walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Applauding our fantastic NHS

Applauding our fantastic NHS

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:57 pm

I wonder: did folk from our walking community get out the other evening and clap to show our appreciation of the commitment of our NHS workers? I have a reason for asking...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Applauding our fantastic NHS

Postby Gordymck » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:39 am

I was working so I didn't know about it. I'll await with interest just how much public support the NHS workers get the next time they're striking. The public can be fickle.
Gordymck
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:30 am

There's an old boy who lives opposite & he likes a drink. He was outside, the only one outside, walking up to his flat and everyone lent out of their windows and started clapping and cheering. He really didn't know what was going on - the look on his face was priceless.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Coop » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:23 am

Most in our scheme were at the window or outside clapping
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby jmarkb » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:29 am

We were at our window (on the 2nd floor) - good response from our street with plenty others at windows or in doorways.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:33 am

Lots of people in Glasgow did so, it was quite touching. Please don't forget there are more than NHS workers in healthcare; I work for a private agency but still work on the front line, looking after Corona Virus patients directly. Luckily I am protected from potentially deadly infection by my thin polythene apron and small paper mask.

I am not as doctor - but I stole her mug#r.jpg
I am not a doctor - but I stole her mug...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby mash tun » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:43 am

We got back just before 8pm from our local daily walk exercise including standing outside and talking to my nearly 90yo mother who lives about 2km away so stood in our front garden and started clapping.
Felt a bit odd at first but then more and more people came outside or opened their windows and started clapping as well.
Kept it up for a while and shouted over to each other - think more neighbours spoke to other neighbours that evening than perhaps had ever happened before !
mash tun

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:06 am

It takes a virus for us to appreciate what a grand job the NHS is doing,while most of the time it gets slated.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby al78 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:43 am

I was shopping in my local Tesco at the time, so missed the 8pm applauding.

I have appreciated the NHS ever since they saved my life five years ago, I don't need a national pandemic to do so.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:46 am

There were quite a few on our street. I sat by my flat's open window and joined in. Hopefully, though it makes little material difference, it gave a boost to any NHS and associated heroes to know they weren't forgotten.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby mynthdd2 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:33 am

I walked into the living room - clapped and cheered for my somewhat bewildered GP partner then gracefully withdrew...she thinks I'm eccentric anyway
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Raynor » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:52 pm

Just an exercise in attention seeking and virtue signalling for most around here. Especially when everyone had their phones out video recording it so they could jump onto facebook and share it to get themselves some attention. I've no doubt the same people will be calling the NHS staff all sorts the next time they are at A+E and have a five hour wait to be seen :lol:
Raynor

Munros:110   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:4

Postby KeithS » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:51 pm

For those who think this was an attention seeking exercise, or a waste of time, I have to disagree.

We were at our window, making as much noise as possible. We expected to be the only ones and to be embarrassed. We were not the only ones, there was plenty of noise and fireworks.

Was this a waste of time?

Let me tell you this:

Our Lucy was at work just into her night shift as a front line nurse on the wards in her hospital, fortunately kitted out in PPE. She was too busy to be looking out of the windows and did not hear the cheering.

However, at the end of her shift, along with her fellow nurses, she was able to see it on video. She said it was so moving to see it and she felt so proud that the country were showing some appreciation and she thanked us for doing it. SHE THANKED US!

So if makes the slightest bit of difference I would clap and shout and scream every single night.

She is, along with her fellow nurses, doctors, and all the supporting staff, my absolute heroine
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby Gareth Harper » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:11 pm

I just feel it’s patriotic nonsense, gives us a sense of that great British bulldog spirit you know - everybody pulling together and all that. A great way to plaster over the cracks and ignore the reality.

We’ve had ten years of austerity, budget cuts across all services and a lack of investment in our NHS. Right across the country people applauding the NHS, just months after re-electing the very government that has so undermined it and will continue to do so. Sorry I wanna scream, not clap.

I just don’t feel like clapping when our health workers lack basic protective equipment and can’t even get tested for Covd19 if unwell. Don’t get me wrong, they are doing an absolutely outstanding job and in unbearably but unnecessarily tough conditions - and I fear it’s gonna get worse. Our health care workers deserve better.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mynthdd2 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:53 pm

Hear Hear - well said
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion