walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

So where is the border of Cowal exactly?

So where is the border of Cowal exactly?

Postby iangpark » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:06 pm

Would like to know where most people would define the NE border of the Cowal peninsula, as I don't believe there is an exact definition. To me it can only really be the B839 Hell's Glen Road or the Rest and be Thankful A83 in Glen Croe. Some would even describe the whole of the Arrochar Alps as being within Cowal. What are folks' thoughts?
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Re: So where is the border of Cowal exactly?

Postby Craiging619 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:33 am

I’ve often wondered about this. If I had to guess then strictly speaking I’d draw a line from the top of Loch Long to the top of Loch Fyne. However this would mean that Cowal claims The Cobbler, the summit of Beinn Narnain and a fair chunk of Beinn Ime. :? Never really thought of Cowal as a Munro-bagging capital...

I think I read someone years ago stating that Cowal ends at Lochgoilhead? Which would rule out the whole peninsula with The Brack, Ben Donich and Cnoc Coinnich. It’s certainly a tricker one than Kintyre, that’s for sure.
Attachments
C2D1B7CA-CF8A-4FD1-A00F-E332097EF569.png
Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Munros:70   Corbetts:34
Fionas:40   Donalds:42+14
Sub 2000:22   
Islands:21
Walk wish-list

Postby iangpark » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:04 am

Glad to hear it's not just me :lol: That line seems the most sensible if we're talking as the crow flies. I think the wiki mentions Lochgoilhead as on the border, but the Cowal Way ends at Inveruglas which I'd say is well within out with the peninsula!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Postby Craiging619 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:10 am

Think that’s just an excuse to get the route to the Bonnie Bonnie Banks, and link it in via the Inversnaid ferry to the WHW / Great Trossachs / Rob Roy / 1,000,001 trails on the other side. :)

It’s actually been renamed now as the “Loch Lomond and Cowal Way”: perhaps a subtle admission that the route leaves Cowal towards the end.
Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

Postby nigheandonn » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:31 am

If there is a settled 'border' at all, it could well be in the hills between the two roads, rather than along a valley.

You may trying to divide the Cowal hills from the not-Cowal hills, but whoever first thought about it would be more likely to be trying to divide their own grazing/farming/living lands from the lands of the different people on the other side of that useless mountain.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby malky_c » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:49 am

I have often wondered too. According to the old SMC Corbetts guide (which has a few lower hills in too), Beinn Mhor is the highest hill in Cowal. If that’s true, then the Brack etc (and even Beinn Bheula) can’t be included. It sort of infers a border running from Ardentinny to Strachur along glens.

On the other hand, the Cowal Way goes right through to Inveruglas, so who knows?
EDIT: sorry, I’m just repeating Ian here!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Craiging619 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:05 pm

The OS 250k map actually has the “L” in Cowal just past Beinn Bheula, which would infer it at least runs to Lochgoilhead. Interesting that OS and SMC disagree on this: wonder who gets the casting vote? WalkHighlands? 8)
Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:46 pm

I was told the The Cowal Way originally ended at Lochgoilhead as that was the last real part of Cowal proper, it got extended to Arrochar then Inveruglas.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:12 pm

I think it is one of these areas which because it is not a political border the actual border is not clearly defined and to some extent a matter of opinion. I always thought it was some sort of line from the head of Loch Fyne to Lochgoilhead (not loch long).

The north end of the Cowal way is not in the Cowal peninsula same as the southern end of the the west highland way is not in the west highlands. :?
Sunset tripper

Postby iangpark » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:55 pm

Great answers everyone. Hadn't noticed the 'L' overshadowing Beinn Bheula before, but I had also been under the impression that Beinn Mhor was the highest in Cowal - and the RaBT really does not feel 'Cowally'. Just from the Wiki, I cant see any of the Ardgoil Peninsula hills described as being within Cowal, which suggests a Hell's Glen divide, but as nigheandonn and Sunset tripper say, it's a historical definition and a bit arbitrary. Plus the title of whichever long-distance way going through it doesn't tell us much! In all honesty I don't know the upper area well but am hoping to get up Beinn Mhor tomorrow so maybe that'll give me a better impression of the unanswerable question :lol:
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Postby DopeyLoser » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:03 pm

The northern boundary is fuzzy whereas the other boundaries are well defined by the sea.

In the Old Statistical Accounts, there is the following definition of Cowal:

STRACHUR AND STRALACHLAN
The district of Cowal, containing 6 parishes, is a point of land, stretching from N. E. to S. W. between the river Clyde and Lochfine. The N. E. part of the district, which joins Perthshire, presents a very rugged and broken surface. The mountains become gradually lower and smoother, as you advance to the S. W. ; and towards the extremity, comparatively speaking, the land is low and evenly.

In that definition, to join Perthshire, it would need to include e.g. Beinn Ime.

Another definition from the same source:
DUNOON AND KILMUN
Presbytery.-Dunoon being the seat of the Presbytery bearing that name, it may be proper to remark, that the presbytery embraces the six parishes in the district of Cowal, viz. Dunoon and Kilmun, Inverchaolain, Kilmodan or Glendaruel, Kilfinan, Strachur and Stralachlan, and Lochgoilhead and Kilmorich or Cairndow

The Lochgoil-Head and Kilmorich entry does not however describe that parish with any mention of Cowal, which may indicate people there thought of Cowal being farther south.

What I can tell you is that in none of the sources I've looked at is the name 'Cowal peninsula' or 'Cowal Peninsula'. This adding of 'peninsula' to Scottish district names is a pox that seems to have arrived in the last 10 or so years. Now we have the Cowal peninsula, the Ardgoil Peninsula, the Kintyre peninsula, the Ardnamurchan peninsula. Yes they are geographically peninsulas, but so is Scotland. What's next? The Scotland peninsula?
DopeyLoser

Postby Craiging619 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:05 am

DopeyLoser wrote:In the Old Statistical Accounts, there is the following definition of Cowal:

STRACHUR AND STRALACHLAN
The district of Cowal, containing 6 parishes, is a point of land, stretching from N. E. to S. W. between the river Clyde and Lochfine. The N. E. part of the district, which joins Perthshire, presents a very rugged and broken surface. The mountains become gradually lower and smoother, as you advance to the S. W. ; and towards the extremity, comparatively speaking, the land is low and evenly.

In that definition, to join Perthshire, it would need to include e.g. Beinn Ime.

Wow, the old Perthshire ran all the way to Beinn Ime? :o I suppose the River Tay starts on Ben Lui which is pretty close.
Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:17 am

Craiging619 wrote:
DopeyLoser wrote:In the Old Statistical Accounts, there is the following definition of Cowal:

STRACHUR AND STRALACHLAN

Wow, the old Perthshire ran all the way to Beinn Ime? :o I suppose the River Tay starts on Ben Lui which is pretty close.

I'm not sure what source that quote came from and I'm not saying it is wrong but I'm thinking it is a bit ambiguous and badly written. I'm almost certain Beinn Ime is not in the district of Cowal. Dunbartonshire is between Beinn Ime and perthshire anyway, I would say. :?
Sunset tripper

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:50 am

malky_c wrote:I have often wondered too. According to the old SMC Corbetts guide (which has a few lower hills in too), Beinn Mhor is the highest hill in Cowal. If that’s true, then the Brack etc (and even Beinn Bheula) can’t be included. It sort of infers a border running from Ardentinny to Strachur along glens.

On the other hand, the Cowal Way goes right through to Inveruglas, so who knows?
EDIT: sorry, I’m just repeating Ian here!

Interesting stuff. Just had a look at the old Corbett book myself, alongside an old map. I'm changing my stance on this one and agreeing with the Corbett book.
I'm from that part of the world ie. Argyll.
*Disclaimer - that doesn't make me an expert* :D

I'm now saying the border of the district of Cowal is, as you suggest, from Ardentinny up to Strachur.

Also I've asked the question and been reliably informed that Lochgoilhead is not in Cowal. :roll:
Sunset tripper

Postby jmarkb » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:19 am

Sunset tripper wrote:I'm now saying the border of the district of Cowal is, as you suggest, from Ardentinny up to Strachur.

Geographically, one might make arguments for Strachur - Holy Loch as the lowest col, Hell's Glen - Lochgoilhead as the shortest col, and Cairndow - R&BT - Ardgarten as the col best joining the heads of the sea lochs.

On the other hand, if I am reading the old maps correctly, the parish of Kilmorich/Cairndow extends all the way up to Meall nan Tighearn at the head of Glen Fyne!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion