walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Kintyre Way in May

Re: Kintyre Way in May

Postby davekeiller » Sun May 02, 2021 11:52 am

There's a campsite at Callander.
I've stayed at Immervoulin which is near Strathyre, and that's a good campsite. I would expect there to be a campsite near Aberfoyle because the whole area up to Strathyre is in the camping management zone. Look on the Loch Lomond and Trossachs website here https://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/things-to-do/camping/go-wild/ for details.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Tazmania » Mon May 03, 2021 9:03 pm

al78 wrote:Given April and the start of May have seen persistent below-average temperatures, maybe the midges will be out later than normal this year.

Thanks. In fact, that's what I told a friend of mine today!
Tazmania
Backpacker

Postby Tazmania » Mon May 03, 2021 9:05 pm

Thanks for the help and replies.
Tazmania
Backpacker

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue May 04, 2021 8:12 am

Tazmania wrote:
al78 wrote:Given April and the start of May have seen persistent below-average temperatures, maybe the midges will be out later than normal this year.

Thanks. In fact, that's what I told a friend of mine today!

I don't think that cold affects them. They are in league with Beelzebub and can withstand anything. It's dryness that affects them, but we haven't had a proper drought in years. :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Tazmania » Tue May 04, 2021 9:48 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
Tazmania wrote: the Cairngorms National Park is of course nearby. I presume there are one-day walks in the park but are there any camp sites?

I don't know the Rob Roy Way but I am familiar with the Cairngorms. If you finish up at Pitlochry you could get a train or bus up to Aviemore, replenish supplies and hike out to Loch Morlich where there is a very good campsite, and plenty of day walks amongst natural Scots Pine forest with loads of wildlife, or higher up amongst the hills with impressive views. It's a great spot. On the other side of the Cairngorms the village of Braemar has a campsite on the road out towards Glen Shee. That's a nice spot too. Ballater has a campsite by the River Dee.

Is the camp site you refer to at Loch Morlich Glenmore Camping In The Forest?

Am I right in thinking the walk from Aviemore station to Loch Morlich takes between 2 and 3 hours?

I notice there is no camp site or hostel at Aviemore.

Many thanks for this - I would have been unaware of these spots otherwise.
Tazmania
Backpacker

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu May 06, 2021 7:20 am

Tazmania wrote:Is the camp site you refer to at Loch Morlich Glenmore Camping In The Forest?
Am I right in thinking the walk from Aviemore station to Loch Morlich takes between 2 and 3 hours?
I notice there is no camp site or hostel at Aviemore.

I do not know the name of the campsite at Loch Morlich, the time taken to get there also I could not say - I have a car so scoot along happily. I used to hitch-hike but maybe in Covid Times we cannot expect any success there. There was a Scottish Youth Hostels Association hostel in Aviemore before Covid, maybe it will open up again. There was also a Yoof Hostel up in the hills - Cairngorm Lodge. Glenmore Lodge had a bunkhouse too. A quick Google shows Yoof Hostels are closed til the end of May. https://www.hostellingscotland.org.uk/covid-19-update/
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby davekeiller » Thu May 06, 2021 9:22 pm

I'm not sure of the name, but that sounds about right for the time taken to walk. I think there's a bus (it runs from the station to the ski centre, and I think it stops near the campsite).
There's also a campsite at Newtonmore, which is a much smaller place so the campsite is much closer to the station.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion