walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Best one of Yorkshire peaks to do.

Best one of Yorkshire peaks to do.

Postby Kmo86 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:14 pm

Next week I will be discussing walking one of the Yorkshire peaks with a man who runs a charity I go to. This has been a long debate between us. I would like to do all 3 Yorkshire peaks but to cut story short we are doing one in next few month. What happens after that remains to be seen. So he’s agreed he will organise for a few of us to do one. So I’m thinking which one would be the best. I’m wanting the longest and hardest which from what I’ve read longest is the easiest and shortest is hardest so would Ingleborough be best as it will be bit longer and bit harder than whernside. I’ve read on penyghent and Ingleborough you have to scramble a bit to get up so I’m thinking one of them. Never done scrambling so will find it hard but I think any of them will be tough.

In 2018 we walked Mam tor in hope valley it was 9 mile and I admit I struggled mainly due to not eating before so that put the man off doing more walks like it, but I’ve proved I’m still keen and practicing hills so he’s agreed to do one peak this year. He’s thinking it’s going to be one peak then it’s over but I’m hoping to do more which is why that discussion is best after we have done one.

Any tips on how to prepare and manage best I can apart from the obvious practice hills and eat before setting off.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Re: Best one of Yorkshire peaks to do.

Postby geocaching » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:10 pm

Wrong thread.! Sorry.
geocaching
Stravaiging

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:31 pm

Ingleborough is my favourite, and looks can be made to involve different ascents and descents. The scrambling is negligible and not a problem.

Have fun, glad you're getting close to getting up one!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Kmo86 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:57 pm

Well will be interesting to see how many go for this walk. The man has said today there won’t be as many as who went to hope valley in 2018 which was 3 staff and 6 service users. I know one of the staff who went will be glad to avoid this walk. I’d like the mans friend to come with us as we know him cos he runs an allotment we go to in summer so that would be less pressure on the man organising it.

I’m going to do this walk as a sponsor to raise money for the charity as a surprise for the man as a thank you for putting up with me keep mentioning it and also it could help persuade him to do more.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Kmo86 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:30 pm

Well update. Not done any peaks yet as I’m sure everyone knows everything has been delayed and changed cos of coronavirus. So back in March we were about to discus when we would be doing a peak well coronavirus put a stop to that the centre had to close down and it is only starting to reopen next week for limited things so I’m not sure when I’ll be able to go back as I only go for social part which isn’t starting again yet.

Well as far as I’m aware we will still be doing a peak more likely next year now which I can’t complain about as I know the man wouldn’t be comfortable just having to stay away from me and hope for best as he will be responsible for making sure I’m ok.

Well if I’m honest I’ve done nothing for last few month towards doing a peak. Lockdown meant it’s not been possible some of time and no one to talk to about it so not bothered. Tho I do go walking with my dog every day on mainly flat areas. I do like 6 of 7 mile walking a day which I find easy. I fully intend to mention still doing a peak as soon as I go back to the centre and mention in fun that we should do 2 peaks to make up for not doing 1 this year. I expect him to insist still only doing 1 but I know he is more likely to agree with 2 if I show him I have been practicing.

Which til now I haven’t but I’ve now started going to Danes dyke and trying to do faster walks to practice. Been to Danes dyke today just for walk round and recorded it and was a bit slower than I used to be before so got some practicing to do to get back to where I was before. My determination to do all 3 Yorkshire peaks is still there but I think if he said we could do one peak this year that would be it I wouldn’t manage to convince him I could do more like I’m hoping to. Well got time to change that before we do one peak and I will. Also planning to as a surprise for the man to get people to sponsor me for doing a peak to raise money for the charity as a thank you and if anything other than how I manage 1 peak will convince him to do more that will.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Hill Plodder » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:06 pm

Whernside isn’t difficult although out and back from Ribblehead viaduct is about nine miles but the ascent is relatively gradual, the paths are clear and there’s no scrambling involved.
Hill Plodder
Bird-watcher

Munros:9   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Kmo86 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:18 pm

That’s the thing longest one but easiest. I’m not sure if this is going to be a one off or chance of doing more. At the minute it’s a one off but the man planning it knows I want to do more and does keep changing his mind about these walks with me. With him running the brain injury charity I go to he is responsible for anyone who goes and with me struggling on Mam tor in hope valley 2 years back he said no more walks like that. Then at start of this year after a year of me making it clear I was wanting to do more and had been training for more he decided we’d do 1 peak this year but because of lockdown we haven’t but from what I’ve heard from another member of staff he has said we will still do the peak but it will be next year now. I will likely see him for first time since lockdown on Tuesday so plan on mentioning it.

I’ve said I would like to try one where you have to scramble just out of curiosity I’ve never tried it probably will need help so that means next year will be best as with social distancing this year they wouldn’t be able to help me up.

As for which peak if i knew it depended how I got on to weather we would do more whernside would probably be best but I’d like to try one of others where you need to scramble just to make most of it. If we do more after great if not at least I’ve done something different to just walking. Honestly after hope valley I think how ever it goes it will be better as I learnt from my mistake there. I wasn’t hungry that day so didn’t eat which caused me to go dizzy so that is the main thing the man remembers that day so I will be eating before doing the peak not go dizzy and complete it.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Kmo86 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:44 pm

Well had a quick chat about the peak today. Honestly being realistic to what could be said or agreed it couldn’t have gone any better. The conversation was never going to be we will do all 3 peaks next year tho I would love to do that. Basically we will do the walk next year he didn’t even say just 1 peak it was more carry on with training and see how I get on and he agreed when I said I know he would do more proving he knew I would be ok. So basically it depends on me how much we do which is exactly what I want. I’ve got rest of this summer to train and start of next spring, summer. Bring it on.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion