Munro’s in gales
by Chestnut-mare » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:30 am
by jmarkb » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:47 am
by davekeiller » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:01 pm
by gaffr » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:12 pm
More so for we aged ones.
by Chestnut-mare » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:19 pm
gaffr wrote:Hello... I would say that you are taking sensible action if when getting knocked about in the wind prior to reaching the summit....on other words get the hell out of it.
More so for we aged ones.
Agreed! I was extremely disappointed & kept hoping it was just gusts that I could work through but it just kept battering me. The annoying thing was the forecast had been for winds of 20/30 so wasn’t expecting it to be so tough. Surely this weather can’t last forever grrrr
by Chestnut-mare » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:20 pm
davekeiller wrote:Depends on the conditions and the nature of the route (e.g. exposed ridges, snow etc.) however, I know from experience that I can't walk in a straight line if the wind is above about 50mph, and above about 60mph standing up becomes difficult.
That’s very useful advice. Thank you
by Chestnut-mare » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:22 pm
jmarkb wrote:I'm planning on heading out tomorrow - forecast is for 45mph initially, easing during the day. I will usually think twice if forecast mean windspeeds are much over 50mph - picking lower hills and/or choosing short and mainly sheltered routes can help salvage a day. On windy days it's a good idea to avoid steep, exposed or technical terrain, so the consequences of getting blown over are not so serious.
Which area are you debating? I suppose being fairly new to the mountains I’ve been doing the closest & easiest to Edinburgh & not taking all aspects into account. I do a fair bit of research but I’ll be even more picky in these conditions!
by Dave Hewitt » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:32 pm
- Dave Hewitt
- Posts: 404
- Joined: Apr 29, 2010
by jmarkb » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:49 pm
Chestnut-mare wrote: Which area are you debating? I suppose being fairly new to the mountains I’ve been doing the closest & easiest to Edinburgh & not taking all aspects into account. I do a fair bit of research but I’ll be even more picky in these conditions!
Will check forecast again later, but east is looking best, so maybe Glenshee area. Might take the touring skis, in which case summits are not really a priority.
Chestnut-mare wrote:Agreed! I was extremely disappointed & kept hoping it was just gusts that I could work through but it just kept battering me. The annoying thing was the forecast had been for winds of 20/30 so wasn’t expecting it to be so tough.
In some weather conditions (especially high pressure) winds can be locally much stronger than forecast. We had a real battle on the south ridge of Lawers in January (came close to turning back) but the top of Beinn Ghlas was only half the windspeed.
by Culardoch » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:15 pm
- Posts: 42
- Joined: Dec 8, 2018
by madprof » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:11 pm
Chestnut-mare wrote:Is everyone still climbing during this windy spell? Been checking the mountain forecasts & weather is finally looking better for this Sunday but the winds are still strong. Had to retreat off meall tarmachan a few weeks ago after being blown off my feet so treading cautiously now! Is anyone climbing this weekend? What wind speed would you avoid on the forecasts?
In the last week I did Fionn Bheinn, attempted Beinn Alligin via the pinnacles and turned around on the way up to the first Munro and then did Ruadh-Stac Mor on Beinn Eighe but having got over to Spidean Coire nan Clach I decided not to scramble over to the top due to the high winds and descended, avoiding the avalanche-poised eastern coire.
All of them involved having snow and hail thrown in my face at high speed. The UKH link about wind speeds is fantastic.
by AHillTooFar » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:09 pm
Really don't enjoy the wind especially with temperatures are low. I have been out in wind in July even and did not enjoy it even though at ground level the day was great.
by iain_atkinson_1986 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:03 am
by jmarkb » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:12 pm
We went for a wee ski tour up Carn a' Gheoidh. Quite windy on top (Cairnwell reporting 40 - 45 mph in the middle of the day) and very cold, with plenty of drifting snow, but otherwise quite a nice day. Only hung around long enough on the top to swap into downhill mode and skitter across a hundred yards of ice before getting into the good powder!
by BlackPanther » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:58 pm
It didn't help that Kevin deliberately picked pathless routes up little bumps:
- There is a good path on the other side of the hill, you know...