walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Peanmeanach bothy to close as an open shelter

Re: Peanmeanach bothy to close as an open shelter

Postby crfishwick » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:52 am

Essan wrote:
crfishwick wrote:
Giant Stoneater wrote:Don't forget the Tarf Hotel which you would consider remote had the sleeping platforms burnt in 2018 so all bothies are not immune from idiots..

Was that deliberate or a fool leaving a fire or something lit?

Sawn up and burnt on the fire

That beggars belief!
crfishwick

Postby crfishwick » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:04 pm

[quote="Sunset
Having said that when I was in Carnmore (which is pretty remote) a few years back there was the remains of a fire in the bothy/barn and it doesnt have a chimney or a stove. :shock:.[/quote]

Carnmore "bothy' that's a place and a half. Been there a few times. The first when it was just a ruin without a roof :wink: The next a roof added but still a a tip. Although work on the lodge was in progress. I wonder if they improved the "bothy" doubt it. Even my dog wouldn't set foot in the place so must have been grim :lol: :lol:
crfishwick

Postby Chris Henshall » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:54 pm

There’s a fair few interesting points raised here – especially Nigheandonn’s musings on the possibility of the MBA taking their roof with them when they go – but, despite the obvious concerns about inconsiderate behaviour by some bothy users, the key issue for me remains that, while a legal right to exclude the general population from a shelter which has been in public use for nearly half a century may exist, the landowner doesn’t have a moral right to extinguish what has become, by usage, a communal entitlement.
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Essan » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:27 pm

Chris Henshall wrote:There’s a fair few interesting points raised here – especially Nigheandonn’s musings on the possibility of the MBA taking their roof with them when they go – but, despite the obvious concerns about inconsiderate behaviour by some bothy users, the key issue for me remains that, while a legal right to exclude the general population from a shelter which has been in public use for nearly half a century may exist, the landowner doesn’t have a moral right to extinguish what has become, by usage, a communal entitlement.

Any more than walkers and kayakers have a moral right to dump their litter, hack down the trees and **** in pots inside the bothy ;)

Personally, the more stories I hear, the more I wish the bothy had closed down years ago .... And it's not as though it's needed as an emergency refuge.
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby crfishwick » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:40 pm

Essan wrote:
Chris Henshall wrote:There’s a fair few interesting points raised here – especially Nigheandonn’s musings on the possibility of the MBA taking their roof with them when they go – but, despite the obvious concerns about inconsiderate behaviour by some bothy users, the key issue for me remains that, while a legal right to exclude the general population from a shelter which has been in public use for nearly half a century may exist, the landowner doesn’t have a moral right to extinguish what has become, by usage, a communal entitlement.

Any more than walkers and kayakers have a moral right to dump their litter, hack down the trees and **** in pots inside the bothy ;)

Personally, the more stories I hear, the more I wish the bothy had closed down years ago .... And it's not as though it's needed as an emergency refuge.

I agree entirely. Nothing morally wrong about estates trying to preserve their property. Too many people seem to think they have the rights to dictate to others.

Most estates have been over the years amenable to the walking fraternity but as I say some folk think it's their god given rights to do what they want MORALLY 😂
crfishwick

Postby Senja » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:52 pm

Last there in 1987. It was busy, live trees cut(Coppiced) and there was a litter problem.

Worth remembering that it has been promoted by a major English newspaper as an idea for a cheap holiday, who knows where else on the mainland - it was in a popular German guidebook back then.

Still plenty of good camping spots out there
Senja

Munros:132   Corbetts:27
Fionas:189   Donalds:58
Sub 2000:479   Hewitts:298
Wainwrights:97   Islands:64

Postby Gundram » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:38 am

Sad to hear about this. I went to Peanmeanach last year in May and enjoyed the bothy, the delicious mussels and the good company of some other walkers & kayakers we met there a lot. It would be a shame, if more bothies get lost because of a handful of idiots ignoring the bothy code.
Gundram
Mountaineer

Postby Graeme D » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:57 am

Essan wrote:
Sadly, despite books, articles, websites and other publicity telling people how to behave, there are now too many who do not care and have no sense of social responsibility.

Nail on the head. The "blame" starts and ends right there. A sorry reflection on society.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby peterraikman » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:03 pm

Mullochbuie - the remaining walls are about 3- 4 foot high, but I don't think were wind or water-proof, and may have to be taken down to ground level. The area is relatively sheltered by higher ground, and the coast is quite unsuitable for kayakers to land on, as well as being about 300' down a steep slope. Unfortunately there is no shortage of nearby woodland.
I can quite understand " No fires ", as the great Ardnish wildfire about 10 years ago was reckoned to have started at Peanmeanach. Difficult to police fires, as I found in very recent years at a bothy I looked after ( with no fire ). I would find either the remains of an outdoor fire or little piles of wood semi-hidden away for the next one. All that I found I threw as far as I could into the bog, dug the fire area, and let the estate know.
Families, I occasionally found. One in particular irked me. They must have sensed my displeasure, as they made a hasty departure. Afterwards I found NERF bullets in the heather around ( do they think that we don't inspect the environs ). I could imagine someone else seeing them and thinking " We could bring our ……….". And so on. If you want to have fun with your children, stick to your back garden or a playground. There is fun and there is FUN. and it is not fun when it annoys others.
And it does not contribute to an understanding of the outdoor world, or to social interaction and responsibility.
Most years I have taken various grandchildren to our climbing club hut. I know that they appreciate their trips, and know how to behave, but it is still nice when someone quietly compliments you on this.
peterraikman
Hill Bagger

Postby Raynor » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:32 pm

Lets' face it, bothies are more and more being used as free holiday accomodation by large groups who seem to go there with the sole purpose of a **** up and then post some edgy trip photos to make themselves look cool on social media. This is all fueled by the inappropriate advertising from various sources (books/newspapers/blogs etc) such as "top ten quirky holiday getaways". You just have to do a search on youtube to see the type of idiots that are abusing them.

It is very common now to hear of hill walkers turned away from a bothy because it is full of a group of "lads" drinking. I'm amazed landowners have tolerated it for so long and I am not surprised in the slightest when the plug is pulled.
Emergency shelter in remote areas have become drinking dens for idiots. Pretty much sums up this country unfortunately.
Raynor

Munros:110   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:4

The real reason for the closure of Peanmeanach bothy

Postby Ronnie Hillbagger » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:56 pm

The following e-mail (with names/e-mail addresses marked as 'REDACTED') was sent by the owner of Ardnish estate to the Chairman and an Area Organiser of Mountain Bothies Association as formal notice of closure of Peanmeanach bothy later this year. It clearly shows that the Scottish Bothy Bible was a major cause for concern by the bothy owner. Make of it what you will.

"From: REDACTED [REDACTED]
Sent: 17 February 2020 21:09
To: ‘REDACTED' <REDACTED>; REDACTEDl' <REDACTED>
Subject: Peanmeanach Bothy

Dear REDACTED and REDACTED

Following our meeting last year, and subsequent emails and discussions regarding the future of the Peanmeanach Bothy, with yourselves and the author and publisher of the Bothy Bible and Bothy Walks, I have concluded that the pressure on the bothy following the publication of The Bothy Bible is now unsustainable, and the imminent inclusion in the Scottish Bothy Walks book will only exacerbate this problem in the future.

The number of live trees that are being cut down for firewood around the bothy has been an ongoing issue for the last 5 years or so, and the level of damage seems to increase year on year in line with the increased numbers. We discussed some ways to mitigate the impacts, such as composting toilets, however the general feeling of those who I have sounded out on this, is that this is likely to further increase the visitor numbers.

I am therefore giving formal notice to the MBA that the Peanmeanach bothy will cease to be an open access bothy under the umbrella of the MBA. I can find no documents that stipulate a notice period, so to allow time for the word to spread of the closure, I have allowed over seven months so the MBA to erect notices etc
The bothy has been maintained by the MBA since 1975, and I would like to formally thank all those who have managed and maintained it, over the years. It has given much pleasure to many hikers and travellers, but the world does not stand still. The bothy has over the years been The Teachers House, a Post Office, as well as being used by a group for Badger Researchers and a Summer Camp for children from the Gorball’s, and it will shortly become a bookable bothy.

The bothy will be locked and shuttered from early October 2020, and will then be renovated. It will be opened in early summer 2021, on a not-for-profit basis as a keyed bookable bothy, with a payment per night/weekend. Any annual profit will be used to further enhance the bothy (or other bothies) , and will also establish a sinking fund for larger repairs (e.g. the roof). This will I believe allow the bothy to continue to be enjoyed by walkers, however by being able to control the numbers staying in the bothy, it will I hope be at a sustainable level.

We discussed the possibility of the MBA having another bothy (with no chimney or fireplace) on the peninsular. I will look at some of the derelict black houses which could be renovated when I am up at Ardnish in March.

Best regards

REDACTED

REDCATED

Ardnish Estate
REDACTED"
Ronnie Hillbagger
Mountain Walker

Re: The real reason for the closure of Peanmeanach bothy

Postby Landsoul » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:15 am

MODERATOR: This post has been removed as it contains a personal attack. Please see our moderation policy
Landsoul

Munros:282   

Postby Old Stag » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:10 pm

There's an article written by G.Allan in the Guardian today about bothy walks to MBA bothies for overnighters and a non MBA bothy is mentioned as a good place for a 'pit-stop'.
The print version also suggest they are good places for 'free nights' and you don't need to take a tent with you.
Old Stag

Postby Ronnie Hillbagger » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:19 pm

MODERATOR: Post deleted and warning sent for personal attack.
Ronnie Hillbagger
Mountain Walker

Postby Landsoul » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:20 pm

MODERATOR: User banned.
Landsoul

Munros:282   

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion