walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

straying off paths

straying off paths

Postby yourname » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:19 pm

Possibly (Probably) a very stupid question, but i'll fire away anyway.

What is the opinion on people not using the paths when there are paths available?

I'm off to the Cairngorms in April, and would like to show Mrs Yourname some of the basics of orienteering. That way I can relax safe in the knowledge that when we get caught in fog somewhere 2 days later, she can guide me home safely.

For this, I guess its best not to be on paths. Is it considered disrespectful and damaging to the environment to be rambling about in the heather on the lower slopes, instead of using the available paths? Where I live, its no problem to stray off the paths, but I wanted to check with others before we get booted out the park on day 1 for stepping on a grouse.
yourname
Mountain Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:10
Walk wish-list

Re: straying off paths

Postby yourname » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:29 pm

Oh wait hang on, it looks like "orienteering" means some sort of race.

I meant just learning how to navigate using a map and compass. No running.
yourname
Mountain Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:10
Walk wish-list

Postby davekeiller » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:57 pm

You do realise that in most of Scotland the path doesn't really exist, right?
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:00 pm

Stray off paths as much as you want, creating bespoke routes off the beaten track is good fun and not frowned upon in any way once you're on the open hillside.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Raynor » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:14 pm

Feel free to wander. In Scotland you have a 'right to roam'. In actual fact, people continually walking on hill paths/trails leads to erosion problems. The main exception to that is on shooting estates during stalking season, where they will want you to stay on known paths/routes to avoid disturbing deer.
Raynor

Munros:110   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:4

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:29 pm

paths are boring.....
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:32 pm

It depends if there's stalking on. If so and the estate has nominated preferred routes then those should be adhered to. I'd also try to avoid contributing to erosion although I've not done one of the very popular munros with that kind of path in quite a while.

I find that Corbett bagging usefully involves trudging through a heather or up some rocky slabs wishing there were a path at times!
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Uncle bob » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:12 pm

Going off path is good in Scotland ...till you meet a deer fence and face a long walk to a gate/style ....and have you ever done heather bashing ....i had done small bits ...easy peasey ....i went to the welsh hills proper all day, off path heather bashing .....bear with me.....i do core exercises 140 sit ups and side crunchies every morning....i do dancing and take care of my core .... (.thanks for bearing with me ),

the next day after wading through all the heather ...my stomach muscles were in knots....it was painful to cough . Enjoy your walk ...i have already sung the praises of a book " Ultimate Navigation Manual " by Lyle Brotherton ....its a good easy read and will increase your skills with map and compass.
Uncle bob
Hill Bagger

Postby mash tun » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:22 pm

Provided you can do it safely (and aren't thigh deep in snow up on the Cairngorm plateau in April :shock: ), go for it :)
mash tun

Postby gaffr » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:57 am

Hello... Orienteering is a good way to get confident when using a map.
The Scottish Orienteering governing body is based at Glenmore Lodge.
Ask there on website where permanent and seasonal courses can be accessed....e.g.there is a seasonal courses set out for use until the end of February a short distance from Feshie Bridge.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:28 am

I believe that Mar Lodge Estate on the Braemar side of the Cairngorms has no deer stalking; going off-path there is good fun. And if you do get lost, just folow a river down.

Glen Lui April 08 002.jpg
Luibeg to Carn Crom, Cairngorms.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby malrobb » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:34 pm

Some walks do encourage you to stay on them e.g. Schieahallion. The walk reports advise you to not short cut etc but this advice is usually for some of the busiest hills and mountains so understandable to avoid erosion etc.
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Munros:201   

Postby katyhills » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:45 pm

I'd agree with @malrobb. There are some hills where staying on paths is necessary, because of erosion, and paths are created/maintained to avoid further deterioration. It's most important on popular hills like Schiehallion and Ben Wyvis etc, due to the high footfall.
Wyvis is a good example of this, and people were being asked to keep to the main stretch on the ridge/plateau especially, to avoid more harm being done to the environment. Sadly, some unpleasant characters decided to ignore this and took off road vehicles up there a few years ago, leaving a trail of destruction. :-x

It comes down to a bit of common sense though. If you fancy a wander off the main path, and the conditions, and your fitness levels, are suitable, there's no problem, and you can enjoy a little experimentation.
It goes without saying that deer stalking season always has to be taken into account, as well as being respectful and courteous of farming practice, but I'm sure you already know that. :)
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Sgurr » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:05 pm

Marilyn bagging (particularly of the sub2000 ft kind) involves a lot of that sort of stuff

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby al78 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:32 pm

katyhills wrote:I'd agree with @malrobb. There are some hills where staying on paths is necessary, because of erosion, and paths are created/maintained to avoid further deterioration. It's most important on popular hills like Schiehallion and Ben Wyvis etc, due to the high footfall.
Wyvis is a good example of this, and people were being asked to keep to the main stretch on the ridge/plateau especially, to avoid more harm being done to the environment. Sadly, some unpleasant characters decided to ignore this and took off road vehicles up there a few years ago, leaving a trail of destruction. :-x

It comes down to a bit of common sense though. If you fancy a wander off the main path, and the conditions, and your fitness levels, are suitable, there's no problem, and you can enjoy a little experimentation.
It goes without saying that deer stalking season always has to be taken into account, as well as being respectful and courteous of farming practice, but I'm sure you already know that. :)

The irony is that the erosion on some hills is caused by there being one honeypot route, exasperated by someone building a car park at its base. If people were left to their own devices to find their own route up, that may spread the load meaning that no one route gets badly eroded. Schehallion has a car park at the start of its easiest route, but there is a longer alternative route which goes up a glen (Gleann Mor) then ascends a steeper route on the opposite side. If more people used that as an alternative, the honeypot route wouldn't be as badly eroded.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion