you wouldn't touch at home taste delicious when you need the calories on a hike, at least that is my experience.
Milvus

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:27 pm

Who said anything of the faff of cold soaking? :D

I mean a few packs of this to nibble on.

51IVlzarCpL._SX425_[1].jpg
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Milvus » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:45 pm

Marty_JG wrote:Who said anything of the faff of cold soaking? :D

I mean a few packs of this to nibble on.

51IVlzarCpL._SX425_[1].jpg

That looks a lot more tasty than what the cold soak guys eat though! :lol:

Main problem I see with these oatcakes is that they are probably easily crushed when you toss them into your backpack. However, I sometimes carry cookies like the McVities ones if they are tightly packed in a roll, making them less prone to crushing.

Especially the Dark Chocolate ones are delicious on the trail!
Milvus

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion