walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Applauding our fantastic NHS

Re: Applauding our fantastic NHS

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:13 am

Marty_JG wrote:
The armed forces put their lives at risk by flying thousands of miles to Islamic countries to shoot the local Muslims dead. This I lament and regret.

That is one of the saddest comments I've seen on this website and I dont think this is the place for it. Lucky for you people have fought and died to give you the piece of mind to flippantly type such things at the safety of your keyboard and live in a country where you have great freedom.
You obviously have no idea how the armed forces operate or what pressure they can come under. Lucky lucky you.

I will not look at any reply to this as it is the wrong place for such comments or discussions and if seen fit I would be quite happy for mine and your posts to be removed.
Sunset tripper

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:32 am

al78 wrote:We shouldn't blame the military for the former. They are not doing it out of choice, they are doing it under orders from our leaders.

That reason can be given by the soldiers forced to fight in the first Gulf War, no such excuse can be given by anyone who signed-up after 1990.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:34 am

Sunset tripper wrote:That is one of the saddest comments I've seen on this website and I dont think this is the place for it. Lucky for you people have fought and died to give you the piece of mind...

I don't think the soldiers who invaded Iraq have given me any freedom, security, or peace of mind and I think it is a gross disservice to soldiers who have fought defensive wars to associate them with the belligerents who fought in wars of aggression.

They died for Cheney and Blair, not me.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby madprof » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:44 am

Could we keep comments on here positive?

Easier to avoid political discussions if we talk about things we think are good.

If people do want a political discussion there is always Reddit but this is a hill walking forum and I make a point of never discussing politics when I meet people on the hill or in a hostel. Easier to find what we have in common, which turns out to be quite a lot.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:12 pm

Comments about the involvement of the armed forces in overseas wars - whether you are in favour or against - are completely off topic. Any further comments on that will be removed and warnings sent.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Culardoch » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:19 pm

The heading on this thread is: Applauding our fantastic NHS

I for one plus the rest of this household think that those poor underpaid and overworked doctors, nurses and ancillary workers are doing a fantastic job in extremely trying times. Who knows where we'll end up. So yes we appreciate you whoever you are whether you read this forum or not! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Off now to the forest. :shock: :twisted: :wave: :lol:
Culardoch

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:37 pm

Sorry for diverting from your original post Alteknacker. Regarding the applause for the NHS. I was working at the time and knew nothing about it, but on hearing of it I thought it was a great thing and a positive thing for the NHS and the people taking part - for everyone really.

I think it cheered people up in general, not just the NHS staff working in such challenging times.

On a lighter note, a friend told me he went to put the bins out at 8 o clock and all his neighbours were clapping. He thought he'd won the postcode lottery! :D :D :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Sgurr » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:48 pm

I would be clapping to the seagulls. Husband is in hosp at present having given NHS even more work to do by falling off his bike and breaking hip and arm., something he would never have attempted were it not for being shut in. He is being treated FANTASTICALLY. I am just hoping they can find him a bed in our local community hospital instead of what is likely to become a hotbed of coronovirus. Not allowed to visit in case I bring it in, or give them anything for him. He is desperate for reading matter and has been reading The People's Friend :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I WOULD applaud if anyone could see me, but I would applaud with a great big banner saying MORE PAY. More pay for the scaffies the posties, the shop workers and all the other low paid who are keeping us going.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:18 pm

Sgurr wrote:I would be clapping to the seagulls. Husband is in hosp at present having given NHS even more work to do by falling off his bike and breaking hip and arm., something he would never have attempted were it not for being shut in. He is being treated FANTASTICALLY. I am just hoping they can find him a bed in our local community hospital instead of what is likely to become a hotbed of coronovirus. Not allowed to visit in case I bring it in, or give them anything for him. He is desperate for reading matter and has been reading The People's Friend :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I WOULD applaud if anyone could see me, but I would applaud with a great big banner saying MORE PAY. More pay for the scaffies the posties, the shop workers and all the other low paid who are keeping us going.

Poor hubby. I hope he makes a quick recovery and can get home soon. Accidents can happen anywhere.

Your sentiments are spot on. There needs to be a re-balancing, somehow. Though I can't say as I'm optimistic it will really happen.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Ibex » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:33 pm

I have quite a number of friends who are nurses, or work for the NHS in a different capacity. Several of them have caught the virus and then passed it on to partners. All of them are stressed to breaking point at the moment, and as nice as the gesture is, clapping your hands outside once a week does not lead to change.

I have a number of nerdy friends who are 3D printing parts for visors and other medical equipment. Others that are volunteering as well. And now I have finished moving house, I may look to volunteer soon as well.

There is a lovely community spirit up here and we have had a community outreach program put a leaflet through the door, to help people when they need it. That sort of stuff is great.

It might be a small morale boost for NHS workers, by clapping for a bit once a week, but all the ones I know want the same thing. Don't vote for the Tories again!!!!!
They have systematically run down the NHS over the last decade and have responded in an inept manner to this crisis and the whole country is paying the price now. The same Tories that not long ago classed nurses as non-skilled workers and clapped to freeze their pay. Remember the amazing NHS workers, but also remember what the Tories did to put them in this position.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:47 pm

I'm afraid this thread is still generating more complaints.

Whilst it's quite right to look at and argue about politics at a time like this (and perhaps even more so afterwards), I don't think Walkhighlands is the right place to do it.

Given this, we are asking people not to post political views on Walkhighlands.

We are keeping the thread, as whilst I realise applauding the NHS is political too, I think there is enough consensus on the work being done by NHS workers for it to be accepted by all.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion