walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Munro’s in gales

Munro’s in gales


Postby Chestnut-mare » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:30 am

Is everyone still climbing during this windy spell? Been checking the mountain forecasts & weather is finally looking better for this Sunday but the winds are still strong. Had to retreat off meall tarmachan a few weeks ago after being blown off my feet so treading cautiously now! Is anyone climbing this weekend? What wind speed would you avoid on the forecasts?
Chestnut-mare
 
Posts: 5
Munros:17   Corbetts:1
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:4   
Joined: Nov 4, 2019

Re: Munro’s in gales

Postby jmarkb » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:47 am

I'm planning on heading out tomorrow - forecast is for 45mph initially, easing during the day. I will usually think twice if forecast mean windspeeds are much over 50mph - picking lower hills and/or choosing short and mainly sheltered routes can help salvage a day. On windy days it's a good idea to avoid steep, exposed or technical terrain, so the consequences of getting blown over are not so serious.
jmarkb
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 4218
Munros:241   Corbetts:95
Grahams:78   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:42   
Joined: Oct 28, 2011
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Munro’s in gales

Postby davekeiller » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:01 pm

Depends on the conditions and the nature of the route (e.g. exposed ridges, snow etc.) however, I know from experience that I can't walk in a straight line if the wind is above about 50mph, and above about 60mph standing up becomes difficult.
davekeiller
 
Posts: 455
Munros:145   Corbetts:19
Grahams:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   
Joined: Oct 25, 2013

Re: Munro’s in gales

Postby gaffr » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:12 pm

Hello... I would say that you are taking sensible action if when getting knocked about in the wind prior to reaching the summit....on other words get the hell out of it.
More so for we aged ones.:-(
User avatar
gaffr
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 1847
Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Grahams:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   
Joined: Oct 25, 2009
Location: Highland.

Re: Munro’s in gales

Postby Chestnut-mare » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:19 pm

gaffr wrote:Hello... I would say that you are taking sensible action if when getting knocked about in the wind prior to reaching the summit....on other words get the hell out of it.
More so for we aged ones.:-(

Agreed! I was extremely disappointed & kept hoping it was just gusts that I could work through but it just kept battering me. The annoying thing was the forecast had been for winds of 20/30 so wasn’t expecting it to be so tough. Surely this weather can’t last forever grrrr
Chestnut-mare
 
Posts: 5
Munros:17   Corbetts:1
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:4   
Joined: Nov 4, 2019

Re: Munro’s in gales

Postby Chestnut-mare » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:20 pm

davekeiller wrote:Depends on the conditions and the nature of the route (e.g. exposed ridges, snow etc.) however, I know from experience that I can't walk in a straight line if the wind is above about 50mph, and above about 60mph standing up becomes difficult.

That’s very useful advice. Thank you
Chestnut-mare
 
Posts: 5
Munros:17   Corbetts:1
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:4   
Joined: Nov 4, 2019

Re: Munro’s in gales

Postby Chestnut-mare » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:22 pm

jmarkb wrote:I'm planning on heading out tomorrow - forecast is for 45mph initially, easing during the day. I will usually think twice if forecast mean windspeeds are much over 50mph - picking lower hills and/or choosing short and mainly sheltered routes can help salvage a day. On windy days it's a good idea to avoid steep, exposed or technical terrain, so the consequences of getting blown over are not so serious.

Which area are you debating? I suppose being fairly new to the mountains I’ve been doing the closest & easiest to Edinburgh & not taking all aspects into account. I do a fair bit of research but I’ll be even more picky in these conditions!
Chestnut-mare
 
Posts: 5
Munros:17   Corbetts:1
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:4   
Joined: Nov 4, 2019

Re: Munro’s in gales

Postby Dave Hewitt » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:32 pm

Snow conditions likely to be pretty tricky/unpleasant on Munros tomorrow even if the winds do ease off. Like jmarkb I'm hoping to get out (if flooded roads around the village here allow), but the Munros hold no appeal in this - it'll be an Ochils outing for a legstretch and some headspace. Bigger stuff - even the standard Stirling-ish standby of Ben Ledi - can wait. Tally for the (very wet/windy) year thus far: 15 outings - one Munro, 14 Ochils!
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Apr 29, 2010

Re: Munro’s in gales

Postby jmarkb » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:49 pm

Chestnut-mare wrote: Which area are you debating? I suppose being fairly new to the mountains I’ve been doing the closest & easiest to Edinburgh & not taking all aspects into account. I do a fair bit of research but I’ll be even more picky in these conditions!


Will check forecast again later, but east is looking best, so maybe Glenshee area. Might take the touring skis, in which case summits are not really a priority.


Chestnut-mare wrote:Agreed! I was extremely disappointed & kept hoping it was just gusts that I could work through but it just kept battering me. The annoying thing was the forecast had been for winds of 20/30 so wasn’t expecting it to be so tough.


In some weather conditions (especially high pressure) winds can be locally much stronger than forecast. We had a real battle on the south ridge of Lawers in January (came close to turning back) but the top of Beinn Ghlas was only half the windspeed.
jmarkb
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 4218
Munros:241   Corbetts:95
Grahams:78   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:42   
Joined: Oct 28, 2011
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Munro’s in gales

Postby Culardoch » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:15 pm

Culardoch
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Dec 8, 2018

Re: Munro’s in gales

Postby madprof » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:11 pm

Chestnut-mare wrote:Is everyone still climbing during this windy spell? Been checking the mountain forecasts & weather is finally looking better for this Sunday but the winds are still strong. Had to retreat off meall tarmachan a few weeks ago after being blown off my feet so treading cautiously now! Is anyone climbing this weekend? What wind speed would you avoid on the forecasts?


In the last week I did Fionn Bheinn, attempted Beinn Alligin via the pinnacles and turned around on the way up to the first Munro and then did Ruadh-Stac Mor on Beinn Eighe but having got over to Spidean Coire nan Clach I decided not to scramble over to the top due to the high winds and descended, avoiding the avalanche-poised eastern coire.

All of them involved having snow and hail thrown in my face at high speed. The UKH link about wind speeds is fantastic.
madprof
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 192
Munros:47   Corbetts:2
Grahams:1   
Joined: Nov 20, 2012
Walk wish-list

Re: Munro’s in gales

Postby AHillTooFar » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:09 pm

I am staying down low till it all blows over.

Really don't enjoy the wind especially with temperatures are low. I have been out in wind in July even and did not enjoy it even though at ground level the day was great.
AHillTooFar
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 51
Munros:27   Corbetts:11
Grahams:2   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:1   
Joined: Oct 29, 2017

Re: Munro’s in gales

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:03 am

Not been out in about 5/6 weeks which is the longest I've gone in three years. When MWIS uses the word 'tortuous' to describe the wind I think it's only sensible to give the hills a miss.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 157
Munros:17   Corbetts:98
Grahams:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   
Joined: Jul 27, 2016

Re: Munro’s in gales

Postby jmarkb » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:12 pm

Did you get out?

We went for a wee ski tour up Carn a' Gheoidh. Quite windy on top (Cairnwell reporting 40 - 45 mph in the middle of the day) and very cold, with plenty of drifting snow, but otherwise quite a nice day. Only hung around long enough on the top to swap into downhill mode and skitter across a hundred yards of ice before getting into the good powder!
jmarkb
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 4218
Munros:241   Corbetts:95
Grahams:78   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:42   
Joined: Oct 28, 2011
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Munro’s in gales

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:58 pm

We were out yesterday bagging Subs... Or should I say staggering around summits :wink: The highest one was about 450m and even at that height walking against the wind was a struggle. Yet we enjoyed it, in a weird way... It felt so good to be out and actually doing something rather than sit at home and moan about weather.

It didn't help that Kevin deliberately picked pathless routes up little bumps:
2020-02-23 keith subs 046.JPG
There is a good path on the other side of the hill, you know...
User avatar
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 3459
Munros:260   Corbetts:165
Grahams:114   
Sub 2000:48   
Joined: Nov 2, 2010
Location: Beauly, Inverness-shire

Next



Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?



Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests