walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Easy Munro for retirees

Easy Munro for retirees

Postby KWC54 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:17 pm

As above we have taken up hill walking recently and have managed one Monro so far. Now we are retired we would like to add to that huge tally of one lol
So may I ask what would be your chosen Munro be for us.
BTW our first one was Ben Lomond and was ok except for the decent on the knees.

Thanks in advance
Kenny
KWC54
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Easy Munro for retirees

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:47 pm

WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Chris Mac » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:07 pm

KWC54 wrote:As above we have taken up hill walking recently and have managed one Monro so far. Now we are retired we would like to add to that huge tally of one lol
So may I ask what would be your chosen Munro be for us.
BTW our first one was Ben Lomond and was ok except for the decent on the knees.

Thanks in advance
Kenny

Hi Kenny, good on you all for getting out and up the mountains!

I'm only 35 Munros into my journey but so far have found the easiest are:

Ben Chonzie - good track then grassy path the whole way, not too steep in any parts or too long (from Glen Lednock).
Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn) - a great track/path, only a little steeper at the final ascent to the summit, decent length.
Meall nan Tarmachan - high start, good path, steep final section up to summit option continue along ridge and descend at a few points, as long as you want it to be, would make a quick out and back.
Beinn Ghlas/Ben Lawers - high start, good path, option to add on An Stuc from the easy side.
Beinn Ime - great path,fairly long with a good bit of ascent, options to add in adjacent Corbetts or Munro.
Buachaille Etive Beag - stunning location, great path, fairly steep but short, some loose path/scree on final ascent to Stob Coire Raineach, exposed ridge up to Stob Dubh.
Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond) - great path, steep middle but not too bad, no exposure, easy once up high with lots of tops to explore.
Meall Ghaordaidh - need I say more than Bobble_hat_kenny's perfect summary. :D

Ben Narnain and Ben Vane are close and fairly small but both have some steeper sections of path, exposure and some scrambling, unless you went up the back of Narnain where you can avoid the steeper exposed bit of path near the Spearhead. Ben Vane may be the smallest Munro but it is very steep and has a good few scrambly sections higher up.

In the Crianlarich 7, Ben More is called that for a reason, if you can handle almost the whole ascent going straight up at an angle, on a decent grassy path, then it is doable, you may not like the steep descent even if adding in Stob Binnein and using the bealach route up or down.

An Caisteal and Beinn a' Chroin are a fairly long day out with some steep scrambling inbetween and boggy end section.

If you don't like bogs avoid the back of Ben Lui like the plague but if you can handle that and a decent path otherwise, Beinn a Chleibh next door is also one of the smallest Mumros so another option depending on your abilities, or a pair to keep once you have built up some more hill fitness and bog desensitivity. :lol:

Beinn Bhuidhe is a long hard day out up a big mountain with a small, steep and exposed scramble although it can be avoided.

Bidean nam Bian and Buachaille Etive Mor are big days out on big mountains so possibly not ideal for your requirements.

Other than that and Ben Lomond, i've only done some of the most remote Munros around Loch Monar and The Forest of Atholl so I doubt those ones will appeal! :wink:

I'm sure others can add a lot more but that's a brief summary of what i've found easier to date that your group would hopefully enjoy, have fun wherever you go and don't forget the wee hills. :D
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:13 am

If you want really easy ones, you can drive high up to Glen Shee and do the surrounding peaks, some even have chairlifts! Or Aonach Mhor, which has a ski gondola which takes you up above two thousand feet so you are right up in the interesting terrain.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:54 am

Here's another link to a top ten easy Munros.

https://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/10easy.html

Good luck.
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:24 am

I would not get bogged down with just Munros,there are Corbetts and Grahams which would give you just as much enjoyment especially since your just starting out and a wider range of hills to do.
You can choose hills by region in Walkhighlands.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/corbetts/corbetts-region

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/grahams/grahams-region
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby al78 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:51 am

Agree that lower hills can give just as good a day out as Munros. Beinn Lora, Benderloch (near Oban) is only a fraction over 300m high, but it is a fantastic viewpoint, and there is a forestry commission path most of the way to the summit.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby al78 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:55 am

ScotFinn65 wrote:Here's another link to a top ten easy Munros.

Good luck.

Hmm, what Steve Fallon considers easy might differ from lesser mortals. I'm not sure Schiehallion should be in that list. It is a bit of a slog up a boulder field by its easiest route, full of false summits.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Sgurr » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:21 pm

Suggest you get 2 pairs of walking poles for the knees. Husband's knees are awful, but he finds descents much better with them. We have met a guy on a summit whose penultimate Munro it was, and he had done them all since his retirement in just under 4 years...mind you, it had become an obsession. We are now 79 and 80, and still managed a Munro this year (though we are now onto Wainwrights) so plenty of time yet.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby KWC54 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:47 pm

Thank you all so very much for your helpful advise and comments
I’ll sift through them in due course.
But I’ll leave the Munro’s till the Soring comes in or the threat of snow is lessoned
Regards
Kenny
KWC54
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Raynor » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:13 pm

al78 wrote:
ScotFinn65 wrote:Here's another link to a top ten easy Munros.

Good luck.

Hmm, what Steve Fallon considers easy might differ from lesser mortals. I'm not sure Schiehallion should be in that list. It is a bit of a slog up a boulder field by its easiest route, full of false summits.

I suppose it's all down to opinions and experiences. For me, I always find Ben Lomond a long drawn out slog, especially the tourist path, yet it is always listed as an "easy" munro for beginners.It may be easy in the sense that it is easy to get to and hard to get lost but I know a few people who have failed to reach the top on their first try.

If I am lacking hill fitness or walking with newbies, I usually go up Ben Vane which I find easy and short but from looking at reports on here, there are many that find it steep and hard.
Raynor

Munros:110   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:4

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion