walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Stay at home

Re: Stay at home

Postby al78 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:16 pm

tony.cee wrote:There is also the reality of you not being able to catch the virus, simply by looking at someone. So unless these “locals” out in the country side intend to wrestle with the visiting “townies”, they should calm down and have a cup of perspective about the whole thing. The hills belong no more to them than they do to me and you.
I suppose when sturgeon (or do we listen to Boris? The ayatollah?) says we are allowed to sit on the grass again, she could also chuck in a couple of reassuring facts so the people that the gov have petrified, can breathe slightly easier.
Scotland’s greatest asset is its outdoor space, it is for everyone to enjoy. Even those south of the wall. :lol:
The message should be enjoy the outdoors, but an even greater emphasis on being careful and planning and not taking risks with weather or over exertion.

I think what they are afraid of is the scenes at the honeypot sites being a repeat of what we saw at the beaches along the south coast i.e. everyone has the idea they can go to the beach but zero interaction between individuals as to where to go cooperatively so no one place gets rammed full. It doesn't matter how careful any individual is, they can't control other people and they can't know for certain whether the place they want to go will be quiet, because a load of others might have the same idea, and there are always the significant number who don't think. We are somewhat knackered with a high population with a selection of places of high desirabilty, and the collective consequences of that.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby al78 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:21 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:I totally understand remote communities being nervous of city and town dwellers bringing in the virus but we cant stay like this forever...

Unfortunately from what I see on Yahoo and BBC comments sections (ugh!) there are a minority who seem to want just that, presumably people who are priviliged enough to live with their loved ones, so don't live alone, physically cut off from their friends and family, and have no desire for physical human affection or get it from who they live with.
al78
Walker

Postby tony.cee » Sat May 23, 2020 10:30 pm

al78 wrote:
Unfortunately from what I see on Yahoo and BBC comments sections (ugh!) there are a minority who seem to want just that, presumably people who are priviliged enough to live with their loved ones, so don't live alone, physically cut off from their friends and family, and have no desire for physical human affection or get it from who they live with.

I despair too when I read comment sections. The people rooting for self imposed imprisonment are entitled to continue to isolate themselves forever if they want to, nobody is going to be kicking in doors and dragging them out. However, I expect a huge swing in public opinion when furlough draws to an end. Worth keeping in mind that there is a very vocal section of society who want the hills fenced off to the insured only, but that’s a different can of worms.
The “five mile” limit is to be taken as seriously as the “one hour” of exercise. Which if anyone has strava, wasn’t taken seriously at all.
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Munros:99   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   

Postby Silver Bear » Sat May 23, 2020 10:39 pm

Hills next week for me
Lockdown is a farce

Was in Tescos earlier and no social distancing
It's gone

Glencoe here we come woohoo

Can't wait
Silver Bear

Postby kennysou » Sat May 23, 2020 11:26 pm

tony.cee wrote:
al78 wrote:

I despair too when I read comment sections. The people rooting for self imposed imprisonment are entitled to continue to isolate themselves forever if they want to, nobody is going to be kicking in doors and dragging them out. However, I expect a huge swing in public opinion when furlough draws to an end. Worth keeping in mind that there is a very vocal section of society who want the hills fenced off to the insured only, but that’s a different can of worms.
The “five mile” limit is to be taken as seriously as the “one hour” of exercise. Which if anyone has strava, wasn’t taken seriously at all.

Spot on about Strava. Being cynical & truthful at the same time, cyclists have 'never had it so good' since lockdown - the furloughed have had the freedom to explore, less cars on the roads and, well, in April at least, good weather. Plenty cyclists I know and follow via Strava have clocked up rides that have taken them out for hours - 3-4-5 hours not uncommon, and for some, 40 miles from home at the furthest point on their ride. It is surely the most elastic definition yet of keeping it local.

What worries me - in the absence of a authoritative statement from Police or the FM or someone with a bit of clout - is that those hillwalkers who do venture out find a hostile environment; damage to cars whilst you are up the hills, cars blocked in, run in's with local's, or police who might force their own interpretation of the regulations on parties. To prevent all these mishaps, I look forward to seeing within the week a clear, consistent and definitive statement on where we stand.
kennysou

Postby Silver Bear » Sun May 24, 2020 12:06 am

The hills will always be open
It's our rights

The tsumami visiting wave is on the way , regardless of what ' the locals ' think
Silver Bear

Postby al78 » Sun May 24, 2020 12:50 am

kennysou wrote:
tony.cee wrote:
al78 wrote:

Spot on about Strava. Being cynical & truthful at the same time, cyclists have 'never had it so good' since lockdown - the furloughed have had the freedom to explore, less cars on the roads and, well, in April at least, good weather. Plenty cyclists I know and follow via Strava have clocked up rides that have taken them out for hours - 3-4-5 hours not uncommon, and for some, 40 miles from home at the furthest point on their ride. It is surely the most elastic definition yet of keeping it local.

What worries me - in the absence of a authoritative statement from Police or the FM or someone with a bit of clout - is that those hillwalkers who do venture out find a hostile environment; damage to cars whilst you are up the hills, cars blocked in, run in's with local's, or police who might force their own interpretation of the regulations on parties. To prevent all these mishaps, I look forward to seeing within the week a clear, consistent and definitive statement on where we stand.

You are right about cycling, it is difficult to come up with better weather than we've had in April and May for getting outside in general. I've managed lots of work on my allotment and never had any issues with rain, more the lack of it if anything, although todays thunderstorms will have nicely watered the crops I have planted out over the last week. It hadn't occurred to me up until now that the vocal few who are shouting for people to stay away from their beauty spots may be the same people who hate visitors in general (Royston Vasey types), and are using the pandemic as an excuse to vent hatred and dissuade visitors. I am staying away from the hill walking honeypots until there is a clear message that hiking in remote areas (including hillwalking) is allowed, but when the green light is given I intend to restart going through my list of stunning backpacking routes across the more remote parts of the Scottish highlands (e.g. Blair Atholl to Aviemore, Glenfinnan to Glen Sheil via Knoydart, maybe the Glen Affric way, although one niggle with the latter is the first day and a half is almost entirely road walking). I'd have thought the hospitality industry in these areas of outstanding natural beauty would be keen to get to pre COVID normal.
al78
Walker

Postby Billbobaggins » Sun May 24, 2020 7:39 am

Silver Bear wrote:Hills next week for me
Lockdown is a farce

It's gone

Can't wait

I hope you have a lovely time
Billbobaggins

Munros:85   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:48   

Postby CharlesT » Sun May 24, 2020 8:36 am

....for some, 40 miles from home at the furthest point on their ride. It is surely the most elastic definition yet of keeping it local

My cycling "elastic" definition has been staying within West Oxfordshire, though straying into Gloucestershire has occurred. :lol: The local constabulary have far better things to do than hunt down errant roadies and I did notice one of the popular cyclists' pit stop cafes was open last Wednesday with several riders enjoying the facilities. It is the village shop too, so they can plead legitimacy. We're quite a relaxed bunch here in the Cotswolds.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sun May 24, 2020 9:14 am

kennysou wrote:
tony.cee wrote:
al78 wrote:

One of the confusing things about lockdown rules was that they did state what your normal excercise would be time wise so if your normal daily routine lasted 3hrs or whatever that was permitted,that's what happens when those in charge set confusing rules with no clear precise meanings.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby gman » Sun May 24, 2020 9:47 am

I've seen police checkpoints on the cycle path at Loch Lomond but they're just checking for groups and just wave you through if you're alone. One time I was having lunch on the shore of the Gareloch near Faslane peace camp, the police stopped to see what I was up to but I knew them from passing so we just had a laugh. IME they've been fine with cyclists, there's nothing in the law restricting distance on exercise so it's been peaceful coexistence - unless you turn up somewhere of strategic importance in a high vis jacket :lol:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Raynor » Sun May 24, 2020 11:15 am

Just keep an eye on the legislation on the 28th to keep yourself on the right side of the law. Other than that, everything else is just advice.

People will only follow rules/advice if they make sense. 2m social distancing was just advice, which everyone happily followed as they realised the obvious benefits.

Can you really say the same about stopping people driving to a hill?

I'll promise you one thing, all the people that have crammed into tiny off licences in the last 8 weeks (as apparently being drunk is considered essential) will have caused more spread of the virus than if every hillwalker in the UK descended on the highlands next weekend. But who's the supposed rule breaker?
Raynor

Munros:110   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:4

Postby magicdin » Sun May 24, 2020 12:47 pm

Silver Bear wrote:Hills next week for me
Lockdown is a farce

It's gone

Can't wait

Go on break a leg (or maybe not) :roll:
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby Sgurr » Sun May 24, 2020 12:58 pm

Seen more breaches since Cummings did his drive thna before.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby chigton » Sun May 24, 2020 1:40 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/may/24/uk-scientists-want-to-infect-volunteers-with-covid-19-in-race-to-find-vaccine

I'm confused, thought we were at risk of a second peak imminently because people were not social distancing at crowded beaches....
chigton

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion