walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

WH Murray

WH Murray

Postby weedavie » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:02 pm

David Lintern writes about WH Murray https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/infected-a-call-for-love-in-the-time-of-corona/0020615/ . He concentrates on his undoubted spiritual dimension. What he misses out though is his totally barking dimension. His books, Mountaineering in Scotland and Undiscovered Scotland are brilliant but contain a fair share of "Jaysus, why would you ever do that?" moments.

Favourites include testing a high altitude tent in freezing rain on Clach Leathad at New Year. If you want to experience it, he advises settling down in a cold shower in your bathroom for the night. In a similar vein on Rum when he left his rucksack on the boat, he explains how to get through the night with the controlled shivering he developed during winter in a German POW camp.

At one point going down Glen Falloch he and his mates jump the falls and back for a dare. He goes in and nearly drowns. I read this years ago but last year I was cycling down the glen and went and took a look at what they jumped. Bonkers isn't in it.

They're books worth reading.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Re: WH Murray

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:22 pm

I love his books, and though they are definitely "of their time", his descriptions of time spent in the Highlands are wonderful.

You're right about some of the things they did though! :shock:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby mynthdd2 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:34 pm

the Mountaineering Club I used to belong to had been founded by some (then) young men in the 1960's who would for example get a skinful in one of Snowdonia's pubs then, at night, all would go out and do Crib Goch...mad as a bucket of frogs
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Sgurr » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:54 pm

We have such a lot to thank him for, but the stand out thing is his campaign to prevent the flooding of Glen Nevis (YES GLEN NEVIS) by the hydro Board shortly after WW2
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby dav2930 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:16 pm

Sgurr wrote:We have such a lot to thank him for, but the stand out thing is his campaign to prevent the flooding of Glen Nevis (YES GLEN NEVIS) by the hydro Board shortly after WW2

I didn't know that! Imagine Glen Nevis drowned by a dirty great reservoir :shock: Thank you WH Murray, what a guy! :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby dav2930 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:23 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:the Mountaineering Club I used to belong to had been founded by some (then) young men in the 1960's who would for example get a skinful in one of Snowdonia's pubs then, at night, all would go out and do Crib Goch...mad as a bucket of frogs

Sounds like the Mountaineering Club I used to belong to. I remember on a trip to Cheddar Gorge they got totally rat****d on scrumpy then with thumping hangovers next morning went and climbed Coronation Street :crazy: (I settled for something easier.)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion