walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

The Rough Bounds Conundrum

The Rough Bounds Conundrum

Postby jupe1407 » Fri May 08, 2020 10:31 am

As i'm sure everyone else is doing during lockdown I'm planing future trips to knock off my remaining munros. The most awkward group I have left are the Rough Bounds trio as well as Sgurr Mor and Gairich. The "standard" route looks like a boggy hell on the way in and doing all five in a single trip looks challenging to say the least.

Does anyone know of a boat (similar to the Mullardoch boatman chap) who could either:

1. Land at the Western end of Loch Quoich, or
2. Somewhere near Sourlies from Loch Nevis?

My plan is to leave a car at the Quoich Dam and do a linear walk from Ciche to Gairich and returning down the standard route into Gairich.

I've considered other options such as bothying at Kinbreac and cycling in from Poulary to Glen Kingie and doing them all over a weekend.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: The Rough Bounds Conundrum

Postby jmarkb » Fri May 08, 2020 11:07 am

I think you could get the Knoydart Ferry folk http://www.knoydartferry.com/charter/ to drop you off at Sourlies/Camusrory though I did once check this out and it was quite expensive unless you had a reasonable sized group to split the cost.

I have done Sgurr Mor - Sgurr na Ciche and also Sgurr nan Fhuaran - Sgurr Mor - Sgurr Cos na Bhreacd-laoidh as day trips from the head of Loch Arkaig, - I don't recall too much excessive bogginess, but it's a long time ago!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Mal Grey » Fri May 08, 2020 11:24 am

The only boat access I can think of is either a little west of the dam, or a mile west of the bridge across the northern arm of Quoich. This side of the loch is on the Wester Glenquoich Estate, so I guess they might be worth hunting down and asking, but sticking that into google has got me nowhere other than a holding address in Blair Atholl; http://www.whoownsscotland.org.uk/property.php?p=1474

Problem is that nobody lives around the loch and I can't remember seeing any boats stashed, so any boat is likely to have to be transported in for you on a trailer (prob from somewhere down towards Loch Garry, and I'm betting that's going to be costly. Might be worth a bit of time searching though. Or hopefully, somebody else is better informed than me!

Your approach is logical, but you might be stuck with hitching up the road from the dam to start, crossing the rough ground round the loch (improves after Glen Cosaidh I think as the old road is above water there!!!) and then up.

I want to camp at Lochan nam Breac before I die, so my own approach would involve overnighting there, and a slow exploration over a few days. Annoyingly, the only one I've done is the one in the middle S n C (thanks to conditions for the western end, and dodgy knee on Gairich). So, I'd be doing the west end separately (maybe by canoe), then possibly S Mor etc from Kinbreak on another occasion.

You won't avoid bogs on any route! :lol: Those from Gairich to the dam are pretty infamous too...
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby al78 » Fri May 08, 2020 11:27 am

Why try to do them all in one trip? An area as spectacular as Knoydart is excellent for savouring and exploring over multiple backpacking days.

If I wanted to do these munros (and I do) my plan would be to get a train to Glenfinnan, walk from Glenfinnan to Kinbreack bothy. Next day, Gairich, Sgur Mor,Sgurr nan Coireachan, Sgurr na Ciche, Sourlies bothy. Next day, Meall Buidhe, Luinne Bheinn, Inverie. Next day, Ladhar Bheinn, Inverie, followed by home via Mallaig ferry and train. If you choose your time carefully and pick an off peak bothy demand period, you won't need to lug a tent around.

If you are happy to carry a tent you could stay at Barrisdale instead of Inverie and climb Ladhar Bheinn by the Druim a Choire Odhair circuit, which I understand is the most interesting way to climb it.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby ChrisButch » Fri May 08, 2020 12:49 pm

There's a Knoydart-based boat which regularly drops off hillwalkers anywhere up Loch Nevis - for a price. (Iain wilson, the owner, also farms at Invergusersain and produces superb organic lamb and mutton!)
https://www.visitknoydart.co.uk/activitieshttps://www.visitknoydart.co.uk/activities
This is a small boat, not the regular ferry already mentioned.
ChrisButch

Postby jupe1407 » Fri May 08, 2020 1:41 pm

Excellent info there folks, I'll check out Iain Wilson's boat once all this is over.

To clarify, I was only meaning the Rough Bounds - not the actual 3 Knoydart munros themselves. Those are being saved for nearer the end - if that ever comes!
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby Mal Grey » Fri May 08, 2020 7:55 pm

jupe1407 wrote:Excellent info there folks, I'll check out Iain Wilson's boat once all this is over.

To clarify, I was only meaning the Rough Bounds - not the actual 3 Knoydart munros themselves. Those are being saved for nearer the end - if that ever comes!

Well, technically the 'Rough Bounds' covers the whole region...but I got what you meant.

Iain Wilson's boat sounds like a good idea. Though given you'd expect to get that from Inverie/Mallaig, you may find your car is a long way from where you need it! I do think splitting the two groups would allow you to savour it more.

Wonderful country. I've been to various bits of it on about 6 occasions, both canoeing and walking, and it remains one of the best. The weather has always been interesting. I'm saving Ladhar Bheinn for a good day, I think it deserves it.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby jupe1407 » Sat May 09, 2020 12:10 am

Mal Grey wrote:
jupe1407 wrote:Excellent info there folks, I'll check out Iain Wilson's boat once all this is over.

Well, technically the 'Rough Bounds' covers the whole region...but I got what you meant.

Iain Wilson's boat sounds like a good idea. Though given you'd expect to get that from Inverie/Mallaig, you may find your car is a long way from where you need it! I do think splitting the two groups would allow you to savour it more.

Wonderful country. I've been to various bits of it on about 6 occasions, both canoeing and walking, and it remains one of the best. The weather has always been interesting. I'm saving Ladhar Bheinn for a good day, I think it deserves it.

Ladhar Bheinn seems a good candidate for a compleation for me, in about 2 or 3 years time :lol:

I may yet split the group. I still quite fancy staying at Kinbreac, the isolation there must be something else. I saw a report somewhere (possibly here) from someone who had MTB'd in from Poulary through the now felled forest to Glen Kingie. Getting to Kinbreac from there and doing Sgurr Mor and Gairich over a weekend could be another option.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby lochlaggan » Sat May 09, 2020 9:22 am

'MTB'd in from Poulary through the now felled forest to Glen Kingie'

I did this a few years ago to climb Sgurr an Fhuarain and it's a great cycle but dry conditions would be best. In and out in the same day was about 7 hours for me.

It's always fun to seek out different approaches to get to wild areas and this route offers very different views into less visited places.

Have fun exploring.
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby jupe1407 » Sun May 10, 2020 12:21 am

lochlaggan wrote:'MTB'd in from Poulary through the now felled forest to Glen Kingie'

I did this a few years ago to climb Sgurr an Fhuarain and it's a great cycle but dry conditions would be best. In and out in the same day was about 7 hours for me.

It's always fun to seek out different approaches to get to wild areas and this route offers very different views into less visited places.

Have fun exploring.

Thanks, I knew I'd seen this posted before. It looks as though it's cyclable to the edge of the forest in Glen Kingie (if dry).
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby St Pedro » Mon May 11, 2020 3:15 pm

lots of weekend options in this area

We did 5 corbetts + Munro (I returned later for Sgurr Mhurlagain, but pal did the 6 corbetts) from Strathan, Loch Arkaig.

arrived tea time on Friday night, walked into kinbreak bothy over Fraoch Bheinn (Jamie also included SM).
This is a superb bothy, fire and sleeping area upstairs.

Saturday - crossed river Kingie and onto East ridge of Sgurr an Fhurain onto Sgurr Mor onto An Eag, then South to bealach and ascended Sgurr Cos na Breachd-Laoidh. Then descended SE/S to upper Glendessary lodge and over to A'Chuil bothy for overnight. Can be busy but couple decent sized rooms.

Sunday - forest track to end NE ridge of Bidein a'Chabair and rocky ridge ascent, descended E/SE to foot of Allt Ruighe nan Dearcag and rocky rib nearly direct to summit Carn Mor, descended Meall nan Spardan and returned to bothy to pick up gear and walked out to car and late home.

Did Munros over 3 trips
1) Strathan, Glen dessary approach to Sgurr na ciche then W-E traverse (reverse of WH route)
2) Strathan over bealach to stalkers path and W-E ascent of Sgurr Mor (as per WH route but mistake of missing out corbett at time hence the corbett weekend detailed above, introducing us to joys of Kinbreak bothy)
3) Quoich dam to Gairich and return

Using that experience to get the 5 munros mentioned,
simplify transport as just need to leave car at Strathan.
one adventure could be,

friday night arrival to A Chuil - good forest tracks so navigation simple even later at night

Saturday walk up glen Dessarry to head glen and take rocky ravine/gully to Feadan na Ciche and onto Sgurr na Ciche and then ridge traverse over other 2 munros (W-E, prevailing weather at your back) and from Sgurr nan Coireachan descend to An Eag, depending on how feeling - from 662m bealach either descend decent stalkers zig-zags into Glen Kingie and head for Kinbreak for overnight. Or if still feeling strong ascend Sgurr Mor and along ridge to Sgurr an Fhuarain descent East ridge and to Kinbreak. Ridge is easy walking so could be better going than in Glen Kingie but more ascending with overnight pack?.

depending on Saturdays outcome,
either simple up and down Gairich from Kinbreak via SW
or more liklely combine Gairich with Sgurr an Fhurain + Sgurr Mor,

and if enjoy bothying could have 2nd night in quality Kinbreak to savour you exploits over the long weekend and leisurely breakfast walk out over boggy bealach to car, if you are a glutton for punishment could add 1/2 corbetts on way back.

Another thought
Day1 - arrive early do 3 Sgurr na Ciche munros W-E descent South to AChuil bothy
Day 2 - up SW ridge Corbett Sgurr Cos na Breachd-laoidh descend NNW to an Eag then ridge traverse East to finish at Kinbreak.

So many possibilities and plenty food for thoughts, I'm sure you'll savour the area whatever and the planning is often just as enjoyable.

Luckily I've another pal who has still to do 5 of the 6 corbetts in this area (he's only done Sgurr Mhurlagain with me)

so I'm planning something similar as an excuse to enjoy another visit to Kinbreak myself.

Ladhar Bheinn as your final munro would be a superb finale, we took a boat in from Arnisdale and camped outside Barrisdale bothy (even has a toilet). Means could bring in plenty of "niceties" to celebrate compleation in style.

In the words of John Muir " Do something for wildness and make the Mountains glad"
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:73   Donalds:89+50
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   Islands:36

Postby Veryhappybunny » Tue May 12, 2020 10:22 am

If you have a large group and deep pockets you can rent Glen Dessary Lodge which is well located and a lovely base. A group of us did this back in 2008 but last time I checked it had got much more expensive than when we stayed. I'd love to go back to visit the Corbetts there but it is just too much.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:159
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion