walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cairngorm Munro Planning

Cairngorm Munro Planning

Postby malrobb » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:31 pm

Hi All,

Just lifting my eyes to the horizon and thinking about how I can do sets of Munros when this current situation improves. I enjoy planning but it would be good to get the wisdom of the fine folk on here to see how they would tackle the Cairngorm Munros. I have done the Braeriach-Cairntoul traverse as well as Cairngorm and don't mind repeating some if it makes sense. I was thinking of doing the following over separate days from Glen Feshie in line with the WH routes:

Mullach Clach a'Bhlair-1 Day
Sgor Gaoith-1 Day
Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain-1 Day

I was also thinking about doing the following from Glenmore Lodge:

Bynack Mor-1 Day

The ask is around the remaining ones. I would quite like to do them in one go and happy to backpack but just trying to get a feel on likely routes and over how many days. I don't mind starting in one place eg the Linn of Dee and finishing in another eg The Cairngorms car park.

Cairngorms Massif.jpg

Grateful for any thoughts or comments.

Thanks
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Munros:201   

Re: Cairngorm Munro Planning

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:40 pm

Carn a Mhaim, Ben McD & Derry Cairngorm make a good round from Derry Lodge (we camped there before the loop, walked out straight after, but with summer hours Linn of Dee would be fine, if a long day.)

Can't help with the others, they're still on the list...

Planning is currently an excellent diversion from being stuck in doors.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby prog99 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:46 pm

malrobb wrote:Mullach Clach a'Bhlair-1 Day
Sgor Gaoith-1 Day

I'd just do these on the same day, not masses of drop and decent tracks between them.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby harry hill » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:59 pm

I did Ben Avon, Beinn a Bhuird, Beinn a Chaorainn and Beinn Bhreac as a bike/hike. I left the car at Linn of Dee, cycled to Invercauld bridge where I dumped the bike. The walk was 27 miles and took 10 hours 40 mins, can't remember how long the cycle took, but probably about half an hour.
harry hill
Ambler

Munros:236   Corbetts:21
Fionas:28   Donalds:89

Postby mash tun » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:33 am

There are several reports which may help, eg rockhopper covered many of your remaining hills in an two day/one night walk and, if you're minded to, you could add on the other two ?
mash tun

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:41 am

I would also do Mullach Clach a' Bhlair and Sgor Gaoith together. The walk between the 2 munros is easy going, though a bit featureless in poor visibility. It's a fine walk between the 2 munros and you can take a direct line just skirting Coire Garbhlach. There are different options but this is the easiest route.

New_Route (2).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

If doing Mullach Clach a' Bhlair on its own there is a track right to the summit and you can take the bike :shock: .

All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:38 am

You could probably add Sgor Gaoithe onto the Monadh Mòr and Beinn Bhrotainn day. Without it took me about 8 hours from Achlean and Sgor Gaoithe isn't that far from Carn Ban Mor which you'll be heading over anyway. Same goes for Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir although all four would be a herculean effort without camping.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby jmarkb » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:22 am

Mal Grey wrote:Carn a Mhaim, Ben McD & Derry Cairngorm make a good round from Derry Lodge

If you made a base camp at Derry Lodge, you could also do Mheadhoin, Chaorainn and Bhreac as a round from there. Bhuird + Avon can be a day trip from Invercauld (biking in helps).

Doing MCaB and Gaoith together is efficient, but misses out on some of the better bits of walking (e.g. SW ridge of MCaB, Geal Charn and Sgoran Dubh Mor approach to Gaoith).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby al78 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:36 am

This is a route I was thinking of doing one day (whenever I am confident enough in my fitness).

Invercauld bridge -> Ben Avon -> Beinn a Bhuird -> Beinn Bhreac -> Beinn a Chaorainn -> Beinn Mheadhoin -> Derry Cairngorm -> Ben Macdui -> Cairn Lochan -> Cairn Gorm -> Bynack Mor.-> Glenmore Lodge

An alternative extension is to head to Derry Lodge from Derry Cairngorm, then come back NW the next day to Ben Macdui via Carn a Mhaim, which is otherwise awkwardly placed. I think that would knock off every Cairngorm Munro east of the Lairig Ghru.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby walkingpoles » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:28 pm

This walkreport might give you some inspiration:
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80628
I linked all the munros in a week. I enjoyed staying in the cairngorms and not going out into civilisation each evening, so basically did all the munros "from the inside". There are lots of bothies to help with that. I had various plans and adjusted them according to conditions and how I felt. It was fairly efficient. I included a second attempt on Beinn Mheadoin as I was not able to climb its summit tor on the first try due to the atrocious weather. This makes the route look overly zigzagging. I suggest that you keep your plans fluid and are able to change them as you go. And if you miss one of the munros, you'll be lucky to have another excuse to come back:)

The Mullach something on its own might be a bit disappointing as there is a vehicle track up to the summit. Or it's a fine hill, for when the rain hits you sideways. I found the link between it and Sgor Gaoith quite hard going due to the bog, but then I was quite tired and the conditions were not the best.

Enjoy!
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby vuirich » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:41 pm

When doing Bynack More, by whichever route you choose, consider taking in the Corbett Creag Mhor as well. It is not far from Bynack More, and would save you a long haul for solitary Corbett.

Agree with the views about doing SG and MCB together.
vuirich
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:64
Fionas:89   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:183   Hewitts:148
Wainwrights:214   Islands:27

Postby malrobb » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:06 am

Thanks to all who have replied with their ideas. Seems prudent to do MCB and SG together in one day and I will investigate the other walk reports and ideas that people have pointed me to,

Much appreciated

Mal
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Munros:201   

Postby St Pedro » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:29 pm

Excluding Glen Feshie doubler on good tracks Mullach Clach a'Bhlair then onto Sgor Gaoith from achlean car park

most of the central Cairngorms can be accessed simply from Linn of Dee approach, especially if enjoy camping.

Carn a'Mhaim/Macdui/Derry Cairngorm - We cycled in 30 mins to Derry Lodge, allows you to carry decent quantity of gear, walked/pushed bikes to campsite spot in lightly wooded area by ford just before Luibeg bridge. Fantastic clockwise circuit from there. Even better if go in night before set up camp and set off fresh in morning.
From this base camp we also went up Lairig Ghru for Braeriach - Devils point circuit.

This same camp could be used to access Monadh Mor/Beinn Bhrotain circuit via Glen Geusachan, we cycled in to white bridge from Linn of Dee, walked up glen to MM and simple ridge stroll to BB, and descended SE to white bridge. Friend Jamie actually added these 2 to our above Braeriach 4 circuit, but he is not normal...

next outing up Glen Derry for Beinn Bhreac and Beinn a'Chaorainn and enjoyable return down Derry flats with option if feeling fit and weather good to climb Beinn Mheadhoin as well.

so could be an excellent 3 days, with lighter pack on hills and comforts of camp at end of each day.

Another separate option worth considering is linking Bynack Mor with Beinn Mheadhoin as i did. left bike at ski car park then parked at Glenmore lodge walked in via lochan Uaine, superb 10hr day. explored little barns of bynack and the demoted munro A'Choinneach descended S to Glen Avon and easy ascent up nose sron Ghorm onto Mheadhoin, completed Pedro circuit past shelter stone up onto Cairngorm and quick descent to waiting bike and speedy free wheel to waiting car.

Just leaves Beinn a'Bhuird/Ben Avon (my 100th) circuit to enjoy. Twice have cycled in from invercauld/Keiloch to Slugain ruin - my first ever cycle approach munro - remember thinking was hard work worth it on way in, but on 35 minute freewheel descent to car realised why... Excellent path/terrain up onto plateau of BB via Carn Fiaclach and means have corrie rims to follow and superb views over to Ben Avon for rest of the day and quality path in glen to take you back to waiting bike and freewheel home.

This could of course be tagged onto same camping trip by relocating and accessing from Linn of Quoich.

I love the Cairngorms and as have seen from all replies lots of different ways to enjoy them, have fun planning and enjoying the trips eventually
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:73   Donalds:89+49
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   Islands:36

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion