walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

5G is the cause of Covid19!

5G is the cause of Covid19!

Postby Culardoch » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:17 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52164358

Yes folks some of our brightest brains have determined that 5G is something to do with the Corona Virus. So to help this along it's apparently a great idea to torch the 5G masts. :shock: :shock:

You just couldn't make up this rubbish if you tried. Perhaps the virus is really around to knock off the human race! There, that's another crackpot theory.

Think that I'll give up reading the news. :lol: :wink:
Culardoch

Re: 5G is the cause of Covid19!

Postby Pointless Parasite » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:07 pm

Yes I saw this on Twitter and thought it was a lone nutcase, but it seems to have caught on. There are a lot of people who are in denial about Cov19, filming their local hospitals as if to prove nothing is happening and it's all some liberal conspiracy.
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby madprof » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:07 pm

This is criminal and right when we need to communicate with each other some of us are going to lose mobile coverage.

I rate them the same as those people who attacked the home of a paediatrician in Portsmouth.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby CharlesT » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:32 pm

The trouble with nutters is they remain nutters regardless of the facts, they are impenetrably stupid.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262

Postby Sgurr » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:07 am

One of my relatives keeps sending me conspiracy theories, I refer her to Snopes (urban myth buster) but now she takes no notice and thinks that they are part of the conspiracy. Last time it was ALWAYS switch your mobile off before entering a petrol station in case someone phones you and it goes up in a fireball.....please, please, please don't tell me it might.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:39 am

Idiocy like this is why I'm fairly sure the human race will one day be ruled by dolphins.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby madprof » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:09 am

Sgurr wrote:Last time it was ALWAYS switch your mobile off before entering a petrol station in case someone phones you and it goes up in a fireball.....please, please, please don't tell me it might.

If there was any risk of petrol stations exploding from mobile phone usage then it's a fair bet we'd have already seen it given the tens of thousands of times every day that people drive into petrol stations with phones turned on.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:10 am

jupe1407 wrote:Idiocy like this is why I'm fairly sure the human race will one day be ruled by dolphins.

Well the Simpsons has predicted most things...
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:46 am

A hospital porter earnestly informed me that this was a deliberate release of a biological weapon; someone in the army had told him. This is patently bollox. In the military we are taught how a deliberate biological attack would happen, and this does not fit. An agent (virus) would be released in major cities, governments and military installations simultaneously on a predetermined date, not spreading over months from one point. And it would be more deadly. Spreading panicky nonsense does a lot of harm. Stay safe and stay at home please. I'm off to make a tinfoil helmet, just in case...

Tinfoil helmet.jpg
This is not me. Or is it....?
Last edited by Caberfeidh on Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby CharlesT » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:48 am

jupe1407 wrote:Idiocy like this is why I'm fairly sure the human race will one day be ruled by dolphins.

You mean to say it hasn't been already?

so long and thanks for all the fish"
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262

Postby al78 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:11 am

Sgurr wrote:One of my relatives keeps sending me conspiracy theories, I refer her to Snopes (urban myth buster) but now she takes no notice and thinks that they are part of the conspiracy. Last time it was ALWAYS switch your mobile off before entering a petrol station in case someone phones you and it goes up in a fireball.....please, please, please don't tell me it might.

There are facts combined with evidence, and there is what certain people want to believe.

It is emotion over logic, which has a place when it comes to moral issues, but otherwise leads to stupid, or, at worst, careless/dangerous decision making.

https://www.livescience.com/63658-why-people-believe-conspiracy-theories.html
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2015/12/3/9844480/why-people-believe-bullshit-science

Unfortunately we live in a world where people think they can invent a warm fluffy version of the truth, and any attempt to challenge is to either suppress opposing views, and/or is a violation on free speech (they don't know what free speech means, or depiberately interpret it to mean something that it doesn't, again, warm and fluffy trumps logic).

Ultimately, denying or ignoring the truth doesn't change the truth, no matter how much anyone wants it too.

Karl Pilkington has the right idea:
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby PeteR » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:43 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe it already is and they're just toying with us....... I'm not sure CV-19 will do for the human race...... it'll be the many and various types of stupid we've become. I've never needed the hills more.....to escape :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Coop » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:08 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:A hospital porter earnestly informed me that this was a deliberate release of a biological weapon; someone in the army had told him. This is patently bollox. In the military we are taught how a deliberate biological attack would happen, and this does not fit. An agent (virus) would be released in major cities, governments and military installations simultaneously on a predetermined date, not spreading over months from one point. And it would be more deadly. Spreading panicky nonsense does a lot of harm. Stay safe and stay at home please. I'm off to make a tinfoil helmet, just in case...

Tinfoil helmet.jpg

Just make sure you wear a colander under you tinfoil helmet- just in case, and to be doubly safe
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby DavidShepherd » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:26 pm

These conspiracy theories were always here. They are just more prevalent now (see Flat Earthers) because of social media.
It's all too easy to spread disinformation on a platform that is not interested in governing it's content (yes i mean facebook)
WhatsApp have just recently started to stop the spread of disinformation about COVID19 but it won't ever stop.
The people that spread it don't care to go and look for the evidence. And the people that truly believe in it can never provide the evidence when it's asked for.
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:06 pm

The problem is,you can't argue with stupid folks unless you want to look stupid yourself
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion