walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Yank looking for advice

Yank looking for advice

Postby otisorgans » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:15 pm

I posted this in the Hello section but after reading the forum I believe General Discussion area may be more appropriate. Any and all help is appreciated!

Hello All! I am a 50 + year old American who loves to do long distance treking. I have completed the Camino Frances and the Camino Portuguese. I have heard so many wonderful things about Scotland that this is next on my bucket list. I am sure there is information in other forums but I am looking for advice on where to hike. I know there are a lot of companies that book trips but I prefer to make my own arrangements. I have about 12 days of hiking and my schedule is flexible between late April through the end of May. I don't want to camp and would prefer hostels or B@B's. I looked at the West Highland Way but accommodations are hard to come by. I hike with either my wife or my best friend when I do these trips. This year it will be with my friend as my wife will be home with my high school daughter. I prefer to do about 13-15 miles per day (20 K) and I am a walker not a hiker so I prefer not to climb up huge mountains! As of right now I am looking at a combination of Ayrshire Coastal Walk then to the Rob Roy Way. If there are better suggestions please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
otisorgans
Mountaineer

Re: Yank looking for advice

Postby fhaggis » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:55 pm

Hi

Not done the Ayrshire coastal walk but to be honest the scenery probably won’t be that great, the rob Roy way is ok but has a lot of boring stretches but it’s relatively flat.

I did the east highland way and that’s pretty flat, first couple of days are pretty boring but e last couple are great and you get to visit the highland folk museum etc. It’s finishes in Avimore so takes you into the Cairngorms where there are some stunning walks, you can also continue on the Spayside way which is flat. Never looked at hotels etc but you might struggle for them every night on the EHW.

Good luck
fhaggis
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:12 pm

You could do the West Highland Way which your already mentioned or Skye Trail which are both about 6 days long or more if you want,but you would need to get your skates on with booking places,both are good routes,though Skye is more pleasing to the eye.
A lot more folk are cancelling holidays abroad due to Coronavirus and rebooking at home which could lead to harder to find accommodation.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby DopeyLoser » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:21 pm

Are you sure accommodation is hard to come by along the WHW? When I look on airbnb for instance with a date in mid May I see quite a few options. Also take a look at the list on https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/west-highland-way.shtml.

I would say that if you do one route in Scotland you might as well make it the WHW. It has a variety of scenery, some of it grand, generally has many accommodation options along it, and there are numerous spots at which you can spend a couple of nights with an interesting scenic not-too-strenuous day hike of your choice off the route. So you could expand it easily to 10-12 days.

Also good for access from airports. If you arrive at GLA you can get to the start within a couple of hours (or spend a day in Glasgow first), and the return from Fort William is easy and scenic by bus or train. (Again if going by train you could stop off on the way back and do some very good day hikes e.g. from Corrour or Rannoch, or indeed from Corrour _to_ Rannoch. I also recommend the YH at Corrour / Loch Ossian).

I have no experience of other routes e.g. Ayrshire or Rob Roy. I am sure they would be very enjoyable too, but if it's for a bucket list, WHW would be my choice !
DopeyLoser

Postby otisorgans » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:22 pm

Thanks All! I think the WHW seems to be the best fit. Also considering the Great Glen Way. This site has been tremendously helpful. One question is if I have to find accommodations off the trail for a night is taxi or uber service available? I am finding on the WHW in a couple towns the lodging is booked.(Inverarnan for example).
otisorgans
Mountaineer

Postby Sgurr » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:03 pm

Just to throw a spanner in the works, how about a combination of the Fife Coastal Path (lovely fishing villages), and a shorter walk in the hills i.e. go up to Fort William and come down south for the days that are left? The first day doing ithe WHW from the south is not nearly as scenic as doing it from the north, and the argument that you need to be fit for the last day (going from the south) doesn't hold if you are doing it as a first day AFTER the coastal path which should have increased your fitness levels. You will land up on the coastal Path at Newburgh, an easy bus drive to Perth and then 2.30 hours to Forth William.

If you want, you could start the coastal path a day or so in and miss the industrialised bit, and certainly combine some of the shorter stretches. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fife-stirling/fife-coastal-path.shtml
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby rgf101 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:24 pm

It’s worth having a look at train and bus timetables to get an idea of how you can get back and forth between accommodation options. It’d be quite straightforward, for example, to stay in Crianlarich, walk to Bridge of Orchy, then train back to Crianlarich for another night, if you couldn’t book the hotel in Bridge of Orchy.

The accommodation itself will advise on taxi options. Some might pick you up themselves.

Accommodation can be sparse at some points and it does get full. Plan ahead and be flexible though, and you’ll work something out.
rgf101

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:26 pm

fhaggis wrote:Not done the Ayrshire coastal walk but to be honest the scenery probably won’t be that great

If you have not done it, how can you speak for the scenery? The views out over the Firth of Clyde to the Isles of Arran, Bute, Cumbrae and also the Mull of Kintyre are quite impressive, even in wild weather.
I'd say the later in May the better; April can still be very cold and wintery. Late May is almost midsummer with a lot of trees and wild flowers in bloom. I guess if you are looking for a highland experience, then the West Highland Way is the one, but try to get to Skye while you are here. There is a train from Fort William where the WHW ends, on a short but very nice trip to Mallaig where the ferry to Skye embarks.
IMG_2729#p#r.jpg
Part of Ayrshire Coastal Path at Bracken Bay.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Manwaeadug » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:02 pm

I've not done the actual walk, but I do live in Ayrshire and some of the scenery can be pretty impressive. As mentioned, the views over to Arran, Bute etc are lovely.....stunning if the weather is just right.
Accommodation shouldn't be a problem either, plenty of B&Bs dotted around ayrshire. Ayr, Girvan, Saltcoats & Largs would possibly provide more B&B options.

I'd probably do a section at the Southern end, then a section that takes in Culzean; there are some nice walks in the grounds of the castle which is also worth a few hours of your time (links with Eisenhower and the US that may...or may not be of interest) and then one to the Northern end from around Saltcoats up past Largs and Skelmorlie. I reckon that would give you 2 or 3 days walking and would provide enough variety in the coastal views to avoid being boring.

Decent rail links at Stranraer, Girvan, Maybole, Ayr, Kilwinning, Stevenston, Saltcoats, Ardrossan and Largs (the line ends here) would be the stations you would possibly be looking at utilising if that's of any help to you in your planning.

Midges aren't too bad around the coast either (more chance of a breeze to keep them at bay). :thumbup:
Manwaeadug
Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   
Walk wish-list

Postby otisorgans » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:35 pm

This is some great input very much appreciated! I hope you all don’t mind if I keep asking for input as we firm up our plans! One thing I would also like to do is go to a Scottish sporting event. I’m open to anything just looking to get a feel for the local customs and experiences! Sorry to sound ignorant here but are there any good events taking place in May? I’m pretty sure football is done but we are open for anything.
otisorgans
Mountaineer

Postby Arthurs Eat » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:13 pm

I did the Arran Coastal path over six days last year. I based myself at one place and
Used buses to ferry me back and forward each day. Seems to work out fine.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby fhaggis » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:14 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
fhaggis wrote:Not done the Ayrshire coastal walk but to be honest the scenery probably won’t be that great

If you have not done it, how can you speak for the scenery? The views out over the Firth of Clyde to the Isles of Arran, Bute, Cumbrae and also the Mull of Kintyre are quite impressive, even in wild weather.
I'd say the later in May the better; April can still be very cold and wintery. Late May is almost midsummer with a lot of trees and wild flowers in bloom. I guess if you are looking for a highland experience, then the West Highland Way is the one, but try to get to Skye while you are here. There is a train from Fort William where the WHW ends, on a short but very nice trip to Mallaig where the ferry to Skye embarks.
IMG_2729#p#r.jpg

I’ve not done the walk bout I’ve been about that coast lots, and personally coastal routes can become repetitive and the Ayrshire coast ain’t exactly rugged.
fhaggis
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:00 pm

If you are thinking about the WHW I've attached a report covering the walk plus the Great Glen Way. The WHW finishes in Fort William and the Great Glen Way starts there so it's very easy to combine the two.

A lot of people start the WHW on the weekend so if you are able to go for a midweek start you might find booking accommodation a bit easier.

I've attached my walk report for my walk, if you read it please don't be put off by my comments while on the WHW - it was the worst weather I have encountered on any long distance walk I have done (so far).

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=31859

Whatever you choose, have a great time.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Manwaeadug » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:25 pm

otisorgans wrote:This is some great input very much appreciated! I hope you all don’t mind if I keep asking for input as we firm up our plans! One thing I would also like to do is go to a Scottish sporting event. I’m open to anything just looking to get a feel for the local customs and experiences! Sorry to sound ignorant here but are there any good events taking place in May? I’m pretty sure football is done but we are open for anything.

7th May - Premier league darts at SSE Hydro in Glasgow.
9th May - Scottish cup final (football) - Hampden Park in Glasgow.
16th - 17th May is the final week of the football calendar (get yourself to Ibrox Stadium and watch the Glasgow Rangers (the worlds most successful club :wink: ) and as I'm the first to give you a couple of sporting ideas it would be considered polite to adopt them as 'your team in Scotland' now. :D lol
Manwaeadug
Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Manwaeadug » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:38 pm

https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/events/sporting-events/

Might be worth a wee look to see if there's anything that takes your fancy. Probably not an exhaustive list, but worth a look i reckon.
Manwaeadug
Walker

Walk wish-list

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion