walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Os maps

Os maps

Postby Outnabout » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:10 am

Cancelled my os subscription app was buggy and kept crashing when using route tracker feature. The main draw was for printing off the leisure maps.

Does view ranger provide these when you sign up for the subscription if not is it possible to get them elsewhere?

Cheers
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Os maps

Postby Glengavel » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:25 am

I'm thinking of switching as well. The Android version of the OS Maps app is damn near unusable when you're offline, even with the maps downloaded on to the phone (by downloaded I mean redeemed paper maps, not maps created on the app). Can't zoom out, can't pan, can't rotate the screen. Where you've got two contiguous maps downloaded, it can't automatically move from one to the other. There's an update imminent apparently but I'm not holding out much hope.

The reviews on Google Play are pretty much all along the same line, but OS don't appear to be listening, actually telling some reviewers that they shouldn't be relying on electronic maps anyway. Well, yes, of course, but the OS have provided the option so at least make it usable!

It's like Scotrail setting up a train service and then telling us we shouldn't be relying on their trains to get us from A to B. Actually, scratch that, it's exactly how Scotrail works...
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby Sgurr » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:48 am

I've got Maverick. Downloaded all of the Lake District in Landranger and Explorer format to cover the whole of the Lakes in quite a short time, and now its purple arrow shows me where I am anywhere there. I originally got it free via some coupon a friend passed on (can't remember what or when,) and it doesn't seem to have charged me since (Shhhh)....unless it is charging him and he hasn't noticed. I am on an Android system.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby crfishwick » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:18 pm

Outnabout wrote:Cancelled my os subscription app was buggy and kept crashing when using route tracker feature. The main draw was for printing off the leisure maps.

Does view ranger provide these when you sign up for the subscription if not is it possible to get them elsewhere?

Cheers

There is at least one on the Internet using a PC that can be used to print OS mapping for free.
Although all apps I have on a phone do not allow printing off mapping. Unless there is a complementary PC version that can be used. IIRC
crfishwick

Postby OpenC » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:11 pm

I've used viewranger for years and now you can subscribe to OS mapping with it (albeit for a pound a month more than the OS app) I can't imagine using anything else.

In other news i submitted an amendment to the OS about a wrongly positioned sea stack on the north east coastline and after a couple of weeks got a really nice and considered email back to tell me what they'd discovered about my suggestion. We're so lucky to have them
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:132   

Postby crfishwick » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:53 pm

OpenC wrote:I've used viewranger for years and now you can subscribe to OS mapping with it (albeit for a pound a month more than the OS app) I can't imagine using anything else.

In other news i submitted an amendment to the OS about a wrongly positioned sea stack on the north east coastline and after a couple of weeks got a really nice and considered email back to tell me what they'd discovered about my suggestion. We're so lucky to have them

But the original question was can you print off the OS mapping? As such from the app. I don't use VR so don't know.
Can you? Ir just print routes.
crfishwick

Postby Outnabout » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:06 am

@crfishwick what program is that? Regarding printing them off its usually just a screen shot of my route its not to scale.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:35 am

Viewranger is brilliant, I've been using it on the phone for several years now. Sadly you can't print the maps though.

For digital mapping and printing on the computer, I use Mapyx Quo. I believe they were or have developed a mobile app. :?
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:195
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby mrssanta » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:22 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:
For digital mapping and printing on the computer, I use Mapyx Quo. I believe they were or have developed a mobile app. :?

I use Quo as well. It's free but you buy the maps. The mobile app is MXMapMobile. It's available for a small fee and you can put any maps you own on and off it via the main program. I really like it.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby geocaching » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:51 pm

mrssanta wrote:
WalkWithWallace wrote:

I use Quo as well. It's free but you buy the maps. The mobile app is MXMapMobile. It's available for a small fee and you can put any maps you own on and off it via the main program. I really like it.

I also have used quo since its inception. Tried their mobile app but it is years behind the rest unless it has improved! Anquet a similar good for a PC but terrible as an app!

Nobody seems to rate MMap! Don't know why as they are the market leaders and others follow including Viewranger. :wink:
geocaching
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion