walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Stay at home

Re: Stay at home

Postby Csm8 » Thu May 28, 2020 5:30 pm

al78 wrote:
Sunset tripper wrote:
Sgurr wrote:Meanwhile the National Parks are keeping the car parks blocked off and discouraging visitors. I dont get it when the NPs are ideal places for social distancing with minimal chance of infection.

The issue is probably with the honeypot areas, which if restrictions were lifted to the point where visiting national parks was allowed, they would get rammed full like the beaches have been, and social distancing would be difficult if not impossible. Ever tried to park at Pen-Y-Pass or Llyn Ogwen on a warm sunny bank holiday weekend, or any warm sunny day?

Yup, the answer is to go to remote areas or obscure hills. Sounds perfect to me :D
Csm8
Munro compleatist

Munros:71   Corbetts:42
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:13

Postby jmarkb » Thu May 28, 2020 5:49 pm

From Mountaineering Scotland (https://www.mountaineering.scot/coronavirus):

"In light of the First Minister’s statement today (28.5.20), we are busy finalising detailed guidance for hill walkers and climbers, which will be available on our website tomorrow (Fri 29 May)."
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby jaffa61 » Thu May 28, 2020 7:17 pm

See also the "5 mile radius ?" thread
I think we will see the end to this muddled guidance tomorrow with clarity when Mountaineering Scotland make statement
jaffa61
Mountain Walker

Munros:202   Corbetts:36
Fionas:41   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:11   Islands:7

Postby al78 » Thu May 28, 2020 7:50 pm

al78 wrote:
Sunset tripper wrote:
The issue is probably with the honeypot areas, which if restrictions were lifted to the point where visiting national parks was allowed, they would get rammed full like the beaches have been, and social distancing would be difficult if not impossible. Ever tried to park at Pen-Y-Pass or Llyn Ogwen on a warm sunny bank holiday weekend, or any warm sunny day?

Yup, the answer is to go to remote areas or obscure hills. Sounds perfect to me :D

Yes, I reckon I could do the Ben Alder munros or Blair Atholl to Aviemore over the munro summitss without coming near anyone else and with minimal risk of requiring rescue, but it seems to be a situation where as long as there are a minority of idiots who have a much higher risk of mischief, everyone has to be restricted.

I look forward to hearing the new guidance for hill walkers. I'm not sure given the recent relaxation of the rules whether or not I'm allowed to drive or cycle to the base of the South Downs or Surrey hills and go for a walk, so I haven't considered doing so untilm I'm sure.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby jmarkb » Thu May 28, 2020 8:21 pm

al78 wrote:I look forward to hearing the new guidance for hill walkers. I'm not sure given the recent relaxation of the rules whether or not I'm allowed to drive or cycle to the base of the South Downs or Surrey hills and go for a walk, so I haven't considered doing so untilm I'm sure.

BMC Advice for England and Wales is here: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/can-i-start-climbing-and-hill-walking-again
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby Csm8 » Thu May 28, 2020 8:45 pm

al78 wrote:I'm not sure given the recent relaxation of the rules whether or not I'm allowed to drive or cycle to the base of the South Downs or Surrey hills and go for a walk, so I haven't considered doing so untilm I'm sure.

I think it’s safe to say you’d be more than allowed to go if it’s a place you can do the whole 2m thing.
Csm8
Munro compleatist

Munros:71   Corbetts:42
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:13

Postby al78 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:22 pm

jmarkb wrote:
al78 wrote:I look forward to hearing the new guidance for hill walkers. I'm not sure given the recent relaxation of the rules whether or not I'm allowed to drive or cycle to the base of the South Downs or Surrey hills and go for a walk, so I haven't considered doing so untilm I'm sure.

BMC Advice for England and Wales is here: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/can-i-start-climbing-and-hill-walking-again

Thanks, the answer is clearly yes but keep up social distancing. That has made me feel better, I can satisfy my itchy feet.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby gaffr » Thu May 28, 2020 9:38 pm

Hello...I have taken my cycle into the National Park for several weeks now...home back to home.
All eerily quiet. Today when heading for the upper Feshie I came across a Roe deer sauntering through Kincraig and on the new cycle track beside the dualled A9 I have been outrun a few times by a roe deer buck ...me between the Roe and the Fast moving traffic on the road to Inverness. I did inform the estate and they said that a wee gate would be left open for him in the high deer fence. when I went down to Aviemore for supplies last week he was not around so I guess he is back safely inside the fence.
Not many folks around on the forest trails...occasional biker and a few dog walkers. The Police are around on the roads monitoring but once you get into the forest trails where you can be for a couple of hours or so you are in a world with just the springtime birds for company.
I am a biker who is not happy out on the tarred roads, far too scary, so I plan days with the absolute minimum of road contact.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby jmarkb » Fri May 29, 2020 12:37 pm

jmarkb wrote:From Mountaineering Scotland (https://www.mountaineering.scot/coronavirus):

"In light of the First Minister’s statement today (28.5.20), we are busy finalising detailed guidance for hill walkers and climbers, which will be available on our website tomorrow (Fri 29 May)."

Now available at: https://www.mountaineering.scot/assets/contentfiles/pdf/2020-05-Covid--19-Guidance-for-hillwalkers-and-climbers-Final-Version28.05.20.pdf
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby goth_angel » Fri May 29, 2020 12:45 pm

Csm8 wrote:
al78 wrote:I'm not sure given the recent relaxation of the rules whether or not I'm allowed to drive or cycle to the base of the South Downs or Surrey hills and go for a walk, so I haven't considered doing so untilm I'm sure.

I think it’s safe to say you’d be more than allowed to go if it’s a place you can do the whole 2m thing.

I think you will be fine. I drove to the South Downs on Monday. Started pretty early though to dodge the crowds and managed it pretty successfully although the car park was heaving when I got back to the car.
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:181   

Postby jupe1407 » Sat May 30, 2020 12:48 am

kennysou wrote:
Spot on about Strava. Being cynical & truthful at the same time, cyclists have 'never had it so good' since lockdown - the furloughed have had the freedom to explore, less cars on the roads and, well, in April at least, good weather. Plenty cyclists I know and follow via Strava have clocked up rides that have taken them out for hours - 3-4-5 hours not uncommon, and for some, 40 miles from home at the furthest point on their ride. It is surely the most elastic definition yet of keeping it local.

What worries me - in the absence of a authoritative statement from Police or the FM or someone with a bit of clout - is that those hillwalkers who do venture out find a hostile environment; damage to cars whilst you are up the hills, cars blocked in, run in's with local's, or police who might force their own interpretation of the regulations on parties. To prevent all these mishaps, I look forward to seeing within the week a clear, consistent and definitive statement on where we stand.

I'm not going to lie, as a cyclist lockdown has been fantastic. All the roads about me are even quieter than usual, and again being completely honest I'm regularly out for 2-4 hours for a ride. The early impression for the exercise guidance I heard was something about it being "well within your capabilities" and tbh 4 hours/60 miles isn't all that difficult. I think the "one hour" thing first came up as an off-the-cuff comment from Michael Gove, whose opinions on literally anything can be filed in the nearest available bin. Jason Leitch mentioned it a few weeks later, but then he thinks mountain-biking isn't legit exercise :lol: Not sure i'd be going 40 miles from the house though.

As for the hills, I do miss them massively, but seeing as it's absolutely boiling at the moment, it's midge season and the clegs will soon be out, I have absolutely no problem in staying off them for a while yet. Even when travelling to hills more than a few miles away is possible I'll be avoiding them for a few weeks as it will be ridiculously busy and the likes of the A9, A82 etc will be absolute purgatory.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Essan » Sat May 30, 2020 8:06 am

Glas Allt Shiel bothy has now been locked due to idiots misusing it when they weren't even allowed to be there in the first place :(

Remember: even if you can go hillwalking, you can't yet stay out overnight and you absolutely cannot use a bothy.
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby CharlesT » Sat May 30, 2020 9:38 am

jupe1407 wrote:
kennysou wrote:
Spot on about Strava. Being cynical & truthful at the same time, cyclists have 'never had it so good' since lockdown - the furloughed have had the freedom to explore, less cars on the roads and, well, in April at least, good weather. Plenty cyclists I know and follow via Strava have clocked up rides that have taken them out for hours - 3-4-5 hours not uncommon, and for some, 40 miles from home at the furthest point on their ride. It is surely the most elastic definition yet of keeping it local.

What worries me - in the absence of a authoritative statement from Police or the FM or someone with a bit of clout - is that those hillwalkers who do venture out find a hostile environment; damage to cars whilst you are up the hills, cars blocked in, run in's with local's, or police who might force their own interpretation of the regulations on parties. To prevent all these mishaps, I look forward to seeing within the week a clear, consistent and definitive statement on where we stand.

I'm not going to lie, as a cyclist lockdown has been fantastic. All the roads about me are even quieter than usual, and again being completely honest I'm regularly out for 2-4 hours for a ride. The early impression for the exercise guidance I heard was something about it being "well within your capabilities" and tbh 4 hours/60 miles isn't all that difficult. I think the "one hour" thing first came up as an off-the-cuff comment from Michael Gove, whose opinions on literally anything can be filed in the nearest available bin. Jason Leitch mentioned it a few weeks later, but then he thinks mountain-biking isn't legit exercise :lol: Not sure i'd be going 40 miles from the house though.

As for the hills, I do miss them massively, but seeing as it's absolutely boiling at the moment, it's midge season and the clegs will soon be out, I have absolutely no problem in staying off them for a while yet. Even when travelling to hills more than a few miles away is possible I'll be avoiding them for a few weeks as it will be ridiculously busy and the likes of the A9, A82 etc will be absolute purgatory.

Concur.😁 The roads have been pleasantly quiet, though picked up lately. The one hour thing is a nonsense for a regular roadie, I'm usually out between two and three, sometimes four. Riding a circular route from home the furthest out is 23 miles, which is in another County as it happens. I ride alone and live alone, so the chances of catching it or infecting others are vanishingly small. As for the hills, I wouldn't be going to Scotland until the summer silly season had passed anyway and I've a few English Hewitts to tick off yet, so when I can travel and stay overnight that's what I'll be doing. Have to agree on the fellow Gove, for someone of undoubted mental ability he does make the most baffling remarks.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Sat May 30, 2020 1:11 pm

[quote=Remember: even if you can go hillwalking, you can't yet stay out overnight and you absolutely cannot use a bothy.[/quote]
Just as there is no curfew on when you may go hillwalking, cycling or whatever (we're coming up to the best time of year for those who enjoy a bit of night walking) there is no ban on staying outdoors overnight. For obvious reasons there is a restriction in overnighting in a household other than your own, but not on camping/bivvying solo or with other members of your household.
The risk of spreading/contracting covid-19 is no different from just being there in the first place.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat May 30, 2020 1:37 pm

jupe1407 wrote:
I'm not going to lie, as a cyclist lockdown has been fantastic. All the roads about me are even quieter than usual, and again being completely honest I'm regularly out for 2-4 hours for a ride. The early impression for the exercise guidance I heard was something about it being "well within your capabilities" and tbh 4 hours/60 miles isn't all that difficult. I think the "one hour" thing first came up as an off-the-cuff comment from Michael Gove, whose opinions on literally anything can be filed in the nearest available bin.

For a hill walker or a cyclist the advice for phase 1 and phase 2 if taken literally is stricter than the initial full lockdown advice because originally their was no 5 mile limit :wink:

Unfortunately moutaineering Scotland (among others) has taken this advice literally, the scottish government has never said travelling to the hills is breaking the new rules despite having plenty opportunity to do so. Mountaineering Scotland at the start of the week said they were going to ask for clarity. Its unclear how they got on with that. :roll:
Sunset tripper

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion