walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Stay at home

Re: Stay at home

Postby mynthdd2 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:29 pm

Keep Calm and Carry On (that could be marketable....?)
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:28 pm

Interesting view from USA

Dr. Fauci: "Unless we get this globally under control, there is a very good chance that it will assume a seasonal nature in the sense that if - and I hope it's not only if but when - we get it down to a point where it is really at a low level, we need to be prepared. Since it will be unlikely to be completely eradicated from the planet, as we get into next season, we may see the beginning of a resurgence. And that's why we're pushing so hard to get our preparedness much better than it was but, importantly, pushing on a vaccine and doing clinical trials for therapeutic interventions so that hopefully, if in fact we do see that resurgence, we will have interventions that we did not have in the beginning of the situation that we're in right now"
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby mynthdd2 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:49 pm

I guess this has been addressed but I am currently sat at my desk in a leafy suburb in my big house with a big garden looking out in the distance to a block of flats with no gardens etc and lots of frustrated families unable to access locked down beaches and country parks - more London centric bullsh1t leading to even more domestic abuse up here

let the people go to the wide open spaces we have in Northumberland and observe distancing....
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby artiebear » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:46 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:I guess this has been addressed but I am currently sat at my desk in a leafy suburb in my big house with a big garden looking out in the distance to a block of flats with no gardens etc and lots of frustrated families unable to access locked down beaches and country parks - more London centric bullsh1t leading to even more domestic abuse up here

let the people go to the wide open spaces we have in Northumberland and observe distancing....

This may be my first post here, but a long time user of the sight. I agree with your overall sentiment inasmuch as I have the same residential footprint which you describe, including the option to walk out of my backdoor into woodland and on up the Solway Firth. Apart from one family who had a picnic and built a campfire from branches and loose bone dry leaves, in a nature reserve woodland of the same,30m from folks backdoors in a 20 mph wind, it has been nice to see folks using the opportunity to explore a place many of them are quite unfamiliar with, especially those who are using it as a way to explore local wildlife withy their kids.
Sadly the counter to this has been the report that, today Cumbria police, my area force, have found 300 air B'nB lets available in the Lakes actively seeking clients from this Friday, marketing properties as "the ideal place to self isolate", many, most likely, owned by folk who themselves don't live here. Right now Cumbria is up there ,way ahead of the curve for head of population and deaths in, for the North of the county are two pretty under resourced hospitals.
As for allowing people to feely move around, where do we draw the line ? Right now I would normally be in Lochaber at this time of year, I wouldn't dream of going there for the same reasons that I am **** off with people thinking that, right now my locale is an extension of their backyard. I don't even consider going 20 mins up the road into the Lakes National part onto the northern fells where I know well plenty of the folks who are farming the land I would be walking on.
There has to be a simple instruction to follow otherwise it becomes open to individual interpretation and, sadly, as we all know, due to the nature of our society abuse.
My wife retired on the 2nd day of lockdown after 35 years of teaching, she spent her working life longing to get out for a walk on a school day, It's not great, but right now we will accept what has to be and get on with shopping for 6 households, scarier than Sharp Edge in an ice storm right now in terms of the number of shops and pharmacies we are queuing at and going into.
Again, I agree with you. Like everyone on this site, we know the pure release of getting out on the hill, moor or shoreline, but how on earth are those in charge supposed to define and administer any other form of containment ?
artiebear
Mountaineer

Postby gaffr » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:09 am

Small rented house with a moderate garden....Preparation done for the vegetable growing season which up here is usually late April into early May before most items can be safely put into the ground....a few seeds, peas, radish and salad greens into pots in the makeshift greenhouse....wood for the stove all chopped. I usually have broad beans into pots for a grow before reaching the garden stage however it is not easy to get a hold of most other seeds up here. Have tried on line but the queuing at the seed suppliers is huge with the on line sites...it must be difficult for them to get orders out with now all of the Garden Centres in close down.
Living inside the Cairngorm Park my exercise has been during the past two weeks using the cycle...Glen Feshie a couple of times and a few short rides for loops around the off road trails and minor roads and hardly ever meeting any folks excepting those with dogs and a few walkers and cyclists. Yesterday after a puncture repair to a flat tyre I decided to have a longer ride, with the now legs ok. Using the A9 cycle track for a bit then up into the forest trails from Feshiebridge….the first person that I came across, a little way prior to Jack Drakes Bothy, was a lady walking her dog. After reaching Loch an Eilein and connecting with the trail out towards the Piccadilly Junction did I come across a second lady who whizzed past on her bike and the same lady a bit later at the trail on the South side of Loch Morlich obviously either making or taking a call or maybe just checking her OS Map. A few more folks encountered when approaching the Glenmore holiday complex....no scone and tea at the wee shop this time with everything closed down. Now for the Logging Trail all the way down to Aviemore a ripping rolling track with more folks zipping through and enjoying the ride in the sunshine....a passing wave to two folks at Inverdruie who I knew from sports on the mountain doing stuff in their garden. More folks on bikes as I reached the end of the Logging trail close to Aviemore. After a wee ride beside the road I joined the Speyside Way....with no walkers today... for a stage to get me to Kincraig and to join the A9 cycle track to get back home.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Manwaeadug » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:54 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:I guess this has been addressed but I am currently sat at my desk in a leafy suburb in my big house with a big garden looking out in the distance to a block of flats with no gardens etc and lots of frustrated families unable to access locked down beaches and country parks - more London centric bullsh1t leading to even more domestic abuse up here

It's difficult to find fault with your point on people living in flats (unsure if domestic abuse cases have risen, but it seems to me it's highly likely). I'm quite lucky I have a garden to sit in and get some fresh air, it's not big enough to exercise my dog but I'm lucky I have a few options where I can go with him and avoid the crowds; sure you come across the odd dog walker, family walk etc but it's easy to maintain the guidelines on keeping a safe distance from them. Even at that I am struggling to cope with being isolated, I cannot begin to imagine how people in high rise blocks etc are coping.

On another note, I hope the government does not ban exercise for the masses due to the behaviour of a minority. I'm not sure I would be willing to observe a total lockdown when Amazon, Holland & Barret, off licences etc etc workers are classed as essential and can get out and about (even if it's only to work). Just being honest here. I am observing the rules as they are of course.
I reckon the government would run the risk of a public backlash if they were to go down that road. Just an opinion though, not saying I'm correct in my thinking. :)
Manwaeadug
Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   
Walk wish-list

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:44 pm

From a press release by Highland Council's Access Manager:-
The Highland Council’s Access Officers have become aware of several illegal ad hoc signs appearing on paths and access routes saying that they are closed. These signs are misleading, so the team is taking this opportunity to remind everyone about the current COVID-19 outdoor access guidance.

Outdoor Access and Long Distance Route Manager, Philip Waite said: “We want to remind everyone that the Rights of Responsible Access still apply and parts of the countryside are not closed. Some signs that are appearing are not appropriate.

“Landmanagers do not have the legal right to block or obstruct paths or other access routes. If anyone has any concerns they should contact the local access officer by emailing access@highland.gov.uk.

“What we ask is that everyone continues to follow the Scottish Outdoor Access Code and the current Government advice on exercising outdoors.”
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby al78 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:29 pm

If it weren't for COVID19, I would have been in Snowdonia this week climbing the 3000'ers to gain some hill fitness for a backpacking weekend in early May. It's like the weather has stuck two fingers up at me going NAAA NAAA NA NAAAA NAAAAA. I'm not really complaining, I've got it easy compared to a lot of people at the moment.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Backpacker » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:45 pm

Looks like the rules on exercise are being tightened

National clinical director Jason Leitch has emphasised the rules over what exercise is allowed during the lockdown, especially ahead of the Easter weekend.

"Exercise is exercise - not recreation, not your hobby," he says. "It's not the time to go mountain biking. You need to use it for 30, up to 60, minutes from your home to exercise to stay healthy and then stay at home."
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Grisu » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:54 pm

Backpacker wrote:Looks like the rules on exercise are being tightened

National clinical director Jason Leitch has emphasised the rules over what exercise is allowed during the lockdown, especially ahead of the Easter weekend."Exercise is exercise - not recreation, not your hobby," he says. "It's not the time to go mountain biking. You need to use it for 30, up to 60, minutes from your home to exercise to stay healthy and then stay at home."

Ridiculous. It makes people even more sick and vulnerable.

Over here a court of the country Mecklenburg Vorpommern has suspended an instruction which has forbidden traveling within the country over Eastern. Now the people of this country can travel to the coast while keeping the distance. Only travellers from other countries of Germany are not allowed to come. In my place we have no travelling restrictions and no time limits.
I only wonder why the death toll in UK has risen so quickly.
I am very sad about all this and whish you all good luck and all the best!!!
Stay save and take care.
Anke
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Postby DavidShepherd » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:23 pm

Grisu wrote:

National clinical director Jason Leitch has emphasised the rules over what exercise is allowed during the lockdown, especially ahead of the Easter weekend."Exercise is exercise - not recreation, not your hobby," he says. "It's not the time to go mountain biking. You need to use it for 30, up to 60, minutes from your home to exercise to stay healthy and then stay at home."

Over here a court of the country Mecklenburg Vorpommern has suspended an instruction which has forbidden traveling within the country over Eastern. Now the people of this country can travel to the coast while keeping the distance. Only travellers from other countries of Germany are not allowed to come. In my place we have no travelling restrictions and no time limits.
Stay save and take care.
Anke

Because of things like this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-52221688
We are being advised that social distancing is the way to stop the spread of this virus and people are not following this advice. I won't begin to guess at why they think they are special enough to not get infected/pass on the infection but their selfishness is what is causing our problems. Although it's a distinct possibility that the death toll in the UK just now is only so high because we took so long to enact the actual lockdown.

I would be inclined to say that the people in some of our neighbouring European countries, taking your country as an example, are so much more socially responsible than the people in the UK, and that includes Scotland.
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby dav2930 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:41 pm

Grisu wrote:

Stay save and take care.
Anke

Yes, that is ridiculous, and irrational. Like South Korea, Germany realised very quickly that the key to controlling the spread of Covid-19 is testing on a massive scale, and acted accordingly. The UK government have failed miserably in that respect and have admitted that lessons can be learned from Germany's example. As well admitting these mistakes, Jason Leitch should be concentrating on providing sufficient PPE and testing for front-line workers, and endorsing measures that will actually have an effect on the spread of the virus, instead of telling people that they're not allowed to enjoy being outside. That is not based on science, serves no purpose whatsoever, and risks a public backlash. Needless to say, other clinical experts disagree with him.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby AHillTooFar » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:04 pm

Until such things are in Law then nothing is being tightened and people should avoid making statements like Mr Leitch did, the 30 minutes or 1 hour thing is not from anything official and numbers like those do not help.

Link to the press conference regarding exercise. Cannot believe they are claiming staying at home literally saves lives. If I leave my home I am not literally killing people.
AHillTooFar
Mountaineer

Munros:29   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:42 pm

National clinical director Jason Leitch has emphasised the rules over what exercise is allowed during the lockdown, especially ahead of the Easter weekend.

It may come as a surprise to Dr Leitch, but his personal opinion however well-intentioned, does not have any legal force. In the legislation pertaining to coronavirus in Scotland there are no prescriptive limits on the type of exercise to be taken OR it's duration.
PS The relevant Act is available online for anyone who wants to look for themselves.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby Culardoch » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:03 pm

So at present my "hobby" of mountain biking is, according to Jason Leitch, banned. Looking at that logically (excuse me while I laugh :lol: ) I can't now use my mountain bike to go to the forest. Present thought would be to use the back roads (Sustrans route) to the forest and then the forest roads.
NOTE: Hate using my mountain bike on the road but it's all I've got and can't use the car to get to the forest. :(
NOTE 1: Not use any mountain biking trails which are "officially" closed.
NOTE 2: Not that I would use the trails any way without full armour, full face helmet and having had the lobotomy!
NOTE 3: Social distancing not required as I don't think that squirrels can catch the lurgy. Not that I can catch squirrels anyway.

Meanwhile of course any tom, dick or harry in H. M. Gov can swan off anywhere there's a second home. Plus any zealous plod can do me for my "hobby" (perhaps :shock: ) which really is the safest form of not coming in contact with anyone else!

Does anyone understand this tripe coming out of supposed experts mouths.
Culardoch

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion