walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

the C word

Re: the C word

Postby Border Reiver » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:06 pm

rohan wrote:
Listen to the locals, they DO NOT WANT PEOPLE bringing the virus. This would be worse for them than economic consequences.
http://isleofeigg.org/coronavirus-covid-19/

It was after talking to locals in the Yorkshire, Durham and Northumberland Dales (not Eigg) that I wrote my post. They are doing everything they can do by sanitising everywhere, keeping customers apart in cafes and asking for contactless payments. We in return, keep our distance from them, keep washing and sanitising and don't pay for anything with cash. They made a point of telling us how grateful they were for our custom and asked us to tell others.
I wasn't sure originally about visiting the dales for walking, but I believe that as long as both locals and visitors keep to stringent hygiene rules, visitors will be welcomed.
Of course, this only applies to sensible folk who are prepared to accept whatever the locals want.
Also, Forestry England and National Parks are also making it known that visitors are welcome too.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby rohan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:27 pm

It was after talking to locals in the Yorkshire, Durham and Northumberland Dales

With respect these places are not the NW Highlands and Islands. I apologise for not making tit clear that I was talking about areas of Scotland that have no ICU beds their side of Inverness, small numbers of health care beds, small numbers of medical and care staff (if any on their particular island) where travel is reliant on ferries (if they can run), with no fast road and motorway connections. Many people use this site when planning their walking holidays in Scotland. The original post was about someone talking about jumping into their car and heading to the most remote part of the Hebrides he knows. He is not the only one . He reasoned that he would have minimal contact with anyone local but it took just one family returning from Italy to bring the virus to Shetland.
rohan

Postby Border Reiver » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:46 pm

rohan wrote:
It was after talking to locals in the Yorkshire, Durham and Northumberland Dales

With respect these places are not the NW Highlands and Islands. I apologise for not making tit clear that I was talking about areas of Scotland that have no ICU beds their side of Inverness, small numbers of health care beds, small numbers of medical and care staff (if any on their particular island) where travel is reliant on ferries (if they can run), with no fast road and motorway connections. Many people use this site when planning their walking holidays in Scotland. The original post was about someone talking about jumping into their car and heading to the most remote part of the Hebrides he knows. He is not the only one . He reasoned that he would have minimal contact with anyone local but it took just one family returning from Italy to bring the virus to Shetland.

You're absolutely right, these beautiful places, where I've holidayed in the past, need protecting from such recklessness. Folk that go where they aren't wanted or needed in a situation such as this, should be arrested.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Postby Giant Stoneater » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:38 pm

Ms Sturgeon on people should stay at home "Believe me when I say this is vital. It is vital for your own protection, it is vital for the protection of your loved ones, particularly the older and more vulnerable people.
"It is vital for the protection of our NHS and its ability to care for those who will need it in the weeks to come. It is vital for the protection of all of us and it is vital to help us save lives."

Cant get any clearer than that.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Border Reiver » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:53 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:Ms Sturgeon on people should stay at home "Believe me when I say this is vital. It is vital for your own protection, it is vital for the protection of your loved ones, particularly the older and more vulnerable people.
"It is vital for the protection of our NHS and its ability to care for those who will need it in the weeks to come. It is vital for the protection of all of us and it is vital to help us save lives."

Cant get any clearer than that.

Fortunately, Nicky, would-be Queen of Scots, has no say in anything this side of the border. I'm sure she's doing a fine job though.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Postby Moriarty » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:28 pm

Border Reiver wrote:Fortunately, Nicky, would-be Queen of Scots, has no say in anything this side of the border. I'm sure she's doing a fine job though.

I genuinely, honestly think that this isn't a time for small minded bickering and political back-biting.

Can't say I'm an enthusiastic fan of any politician, but when you're in the boat between Scylla and Charybdis it isn't the time to be throwing stones at the helmsman...it's time to pull hard on your oar. :wink:
Moriarty

Postby Border Reiver » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:57 pm

Moriarty wrote:
Border Reiver wrote:Fortunately, Nicky, would-be Queen of Scots, has no say in anything this side of the border. I'm sure she's doing a fine job though.

I genuinely, honestly think that this isn't a time for small minded bickering and political back-biting.

Can't say I'm an enthusiastic fan of any politician, but when you're in the boat between Scylla and Charybdis it isn't the time to be throwing stones at the helmsman...it's time to pull hard on your oar. :wink:
The point I'm making (after having a dig at politics) is that "pulling on the oar" means different things, depending on who runs your country. Ms Sturgeon wants all to stay at home, but this side of the border, Forestry England, National Parks and local country folk are saying "we're open to sensible visitors, come and enjoy the countryside". I've trawled through many websites for the places where we want to walk and the message is the same. If the message was "stay away' then we would. I was born and raised in the country and still have family there, so I know the impact of all of this
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Postby Moriarty » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:05 pm

Border Reiver wrote:The point I'm making (after having a dig at politics) is that "pulling on the oar" means different things, depending on who runs your country. Ms Sturgeon wants all to stay at home, but this side of the border, Forestry England, National Parks and local country folk are saying "we're open to sensible visitors, come and enjoy the countryside". I've trawled through many websites for the places where we want to walk and the message is the same. If the message was "stay away' then we would. I was born and raised in the country and still have family there, so I know the impact of all of this

Actually, in the fuller context of what was discussed, I think the instruction was still to avoid unnecessary travel, comply with social distancing, protect the vulnerable.

For about 99% of the population of this island "going out" involves going somewhere with groups of other people. People on sites like this are oddball outliers.
Moriarty

Postby Wandererssolo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:08 pm

I think Sturgeon has done a good job and should be listened to. Unlike the PM, her communication has been clear and simple. I understand folk, particularly on the right and outside Scotland, don’t get her but there are serious issues at stake and it’s time imo to take these matters seriously. It’s also worth pointing out that Scotland’s economy, public services and Scottish income tax require that she says and dies more here. Tourism is a significant contributor to the Scottish economy and the fact that Scottish income tax is partially devolved means that she sometimes NEEDS to do something different from Westminster. That doesn’t seem to register with critics whether inside or outside Scotland. Also worth pointing out that this would be the case whichever party was running the Scottish Parliament (or Welsh or NI parliaments). It’s not a competition it’s how devolution works.

I walked from Glencoe ski centre to Inverornan today on the WHW. I would usually expect to meet a steady stream of people every 4-800 metres late morning as people get up a head of steam after leaving their accommodation at Bridge of Orchy. I met 7 people and a dog on one of the most majestic of days this year. 12c and sunny surrounded by snow capped hills on a dry track. It’s clear that travel restrictions are having an impact on the number of Europeans and North American’s I would usually meet on this walk. Interestingly, the extended car park at the Glencoe Ski Centre was absolutely jam packed with barely a space to turn my car to get dropped off.

It was noticeable that, while folk I passed were happy to chat, a decent distance was maintained at all times
Wandererssolo
Hill Bagger

Munros:9   
Fionas:1   

Postby geocaching » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:50 pm

Wandererssolo wrote:I think Sturgeon has done a good job and should be listened to. Unlike the PM, her communication has been clear and simple. I understand folk, particularly on the right and outside Scotland, don’t get her but there are serious issues at stake and it’s time imo to take these matters seriously. It’s also worth pointing out that Scotland’s economy, public services and Scottish income tax require that she says and dies more here. Tourism is a significant contributor to the Scottish economy and the fact that Scottish income tax is partially devolved means that she sometimes NEEDS to do something different from Westminster. That doesn’t seem to register with critics whether inside or outside Scotland. Also worth pointing out that this would be the case whichever party was running the Scottish Parliament (or Welsh or NI parliaments). It’s not a competition it’s how devolution works.

I walked from Glencoe ski centre to Inverornan today on the WHW. I would usually expect to meet a steady stream of people every 4-800 metres late morning as people get up a head of steam after leaving their accommodation at Bridge of Orchy. I met 7 people and a dog on one of the most majestic of days this year. 12c and sunny surrounded by snow capped hills on a dry track. It’s clear that travel restrictions are having an impact on the number of Europeans and North American’s I would usually meet on this walk. Interestingly, the extended car park at the Glencoe Ski Centre was absolutely jam packed with barely a space to turn my car to get dropped off.

It was noticeable that, while folk I passed were happy to chat, a decent distance was maintained at all times

Sturgeon! :lol:
geocaching
Stravaiging

Postby Wandererssolo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:59 pm

Not sure I get the joke? Who would you replace her with? There isn’t a U.K. based politician gets any rating north of the birder. Boris is, rightly in my opinion, not worthy of much respect. And devolution means that pretty much everything he says doesn’t apply here. SNP polling at 50% and above and have been elected to power over other parties since 2007. I get folk don’t like her but that’s not the case for a significant number of Scottish voters. As one of them, I don’t see her as perfect by any means but there isn’t any other party leader here or in the rUK that can hold a candle to her. That opinion is based on years of polling even when the UKs darling Ruth Davidson was being promoted by the right wing press as saviour of the union
Wandererssolo
Hill Bagger

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:17 pm

geocaching wrote:Sturgeon! :lol:

I don't mind her but opinions vary.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Glengavel » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:44 pm

Sturgeon! :lol:[/quote]

Yes, and?
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby geocaching » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:50 pm

Wandererssolo wrote:Not sure I get the joke? Who would you replace her with? There isn’t a U.K. based politician gets any rating north of the birder. Boris is, rightly in my opinion, not worthy of much respect. And devolution means that pretty much everything he says doesn’t apply here. SNP polling at 50% and above and have been elected to power over other parties since 2007. I get folk don’t like her but that’s not the case for a significant number of Scottish voters. As one of them, I don’t see her as perfect by any means but there isn’t any other party leader here or in the rUK that can hold a candle to her. That opinion is based on years of polling even when the UKs darling Ruth Davidson was being promoted by the right wing press as saviour of the union

She is just a wannabe. End of!
A dipstick who is not interested in the walking community.
Bye
geocaching
Stravaiging

Postby Wandererssolo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:59 pm

I love ‘end of’. It says much about the quality of thought by the user don’t you think? It usually highlights a disregard for factual input in my opinion. But thanks ‘end of’.

I’m glad she runs the Scottish government. She’s far from perfect and there are, indeed, areas that could be addressed better. The Loch Lomond national park bourach is but one close to me and I have other gripes. I’m still able to recognise the job she does in very difficult circumstances.
Wandererssolo
Hill Bagger

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion