walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Stay at home

Re: Stay at home

Postby al78 » Sun May 03, 2020 11:11 am

magicdin wrote:Depends on the road. On a straight road yes walk on right towards traffic. But on a winding road better to walk on the outer edge of the bend so that motorists,bikers,cyclists see you earlier.

Yes that is what I tend to do, put myself where I can be most visible. Drivers and cyclists should be driving/cycling at a speed at which they can stop within the distance they can see to be clear, but sadly they don't always. I think sometimes the brain gets programmed into believing a blind bend or summit will always be clear, because it has been clear the previous 100 times.
al78
Munro compleatist

Munros:28   Corbetts:8
Donalds:1

Postby Gareth Harper » Sun May 03, 2020 11:17 am

I try to be considerate of cyclists but I was annoyed at a pair of cyclists who decided to cycle side-by-side up the A82, trying to "own the road". I noticed in my mirror some fist-waving from them, for some reason.

I have in the past (well over 20 years ago) cycled the on the A82 solo from Drummadrochit to Bridge of Orchy. On the whole I didn’t mind the twisty sections too much, and yes the technique is at times to sit in the middle of the ones side of the road to prevent cars from passing. But then again there are always impatient drivers who would rather endanger your life than wait a minute or so until its safe to pass.
What I did find scary was cycling through Glencoe and over Rannoch Moor, even though I was lucky to have a NW wind to aid me. The road is narrow and many drivers think nothing of brushing by you at 70, 80mph or more. It was a joy turn off and cycle down Glen Orchy away from the bulk of the traffic.

I do believe something strange happens to many people when they climb into their motorised cages.
Gareth Harper

Munros:166   Corbetts:49
Grahams:18   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:5   

Postby al78 » Sun May 03, 2020 12:15 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:
I do believe something strange happens to many people when they climb into their motorised cages.

Some people just have an overinflated sense of entitlement.

When I was cycling home one evening which involves going uphill to a grade seperated roundabout with the bypass, I was near the top of the hill and became aware of a driver closing from behind. I moved left to let them past and they just blasted their horn at me whilst roaring past far too close. They then entered the roundabout and tried to drive up the exhaust of a driver that evidently was going too slow for them.
al78
Munro compleatist

Postby Marty_JG » Sun May 03, 2020 2:01 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:I have in the past (well over 20 years ago) cycled the on the A82 solo from Drummadrochit to Bridge of Orchy.

I've never passed a solo cyclist unsafely.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:8   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby AHillTooFar » Sun May 03, 2020 5:19 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:I do believe something strange happens to many people when they climb into their motorised cages.

Reading that reminds me of this cartoon. The important thing is the date it was released...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Mania
AHillTooFar
Mountaineer

Munros:27   Corbetts:11
Grahams:2   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Gareth Harper » Mon May 04, 2020 10:59 am

Reading that reminds me of this cartoon. The important thing is the date it was released...

Superb. And 1950!

I've never passed a solo cyclist unsafely.

Marty, you shouldn’t pass anybody or anything unsafely.
Gareth Harper

Postby Marty_JG » Mon May 04, 2020 12:50 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:Marty, you shouldn’t pass anybody or anything unsafely.

Gareth, cyclists would assist rather than hinder in this by not cycling dangerously and illegally.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby al78 » Mon May 04, 2020 2:20 pm

Marty_JG wrote:

Gareth, cyclists would assist rather than hinder in this by not cycling dangerously and illegally.

What do you mean by dangerously and illegally in this context?
al78
Munro compleatist

Postby Marty_JG » Mon May 04, 2020 3:40 pm

al78 wrote:
Marty_JG wrote:

I've already given the story and the relevant section of the highway code (66) that they broke.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby al78 » Tue May 05, 2020 2:15 pm

Marty_JG wrote:
al78 wrote:
Marty_JG wrote:

I've already given the story and the relevant section of the highway code (66) that they broke.

Cycling two abreast isn't illegal, it is advisory in the highway code, but the highway code is not law. As has been said, two abreast can be safer as it forces motorists to overtake properly, rather than squeeze past dangerously close because they think their car will explode if they cross the centre line. Whether you want to believe and accept that is irrelevant.
al78
Munro compleatist

Postby Marty_JG » Tue May 05, 2020 5:15 pm

The Highway Code contains both direct statute (must) and advice (should), however in any legal action be it criminal or civil the Road Traffic Act says the Highway Code may be relied upon to establish or mitigate liability and the courts always (that I can find) side with it.

That you have the spicy opinion the Highway Code is wrong is not justification to ignore it.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby jupe1407 » Tue May 05, 2020 6:11 pm

Wondered how long it would take to get to anti-Cyclist bingo. I'm calling "house" as soon as Road Tax is mentioned :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:234   Corbetts:20
Grahams:6   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:1

Postby Gareth Harper » Wed May 06, 2020 11:02 am

I try to be considerate of cyclists but I was annoyed at a pair of cyclists who decided to cycle side-by-side up the A82, trying to "own the road". I noticed in my mirror some fist-waving from them, for some reason.

Was the “for some reason” because you had, in your car, forced your way past them? In other words, because you were annoyed at them, that they had delayed your journey for a few seconds – and your perception was that they were not following the rules of the road - therefore in your mind that gave you the right to endanger their lives by using your car as a weapon in forcing your way past.

That is certainly careless driving, if not dangerous driving. One factor in determining dangerous driving is – was there a danger of physical injury.
Gareth Harper

Postby Marty_JG » Wed May 06, 2020 4:08 pm

I overtook them if that's the question. An MTB bicycle can easily be two and a half feet wide, with easily a foot and a half distance between them that's four feet of additional overtaking space required. Even being fully on in the oncoming traffic lane would still, arguably, be too close for comfort for the cyclist almost in the middle of the road. The Highway Code says to leave as much room as one does for a car (tick!) whereas cyclist forums suggest it should be two meters (6.5 feet). That pushes my six-foot-wide car into the oncoming verge.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/what-should-highway-code-say-about-overtaking-distances

I'm pro-cycling and own two, come from a background of motorcycling so am cognisant of the physical dangers and lack of visibility, had cycled as my main transport during years of living in the Netherlands... and yet I'm also in favour of cycling safely and following the rules. Controversial stuff!

PS Jupey, today's fun fact is Road Tax was abolished in 1937. You'll need to try harder with me. 8)
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed May 06, 2020 9:25 pm

I will try spelling 'metres' as 'metres' and not as 'meters'......
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:27

PreviousNext

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to General discussion