walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Article: Glasgow vs Edinburgh for hill walkers

Article: Glasgow vs Edinburgh for hill walkers

Postby rikmoncur » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:26 pm

Unfortunately I can't post links yet but you could google this:

Glasgow vs Edinburgh for hill walkers
Which city is better for Munro bagging?

Great article with cool animated maps and graphs.
rikmoncur
Mountain Walker

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Article: Glasgow vs Edinburgh for hill walkers

Postby jmarkb » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:04 pm

jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby crfishwick » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:06 pm

rikmoncur wrote:Unfortunately I can't post links yet but you could google this:

Give them both a wide berth. :lol: :lol:
crfishwick

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:36 pm

I've thought about it often. That is which is the best place to stay for doing the munros by car. Inverness is pretty good though the initial surrounding area is devoid of munros.
The furthest away for me in Inverness is Ben More on Mull which is about 3 hours 30 mins to 4.30 worst case scenario with ferry times.
Ben Lomond and Mayar and Dreish would probably be 2nd most awkward. Around 3 hours.

The closest Munro start point for me to drive to probably Bynack More around 40 mins though Ben Wyvis can be quick with no traffic. The easiest munro to drive to and get to summit Cairn gorm. Prob about 2hours 30 at very most.

The ideal town for munro baggers I would say is Fort william with Ben Hope being furthest around 3.30 I'm guessing
The ideal place probably Spean Bridge or Fort Augustus I reckon. Done all this off the top of my head so could be a bit out. :roll:

Interesting to know what other folks furthest and closest munros are, I'm guessing for most furthest will be Ben hope and Ben More. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby dav2930 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:37 pm

That's a really interesting article with some amazing animated graphics. Thanks for posting, and to jmarkb for providing the link. I like the point the author makes about how the selective use of data can help to distort and manipulate arguments - e.g. '"There are as many Munros within 180 miles of Edinburgh as there of Glasgow", while technically true, doesn't tell us anything useful at all'.

John Tullis is obviously brilliant at data processing and analysis, but I take issue with the art class that he went to! Red + green = brown, not yellow. Yellow is a primary colour that cannot be made by combining other colours! :?
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby davekeiller » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:45 pm

He doesn't mention public transport!
However, this is another win for Glasgow because the West Highland Line starts in Glasgow and heads west, so from Edinburgh you have to go to Glasgow to get onto it.
The East Highland line, on the other hand, heads via Stirling and Perth, which are similarly accessible from both Edinburgh and Glasgow.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:06 pm

I would say Glasgow if using public transport ,coach or train as you have access to Luss,ArrocharAlps,Tarbet,Ardlui,Inverarnan,Crianlarich,Tyndrum,Bridge of Orchy,Rannoch,Corrour,Tulloch,Spean Bridge and Fort William which gives a very high number of hills to do,not all day trips mind you.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby nigheandonn » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:50 pm

Red and green light make yellow light, and colours on a computer screen are made with dots of light.

I love watching the little dots wriggling about the map to find hills to climb - everyone should have a look at it just for that!

But my only actual complaints about Edinburgh are that Citylink won't run a bus to Glasgow to connect with their own 6:45 bus to Skye (there's one that gets there at 5:45, then one that gets there at 6:50!), and that Scotrail won't do day return tickets from Edinburgh to places on the West Highland line, despite it being perfectly practical to go and come back in a day.

(It's generally a good bit cheaper to get a day return to Glasgow and then a day return to wherever than to buy the period return, but that means you can't get the early sleeper north, because if you travel on two tickets you have to be able to get on and off the train at the place where they join up, and the sleeper doesn't set down in Glasgow.)

Anyone who wants to join me in a campaign against either injustice is welcome!
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:00 am

Both rubbish, Glasgow especially because it's full of Glaswegians :wink:. Inverness is where it's at. View of several munros from the kitchen window.

8)
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby dav2930 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:13 am

nigheandonn wrote:Red and green light make yellow light, and colours on a computer screen are made with dots of light.

Ha, yes. Just read about that - only red, green and blue pixels on computer (and TV) screens. Yellow is between red and green in spectrum so combining red and green light stimulates our red and green-sensitive retinal cones equally giving experience of yellow. I suspect the 'art class' reference must have been a jape!
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:56 pm

Depends where you live, I'm in the East of Edinburgh, my friend in the west of the city. The A720 adds 20 mins to my journey in good traffic compared to his. I would have thought in general Glasgow would edge it. :?

I reckon Stirling would be the best town to live in for Munro bagging, or just hill walking in general. Central position for heading in all directions.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby prog99 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:33 pm

iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:Both rubbish, Glasgow especially because it's full of Glaswegians :wink:. Inverness is where it's at. View of several munros from the kitchen window.

8)

I can see two munros, two grahams, a corbett and various donalds from my office window in Edinburgh. Even more if you venture to Arthurs Seat.

Main problem with Edinburgh and getting to the munros is crossing the bridge which can be a pain if timed wrong. At least we don't have the a82 along loch lomond to worry about though.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Sgurr » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:41 pm

It is also salutary to realise that our local hills in the Central Belt are the ones that the Inverness folk regard as really remote and leave until last.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:29 am

Sgurr wrote:It is also salutary to realise that our local hills in the Central Belt are the ones that the Inverness folk regard as really remote and leave until last.

Not if your folks live in Fife so you can use seeing family as a flimsy pretext for getting some hills in.

8)
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Arthurs Eat » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:20 am

rikmoncur wrote:Unfortunately I can't post links yet but you could google this:

Well that's actually two questions. I would say Edinburgh for hill walking. We have several hills within the city boundary, Arthur Seat being my favourite in the whole world for a whole lot of reasons. Very busy these days. We also have the Pentlands, Moorfoots, Garleton and a host of other hill ranges just beyond the city boundary. Our access to coastal walks is also superb. I'm sure if people think about it, there is a lot more to hill walking than Munro's. I say so as a bagger myself.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion