walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Self isolation and effect on hill environment

Re: Self isolation and effect on hill environment

Postby al78 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:21 am

You are allowed to go out for one form of exercise for a day, as long as you keep your distance from others, so it is not true that you have to keep yourself imprisoned indoors. It is people taking the p*ss like last weekend flocking to beauty spots that authorities are trying to prevent, not an individual walking their dog alone away from anyone else.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby geocaching » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:26 am

al78 wrote:You are allowed to go out for one form of exercise for a day, as long as you keep your distance from others, so it is not true that you have to keep yourself imprisoned indoors. It is people taking the p*ss like last weekend flocking to beauty spots that authorities are trying to prevent, not an individual walking their dog alone away from anyone else.

Does not everyone know that?
geocaching
Stravaiging

Postby Giant Stoneater » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:49 am

Some of the things that crop up that dont' make sense,a single person with dog is only allowed out once as a family of 4 can take their dog out 4 times once by each person.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:43 am

It would take years if not decades for the erosion caused by walkers to heal. I think the old path on Schiehallion is finally starting to fade. Hope the wildlife don't get too used to it and nest near paths only for humans to tramp on.

I see it's business as usual with muirburn though. :roll:
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:32 am

al78 wrote:You are allowed to go out for one form of exercise for a day, as long as you keep your distance from others, so it is not true that you have to keep yourself imprisoned indoors. It is people taking the p*ss like last weekend flocking to beauty spots that authorities are trying to prevent, not an individual walking their dog alone away from anyone else.

That's true to a degree mate, but just to add some clarity to it, alone or not you are not allowed to drive to the hills to walk your dog.

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2020-03-26/police-ban-driving-anywhere-to-walk-your-dog-or-exercise/

Giant Stoneater wrote:Some of the things that crop up that dont' make sense,a single person with dog is only allowed out once as a family of 4 can take their dog out 4 times once by each person.

Aye, but keep in mind they are doing a lot of these policies on the hoof and trying to make things that will work for people and be adhered to yet still have a meaningful impact. So although by the letter of the law you could do that, from a point of view of trying to pull together and do the best you can to reduce the chance of spreading the virus, you shouldn't. A lot of the choices we make for the future will need to be based on that, not just what can we legally get away with.

Pic related. :)
Doggo.jpg
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby al78 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:12 pm

geocaching wrote:

Does not everyone know that?

They should do, but there are some on here who seem to be crying out STAY AT HOME whenever they get the slightest whiff of anyone even considering stepping outside, whereas the rules do not demand you never leave your home, they say only leave if essential, or to exercise alone. Just because there are individuals who are trying to take the p*ss, does not mean we have to swing the pendulum to the other extreme.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby DavidShepherd » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:18 pm

I've been heading out once a day in to my local area. There's good cycle paths around and I'm near Eglinton country park (though its. 4.5 miles so there and back is maybe stretching it a bit too much). If i live somewhere where the hills were right on my doorstep, i would probably go up them for a bit but not for hours at a time as I would normally do.
Easiest thing to do is to follow all the advise and stay local.
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby Border Reiver » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:02 pm

I can see the reasons for exercising locally, but I've found out that everyone is obeying that instruction and the local walks are busy enough to make avoiding other folk at close quarters nigh on impossible. Whereas, in better times we would often drive for 1/2 an hour and walk on the moors without seeing anyone else, we now feel obliged to stay in our house and garden, rather than walk locally among all the others obeying the rules.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby davekeiller » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:48 pm

@ Border Reiver That's the problem.
I'm sure that, in the current circumstances, most people on here would head to the quieter hills where they can spend all day and count the number of other people they saw on the fingers of one hand. Chances of spreading or being exposed to coronavirus almost nil, and probably lower than going to the local park.
Unfortunately, however, last weekend the world and his wife decided to go up Snowdon, and those that weren't in North Wales all went and sat cheek by jowl on Bournemouth beach.
As a result, we've all been put on lockdown and they've closed most of the car parks so we can't drive out to a secluded car park, have a quiet walk on a deserted hill and drive back home again, even though 99.9% of us would do so responsibly and without taking significant unnecessary risks.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:43 am

I work in hospitals caring for Covid-19 patients, now I have a day off and the sun is shining, oooo I want to go for a hike in the hills.... :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Bimbling » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:23 pm

In an attempt to get back to the original question posed...

My view is that with hillwalkers off the hill, volunteers who normally monitor breeding birds of prey not going to their usual sites that many raptors will have a poor breeding season. This is because the illegal killing and disturbance of our birds of prey by some sporting estates, especially intensively managed grouse moors will be able to go on undisturbed and undiscovered. Much like as happened in the 2001 F&M exclusions.

This will have no effect on the hill environment, but will have a negative (hopefully short term) effect on the ability of Scotland's ordinary people to enjoy seeing their country's magnificent birds of prey.

Write to your MSPs and ask them to support the introduction of Licensing for shooting estates.
Bimbling
Hill Bagger

Munros:263   Corbetts:29
Fionas:11   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:44

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:32 pm

Bimbling wrote:Write to your MSPs and ask them to support the introduction of Licensing for shooting estates.

What is the license for?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Bimbling » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:40 pm

Search "Werritty Review" th the Scottish Government and read about the recommendation to introduce a licensing scheme for game shooting estates. The idea is that with prosecutions for illegal killing of wildlife so difficult that estates where illegal acts are proven to have taken place eg spring traps in the open catching hen harriers, but no perpetrators can be identified then the estate loses the licence to shoot for a period.

Environment Minister considering the report now. If we want some positive change in the uplands to improve for wildlife now is the time to express that view.
Bimbling
Hill Bagger

Munros:263   Corbetts:29
Fionas:11   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:44

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion