walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Stay at home

Re: Stay at home

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:00 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:I do feel there is an element of London-centric rulings taking place (happens a great deal in NHS directives) so what works for the South East surely does not apply to the same degree in rural Northumberland/Scotland/Wales etc etc one size does not fit all.....

I agree with your point but if these rules keep outbreaks well under control in other places then all the better. Also you put different rules for outside London it's going to end up with an influx of people leaving the capital.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:05 pm

geocaching wrote:
Sgurr wrote:
Scottk wrote:Bit worrying that the percentage of males affected is so much higher than females!

Some say it is because more men smoke, but only 16.5 as opposed to 13%, in the UK but maybe a bigger percentage HAVE smoked.

Personally this is getting ridiculous. More men smoking ect ect. Statistics show over many years the female of the species have a longer lifespan.

Can anyone point me to the unfortunate fatalities that have not had other underlying conditions? That is the problem! But the media seem to ignore facts

Here you go bud - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52041709
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby mynthdd2 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:16 pm

my missus (frontline GP) pointed out to me the glaring obvious fact that as fatalities tend to be in the older age brackets eg 70+ then surprise surprise they all tend to have underlying health issues anyway

PS example of London centric/NHS directive for surgeries to remain open to 8pm.....in her working class district of the North East where the population are principally 'little old ladies' whose bus passes run out at 5 nobody was signing up for the late appointments.

Equally, what works in crowded old London Town with its swarming millions surely does not 100% apply to rural UK
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:46 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:my missus (frontline GP) pointed out to me the glaring obvious fact that as fatalities tend to be in the older age brackets eg 70+ then surprise surprise they all tend to have underlying health issues anyway

PS example of London centric/NHS directive for surgeries to remain open to 8pm.....in her working class district of the North East where the population are principally 'little old ladies' whose bus passes run out at 5 nobody was signing up for the late appointments.

Equally, what works in crowded old London Town with its swarming millions surely does not 100% apply to rural UK

Ok, but how long is it going to take to make targeted advice for each little district of the North East, customised based upon the age of their demographic? How much additional confusion is it going to cause having different advice for different places and how much extra communication will be needed to share the information.

Surgeries remain open till 8. It's easy, it's clear and it can be communicated across the nation in a single breath. :thumbup:

Sure, it might not be the most efficient strategy in terms of resources in every location, but I would imagine London will be our worst hit and worst case location, surely basing our strategy on the worst case and hoping it is OTT for most locations is a better one than assuming others won't be as bad and creating a more relaxed strategy for them that turns out to be insufficient?
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Postby mynthdd2 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:05 pm

The demographics of each 'little district' are well identified and scarce NHS resources are best targeted. to those populations -

and it is surely not beyond the wit of government to rightly continue to focus rulings on social distancing for example and accept that me up a hill is not as scary as a Tube full of people
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Postby Gareth Harper » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:11 pm

Boris Johnson has tested positive for Covid19

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52060791

So, I can’t help but quote him – 3rd march 2020
I was at a hospital the other night with a few coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody

I guess with people like Boris and The Donald in charge – well what have we got to worry about?
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:25 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:The demographics of each 'little district' are well identified and scarce NHS resources are best targeted. to those populations -

and it is surely not beyond the wit of government to rightly continue to focus rulings on social distancing for example and accept that me up a hill is not as scary as a Tube full of people

Apologies, it was the old ladies that were little in your post, not the districts! That wasn't meant as condescending as it now sounds!

Well I guess we'll disagree about the targeting of resources but I think your "accepting me up a hill" argument suffers the same communication problems as your targeted resources would. It would cause undue confusion and openness to interpretation. Can I go up Bennachie? Can I go up Ben Nevis? Can I drive to go up Bennachie? Can I camp?

The message, Stay at home, is clear cut.
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Postby Culardoch » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:33 pm

Just wondering. I have a dog. It needs walking. Won't pee or whatever in the back garden & I don't fancy a trashed house so walking we have to go.

Usually meet quite a lot of people but they are mostly keeping the required distance from one another. It is a town environment and you cannot legislate for the odd bod who doesn't understand or doesn't care about distancing.

So is it better to drive twelve miles to a forest where we might meet one person in say ten visits. I know and understand the "requirement" to not drive but I would suggest that for me it is a better alternative and it is less likely that I will get the dreaded virus or indeed infect anyone else. Incidentally it isn't a hill environment but the usual broad forest road.

What think you?
Culardoch

Postby DavidShepherd » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:59 pm

Culardoch wrote:Just wondering. I have a dog. It needs walking. Won't pee or whatever in the back garden & I don't fancy a trashed house so walking we have to go.

Usually meet quite a lot of people but they are mostly keeping the required distance from one another. It is a town environment and you cannot legislate for the odd bod who doesn't understand or doesn't care about distancing.

So is it better to drive twelve miles to a forest where we might meet one person in say ten visits. I know and understand the "requirement" to not drive but I would suggest that for me it is a better alternative and it is less likely that I will get the dreaded virus or indeed infect anyone else. Incidentally it isn't a hill environment but the usual broad forest road.

What think you?

I think it depends on what you call local.
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby Culardoch » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:20 pm

Therein lies a problem. Just who defines "local". Is it plod who might be in a bad mood? Is it Nippy Nicola who might be in a bad mood? Is it the judge when I'm brought before the beak?

Incidentally I should have added that my suggested trip to the forest was on say two days of the week. The rest of the time I'd just have to take my chances. :shock:
Culardoch

Postby Border Reiver » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:29 pm

I can see the reasons for exercising locally, but I've found out that everyone is obeying that instruction and the local walks are busy enough to make avoiding other folk at close quarters nigh on impossible. Whereas, in better times we would often drive for 1/2 an hour and walk on the moors without seeing anyone else, we now feel obliged to stay in our house and garden, rather than walk locally among all the others obeying the rules.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby Essan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:30 pm

Culardoch wrote:Just wondering. I have a dog. It needs walking. Won't pee or whatever in the back garden & I don't fancy a trashed house so walking we have to go.

What think you?

Do you agree it's okay for, say, 100 other people living in your town to do the same? What about 500? 1,000?
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:36 pm

Culardoch wrote:Therein lies a problem. Just who defines "local". Is it plod who might be in a bad mood? Is it Nippy Nicola who might be in a bad mood? Is it the judge when I'm brought before the beak?

Incidentally I should have added that my suggested trip to the forest was on say two days of the week. The rest of the time I'd just have to take my chances. :shock:

I think the best bet is to take the walk from your front door early or late to reduce chances of encountering others.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby madprof » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:04 pm

Government's update advice is sadly not much better than before: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52062209

"Stay local for exercise"

But no idea of what local means or whether you can use a car.

I suspect this is unclear because they expect us to use our own sense of caution. There are always fuzzy edge cases.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Walk wish-list

Postby mynthdd2 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:06 pm

Very sadly a lot of people are sick and also there are a lot of deaths from this virus but....imagine if it had been a variant of the pandemic of the Black Death/Plague which killed millions of people in an age where people didn't even travel far.......stay at home? Ive now signed up to the stay at home position totally but will venture out for essentials

(Incidentally, I see off licences are exempt from closures - essential?!)
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion