walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Stay at home

Re: Stay at home

Postby Jorja the Dug » Sun May 24, 2020 3:45 pm

Sgurr wrote:Seen more breaches since Cummings did his drive thna before.

I've genuinely done my best to stick to the rules/guidelines since this all started. Including restricting my visits to my 83 year-old mother to standing out in her garden (having delivered her shopping & watching her wipe the carrier bags down with Dettol) once a week. Nobody in my family has exhibited any symptoms at any point.

To say that the bold Dominic's behaviour has (a) ground my gears and (b) caused me to reassess my lockdown compliance is putting it mildly.

I would claim to be speechless, but obviously that's no' true.

:?
Jorja the Dug
Mountaineer

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Donalds:1

Postby Tringa » Sun May 24, 2020 6:08 pm

I bet Boris was glad when that briefing was over. The typical confident, enthusiastic delivery at the start quickly disappeared during the questions. He did not look very comfortable.

It is beyond belief that Boris has not asked DC if he had visited Barnard Castle. If the answer was, "No" then that would have been a simple answer to give. The only conclusion is that he did make the visit.

Boris also dodged the question that if other families were in the same situation as Dominic Cummings would it be acceptable for them to do the same.

I thought it was interesting at one point Boris said Dominic Cummings' action was to prevent the spread of the disease. How, when the virus is already affecting a member of your family and you have the symptoms, can leaving your house and driving 200 miles+ be a way of trying to stop the disease spreading.

Dave
Tringa

Postby al78 » Sun May 24, 2020 6:36 pm

Raynor wrote:People will only follow rules/advice if they make sense.

You have far too much faith in humanity. People will break rules if it is convenient for them, they can get away with it with no personal consequence, and they personally don't see a problem with it (the latter not even considered by the morally dead). Unfortunately what an individual sees from their own teeny tiny perspective on the world can be very different from the population scale big picture.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9

Postby Sgurr » Sun May 24, 2020 7:16 pm

I live in a beautiful tourist town near a little beach. It explicitly says in the rules that you shouldn't drive for exercise, yet more people are rolling up to the beach in cars and taking their kids down to play on the sands. Unfortunately the path down to them is less than 2 m wide. I can walk to it easily, but today I gave up as people kept coming up or going down the path. OK, maybe I shouldn't be selfish, maybe they belong in the same town as me, so it isn't that much different from walking to the beach if their kids could walk that far, and maybe having Edinburgh number plates only proves that some Fifers go to Edinburgh to buy their cars. Maybe the family I saw in what has always been a student house have been living there since before lock-down and I just haven't noticed. Maybe, or maybe not. I'm not a snitch, but my blood pressure is rising.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun May 24, 2020 9:34 pm

Sgurr wrote:I live in a beautiful tourist town near a little beach. It explicitly says in the rules that you shouldn't drive for exercise, yet more people are rolling up to the beach in cars and taking their kids down to play on the sands. Unfortunately the path down to them is less than 2 m wide. I can walk to it easily, but today I gave up as people kept coming up or going down the path. OK, maybe I shouldn't be selfish, maybe they belong in the same town as me, so it isn't that much different from walking to the beach if their kids could walk that far, and maybe having Edinburgh number plates only proves that some Fifers go to Edinburgh to buy their cars. Maybe the family I saw in what has always been a student house have been living there since before lock-down and I just haven't noticed. Maybe, or maybe not. I'm not a snitch, but my blood pressure is rising.

I think a lot of people are now going to be using the governments double standards as an excuse. Good chance from friday onwards you are going to have a lot of Edinburgh and Glasgow golfers visiting also which will probably be acceptable going by the vague guidelines. I'm a bit disappointed mountain rescue team leaders have been saying they want to keep people off the hills as long as possible. It looks like they dont want us back probably until after the pubs are opened.
Mountaineering Scotland are doing a bit better and asking for clarity but if I was a member I would be hoping they were pushing for more access for everyone sooner rather than later, but maybe that's not what their members want. :?
I'm not a fan of golf but they seem to be using a common sense approach and opening up their car parks which is the only practical option.
Meanwhile the National Parks are keeping the car parks blocked off and discouraging visitors. I dont get it when the NPs are ideal places for social distancing with minimal chance of infection.
It's time for MRT and the NPs to realise that they are going to have to deal with Covid19 or stand aside.
I cant see that the situation is going to be so much better in 3 weeks, 6 weeks or 9 weeks.

Ps I understand your frustration, all the best and hope things improve soon.
Sunset tripper

Postby Backpacker » Sun May 24, 2020 10:21 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:
Sgurr wrote:I live in a beautiful tourist town near a little beach. It explicitly says in the rules that you shouldn't drive for exercise, yet more people are rolling up to the beach in cars and taking their kids down to play on the sands. Unfortunately the path down to them is less than 2 m wide. I can walk to it easily, but today I gave up as people kept coming up or going down the path. OK, maybe I shouldn't be selfish, maybe they belong in the same town as me, so it isn't that much different from walking to the beach if their kids could walk that far, and maybe having Edinburgh number plates only proves that some Fifers go to Edinburgh to buy their cars. Maybe the family I saw in what has always been a student house have been living there since before lock-down and I just haven't noticed. Maybe, or maybe not. I'm not a snitch, but my blood pressure is rising.

I think a lot of people are now going to be using the governments double standards as an excuse. Good chance from friday onwards you are going to have a lot of Edinburgh and Glasgow golfers visiting also which will probably be acceptable going by the vague guidelines. I'm a bit disappointed mountain rescue team leaders have been saying they want to keep people off the hills as long as possible. It looks like they dont want us back probably until after the pubs are opened.
Mountaineering Scotland are doing a bit better and asking for clarity but if I was a member I would be hoping they were pushing for more access for everyone sooner rather than later, but maybe that's not what their members want. :?
I'm not a fan of golf but they seem to be using a common sense approach and opening up their car parks which is the only practical option.
Meanwhile the National Parks are keeping the car parks blocked off and discouraging visitors. I dont get it when the NPs are ideal places for social distancing with minimal chance of infection.
It's time for MRT and the NPs to realise that they are going to have to deal with Covid19 or stand aside.
I cant see that the situation is going to be so much better in 3 weeks, 6 weeks or 9 weeks.

Ps I understand your frustration, all the best and hope things improve soon.

MRT should just be seeing that unless it’s life or death we’re not coming to get you. SMR came out on Friday and pretty much said welcome back if you live within the 5 mile radius but I gather mountaineering Scotland are after a bit more clarity seeing as the 5 mile limit doesn’t mean anything.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:117
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby letmein » Mon May 25, 2020 1:23 pm

During quarantine, it’s very difficult to leave the house even for walks, but you want to do something at home, do you have any tips?
letmein

Postby Hike Man » Mon May 25, 2020 3:09 pm

It seems that as citizens we can drive to and shop in crowded supermarkets any day of the week. I know very many of our emergency services personnel do the same. I see no real social distancing in these places and see the closing of outdoor spaces by restricting travel as somewhat confusing.

I am no more likely or unlikely to have an outdoor accident requiring emergency services or contract or spread the virus by walking a nearby hill or one that is a fair drive away.

I have been staying within the spirit of what the government has decreed but there is always risk and I am more likely to catch and spread a virus in my local shops than walking our great outdoors.

If you wrap your children in cotton wool they end up having no freedom. I feel like one of those children.
Hike Man

Munros:40   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:5   

Postby tony.cee » Mon May 25, 2020 7:19 pm

My friend, An Nhs nurse (gasps from afar) was up the hills today from glen esk and he said the car park was busy and people were out on the hills.
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Munros:99   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   

Postby SummitViews » Mon May 25, 2020 7:27 pm

tony.cee wrote:My friend, An Nhs nurse (gasps from afar) was up the hills today from glen esk and he said the car park was busy and people were out on the hills.

Great news ,are the main car parks now open ?
I was led to believe they had been closed off
SummitViews
Mountaineer

Munros:31   

Postby tony.cee » Mon May 25, 2020 7:36 pm

Not officially it seems but someone removed the barrier at some point and cars were using the car part and parked all along the verges. My friend also said around 50 people were up mount keen too, not all at the top at once, but staggered throughout the day.
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Munros:99   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   

Postby SummitViews » Mon May 25, 2020 7:45 pm

Excellent , thanks for the info Tony
SummitViews
Mountaineer

Munros:31   

Postby zzigurat » Tue May 26, 2020 10:55 am

I've already had the virus,recovered, and decorated the whole house, and now officially scunnered
I'm intending to go out on the hills after this coming weekend, especially with the good weather forecast.
If the fukcwits in the 'lowlands' cant keep to the rules, then I'm outa here, and heading for some fresh air.
zzigurat
Mountaineer

Munros:58   

Postby Sgurr » Thu May 28, 2020 2:07 pm

zzigurat wrote:I've already had the virus,recovered, and decorated the whole house, and now officially scunnered
I'm intending to go out on the hills after this coming weekend, especially with the good weather forecast.
If the fukcwits in the 'lowlands' cant keep to the rules, then I'm outa here, and heading for some fresh air.

:roll: :roll: :roll: Husband took the precaution of breaking hip before acquiring the virus, so I couldn't ask him to redecorate the house. :? On the other hand, he hasn't asked me to do it either.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby al78 » Thu May 28, 2020 3:38 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:
Sgurr wrote:Meanwhile the National Parks are keeping the car parks blocked off and discouraging visitors. I dont get it when the NPs are ideal places for social distancing with minimal chance of infection.

The issue is probably with the honeypot areas, which if restrictions were lifted to the point where visiting national parks was allowed, they would get rammed full like the beaches have been, and social distancing would be difficult if not impossible. Ever tried to park at Pen-Y-Pass or Llyn Ogwen on a warm sunny bank holiday weekend, or any warm sunny day?
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion