walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Coylumbridge to Linn of Dee through Lairig Ghru in winter

Coylumbridge to Linn of Dee through Lairig Ghru in winter

Postby cotagne » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:43 pm

Has anyone walked from Coylumbridge to the Linn of Dee car park through the Lairig Ghru in the winter in a single day? Am considering doing it this weekend but not sure whether doable in the snow.
cotagne
Mountaineer

Re: Coylumbridge to Linn of Dee through Lairig Ghru in winte

Postby jmarkb » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:57 pm

There is a lot of snow at the moment and the SAIS report for today says "Breakable crust at all levels, tiring conditions."
Likely to be a very tough day out.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby cotagne » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:58 pm

Thanks - I will keep an eye on the weather and SAIS site. Hopefully will be possible.
cotagne
Mountaineer

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:28 am

cotagne wrote:Has anyone walked from Coylumbridge to the Linn of Dee car park through the Lairig Ghru in the winter in a single day? Am considering doing it this weekend but not sure whether doable in the snow.

In current conditions that could be a fatal choice. Try cross-country skiing it, carrying kit to overnight at Corrour or Bob Scott's Bothies. Or stick to the high tops from Cairngorm round the top of Loch A'an to Ben MacDui ,Derry Cairngorm and along the ridge to Carn Crom. I have travelled through from Aviemore to Braemar, and vice versa. It is always longer and more arduous than I remembered from previous trips. Once going from Linn O'Dee to Bob Scott's (near Derry Lodge) just a couple of miles took me hours, with powder snow up to my chest in places. I met a bunch who had been snowed in at Corrour and had quite an epic trek back out to Bob Scott's, struggling up to their necks in snow for long periods. This is exhausting and not something you want to try somewhere so remote and prone to avalanche as the Lairig Ghru. The steep sides, beetling cliffs and overhanging cornices make the pass avery dangerous place to be. Even in summer the rattle and knock of falling rocks is common; scuttle like a mouse between large rocks for shelter from falling debris even on a good day, but in present conditions I'd give it a miss.
Lairigh Ghru #1r.jpg
Lairig Ghru sunrise

Lairig Ghru winter#3iiiiR.jpg
Lairig Ghru winter (from old pics stiched together)

012dR.jpg
Loch Etchachan. Note hole in ice due to avalanche from cliffs.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby cotagne » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:02 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
cotagne wrote:Has anyone walked from Coylumbridge to the Linn of Dee car park through the Lairig Ghru in the winter in a single day? Am considering doing it this weekend but not sure whether doable in the snow.

In current conditions that could be a fatal choice. Try cross-country skiing it, carrying kit to overnight at Corrour or Bob Scott's Bothies. Or stick to the high tops from Cairngorm round the top of Loch A'an to Ben MacDui ,Derry Cairngorm and along the ridge to Carn Crom. I have travelled through from Aviemore to Braemar, and vice versa. It is always longer and more arduous than I remembered from previous trips. Once going from Linn O'Dee to Bob Scott's (near Derry Lodge) just a couple of miles took me hours, with powder snow up to my chest in places. I met a bunch who had been snowed in at Corrour and had quite an epic trek back out to Bob Scott's, struggling up to their necks in snow for long periods. This is exhausting and not something you want to try somewhere so remote and prone to avalanche as the Lairig Ghru. The steep sides, beetling cliffs and overhanging cornices make the pass avery dangerous place to be. Even in summer the rattle and knock of falling rocks is common; scuttle like a mouse between large rocks for shelter from falling debris even on a good day, but in present conditions I'd give it a miss.
Lairigh Ghru #1r.jpg

Lairig Ghru winter#3iiiiR.jpg

012dR.jpg

Thanks for the detailed reply. The SAIS reports say that the snow line is between 600-700m and the forecast is for the area to warm up as the weekend approaches so hopefully only the middle four miles or so of the pass will have significant levels of snow underfoot - I am considering getting some snow shoes though and I suppose we could always turn back to Coylumbridge if it starts to become impassable/ is taking so long that getting to Linn of Dee before dark won’t be possible. In terms of going high instead of through the valley - we had looked at going up to Ben Macdui from the ski centre car park then down to Loch Etchchan and along Derry Burn, which I’ve done in the summer, but was concerned the descent may be difficult in the snowy conditions, and we would be exposed on the plateau for a significant chunk of the walk. I will keep an eye on the avalanche forecast - currently moderate so hopefully will stay that way or improve.
cotagne
Mountaineer

Postby rgf101 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:25 pm

> only the middle four miles or so of the pass will have significant levels of snow underfoot
That’s literally why I’m not doing it right now.
rgf101

Postby jmarkb » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:11 pm

cotagne wrote:The SAIS reports say that the snow line is between 600-700m

Not sure where you got that from - the lowest altitude on the SAIS report rosettes is not necessarily the snow line. I think it's more like 400-450m at the moment.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby cotagne » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:10 pm

Thank you - good to know! This chain has been really helpful.

I wonder if going up Glen Feshie and linking up with Geldie Burn and then into Linn of Dee would be a better option. If we get a lift into Auchlean it looks to be about the same distance - c 20 miles. According to the OS maps app that would top out at c 575m but mostly below that.
cotagne
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:58 pm

cotagne wrote:I wonder if going up Glen Feshie and linking up with Geldie Burn and then into Linn of Dee would be a better option. If we get a lift into Auchlean it looks to be about the same distance - c 20 miles. According to the OS maps app that would top out at c 575m but mostly below that.

A little easier perhaps, but I think you might still have quite a long trudge through soft wet snow.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby cotagne » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:52 pm

Thanks
cotagne
Mountaineer

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:39 am

cotagne wrote:Thank you - good to know! This chain has been really helpful.

I wonder if going up Glen Feshie and linking up with Geldie Burn and then into Linn of Dee would be a better option. If we get a lift into Auchlean it looks to be about the same distance - c 20 miles. According to the OS maps app that would top out at c 575m but mostly below that.

That way is still a terrible long slog in exposed terrain; these current conditions are not suitable. You are thinking of slogging twenty miles through thick wet snow? Have you ever gone any distance through such conditions? Who is in your group? How many are "we" and how much experience of winter mountaineering?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby rgf101 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:30 am

> that would top out at c 575m but mostly below that.
This, and your earlier 'only four miles' comment, make me nervous. It's those bits which are potentially dangerous, or miserable.

I had a quick look to see if there were any walk reports from the last few days in that part of the world. Couldn't find any, but try this one. This walk tops out at about 550m but is 'mostly below that'. It's the other side of the country, so I'm not claiming conditions will be the same, but nor would I risk finding out they are 10 miles into a very long walk.
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=95752
rgf101

Postby cotagne » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:22 pm

Thanks - there will be two of us and we are fit, experienced hikers that have done plenty of 20 mile day hikes in the past (but not through deep snow), and we will have poles and crampons and decent waterproof/ warm kit. But we looking for a long day hike ending at a town not a slow crawl/ trudge through the snow. We are keen to try to get through to Braemar, but if necessary will have to do a circular route from Aviemore instead.
cotagne
Mountaineer

Postby Eskimo » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:22 pm

cotagne wrote:Thanks - there will be two of us and we are fit, experienced hikers that have done plenty of 20 mile day hikes in the past (but not through deep snow), and we will have poles and crampons and decent waterproof/ warm kit. But we looking for a long day hike ending at a town not a slow crawl/ trudge through the snow. We are keen to try to get through to Braemar, but if necessary will have to do a circular route from Aviemore instead.

Seriously bud, those routes are mega in current conditions. I'm usually pretty relaxed with 'giving things a go' but those options even by my standards are a step too far. "....but not through deep snow" - I have done big ish days in deep snow and genuinely, don't underestimate the effort. It is BRUTAL!

There's plenty other options at this time of year that feel like a mega adventure but are much more achievable. I'd say re-plan and have a right good time rather than a slog which will likely result in failure. BUT....it's your call!
Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Postby boriselbrus » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:15 pm

I agree.

A few years ago I did Geal Charn (Drumochter) in new snow abou 1m deep. It's 4km from the road with 500m of climbing. Even with snow shoes the round trip took me 8 hrs and I was in pretty good condition. It's still one of the hardest days out I've ever had
boriselbrus
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:47
Wainwrights:59   Islands:24

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion