walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

deepest peat bog

Re: deepest peat bog

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:58 am

Plavuizen wrote:...But seriously, how dangerous are these peat bogs? I always walk alone, so no one to pull me out. And how to recognize these peat bogs?

Mostly bogs are shallow and the only danger is getting filthy or floundering around wasting energy and time. But there are a few places which are worth avoiding: Rannoch Moor has many "quaking bog" areas which could swallow you and your body would be hidden under the moss. The Silver Flow is a raised bog in Galloway which has an evil reputation and has claimed at least one life - a woman was found dead amongst the peat hags and from the marks in the peat she had obviously tried to get out for some time before succumbing to exposure. Galloway has some very remote, empty boglands, not for the lone hiker.

SilverFlow#R.jpg
Silver Flow, Galloway
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Re: deepest peat bog

Postby LaurenAlexandraAgain » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:16 pm

Clach Liath wrote:Reminds me of this which did the rounds a little while back:

I think the funniest part of this video is the cameraman's helpless laughter! :lol:

Deepest I've ever gone is hip-deep (one leg), on my first-ever trip to Skye. I managed to clean up when I got where I was going, only to fall in again in the exact same spot on the return trip.
LaurenAlexandraAgain
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:22

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion