walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Another ask from me sorry

Another ask from me sorry

Postby KWC54 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

I’ve been researching walking boots and their reviews on the Internet and got it down to seven makes and models to suit my budget of around £100. I know your not going to get quality top end boots for that but based on the reviews and the fact I will only be walking 75-100 miles per month thought they would suite in the interim.
The ones I had my eyes on were the Scarpa Bora GTX but can’t find them anywhere and suspect then may even be discountinued?

I have an old pair of Hawkins I’ve had for thirty years approx when I did more walking back then, but deciddd to get out the house and explore again.
Anyone suggest a pair similar to those with regard to reliability and waterproof etc. Don’t mind going over £100 a little if the boot has good reviews.
In the meantime these are the old boots I will use in the meantime, albeit they need another dubbing coat.
Attachments
05CDE8F7-625C-4F31-B6E8-DDAFC3857FE1.jpeg
KWC54
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Another ask from me sorry

Postby jmarkb » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:27 pm

Scarpa no longer list the Bora on their website, so it appears to be discontinued. Replacement model seems to be the Mistral, which you can find for £120-130 online.

Of course fit is the most important thing so do try on as many options as you can before deciding what to buy.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:38 pm

As above, fit is everything so don't get hung up on a particular make. However, its good to have general advice as to which brands people like. Scarpa fit me, so I'm happy with them and as mentioned their fabric/GTX boots should be available for not much over the £100 mark.

I'm not sure many people would use the word "only" when talking about walking 100 miles a month! :D Many would kill to get out that much :lol:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Chris Mac » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:58 pm

Mal Grey wrote:I'm not sure many people would use the word "only" when talking about walking 100 miles a month! :D Many would kill to get out that much :lol:

Roll on retirement!! :lol:

Only 20+ years or so to wait. :(
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Uncle bob » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:47 pm

Don't know if my recommendation counts ...Meindl Bhutans ...only boots I've worn in years ...they have never let me down .

also the walking 100miles per mth.... i just jotted down my weekly walking mileage , was going to put down 5 mile per day for 6 days and 1 day a week 15 mile ( excluding hiking trips ) ....but even cutting it down to 3 mile per day for 5 days and 2 days at 10 mile ...I get that to 140 mile per mth ...i really have gone low with the mileage estimate ....never added it up before ...but i am retired ...dislike driving ...love free rail and bus pass....and as my 93 yr old father keeps telling me ..." use em or lose em ".
Uncle bob
Hill Bagger

Postby fhaggis » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:35 pm

To be honest, not that sure “good” boots are thing anymore unless your paying a fortune and I think slot of the cheaper ones have caught up.

I have a pair of Mammut boots for the hills, and salon trainers for long walks (did west and east highland way in them)

Don’t really consider wearing my boots unless it’s really muddy or off path now, walking trainers are much more comfortable.

Also make sure you try boots on before you buy, and preferably at the end of the day after would been walking around all day (it affects the shape/size) of feet. Take ages walking around the shop with them on. I tried loads of boots and really struggled to get a decent fit with my feet.

If your going out in the hills, get a decent pair, of your walking on paths and staying local etc get cheaper ones amd/or trainers
fhaggis
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby ChrisButch » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:56 pm

Those Hawkins boots look remarkably well looked-after. Surely you must have had them resoled at some time? I can't see any boot you could buy today lasting another 30 years, alas.
ChrisButch

Postby KWC54 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:18 am

ChrisButch wrote:Those Hawkins boots look remarkably well looked-after. Surely you must have had them resoled at some time? I can't see any boot you could buy today lasting another 30 years, alas.

Yes they do lol great Chris. But when I bought them at that time I did a few longish walks and put them away as my other hobbies (fishing mainly) meant I didn’t have the time to peruse hill walking that much or that was my excuse lol
Then and apart from the very occasional walk locally never wore them much until I was somehow convinced I could walk up Ben Lomond (see picture below of a rather knackered ol Guy lying down taking a long breather lol) about 4-5 years ago. That I thought was that - my last Munro as coming down was worse than going up.
So they are original soles and I used to apply dubbing on them after every walk or so and they need done again.
So why do I want to resurrect walking now? Well being retired and reasonably fit with plenty of time on my hands decided I want to stay as fit as I can going forward.
Hence the ask for info on new better boots etc
KWC54
Mountaineer

Postby KWC54 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:20 am

ChrisButch wrote:Those Hawkins boots look remarkably well looked-after. Surely you must have had them resoled at some time? I can't see any boot you could buy today lasting another 30 years, alas.

Yes they do look great Chris. But when I bought them at that time I did a few longish walks and put them away as my other hobbies (fishing mainly) meant I didn’t have the time to pursue hill walking that much or that was my excuse lol
Then and apart from the very occasional walk locally never wore them much until I was somehow convinced I could walk up Ben Lomond (see picture below of a rather knackered ol Guy lying down taking a long breather lol) about 4-5 years ago. That I thought was that - my last Munro as coming down was worse than going up.
So they are original soles and I used to apply dubbing on them after every walk or so and they need done again.
So why do I want to resurrect walking now? Well being retired and reasonably fit with plenty of time on my hands decided I want to stay as fit as I can going forward.
Hence the ask for info on new better boots etc
Attachments
A6F56BB1-B86B-4CF1-88C4-223741024029.jpeg
KWC54
Mountaineer

Postby KWC54 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:26 am

Thank you all once again for your advice and suggestions I will buy a pair in a shop(s) where I can try them on etc

ADMIN please could you delete the first reply to Chris as it didn’t have the photo within - thanks
KWC54
Mountaineer

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:30 am

KWC54 wrote:albeit they need another dubbing coat.

You're better using a beeswax dressing like G-wax, dubbin rots the stitching eventually.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby mynthdd2 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:01 pm

Chris Mac wrote:
Mal Grey wrote:I'm not sure many people would use the word "only" when talking about walking 100 miles a month! :D Many would kill to get out that much :lol:

Roll on retirement!! :lol:

Only 20+ years or so to wait. :(

don't be too hasty to wish for retirement - it does tend to bring a much[u] restricted skill set - ask my knees what they feel - as for my hips.....[/u]
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby KWC54 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:10 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
KWC54 wrote:albeit they need another dubbing coat.

You're better using a beeswax dressing like G-wax, dubbin rots the stitching eventually.

Ahh didnt know that and been using the stuff for years.

I will buy some Beeswax at the weekend
KWC54
Mountaineer

Postby Sgurr » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:41 pm

Brasher, Brasher, Brasher, Brasher and Brasher

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby KWC54 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:52 pm

Brashers good then lol
KWC54
Mountaineer

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion