walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Magnetic north

Magnetic north

Postby mynthdd2 » Sat May 16, 2020 6:37 pm

Lets return to planning our map reading skills for when hill Tim comes around again...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-52553900/the-north-magnetic-pole-s-great-wander
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Re: Magnetic north

Postby mynthdd2 » Sat May 16, 2020 6:40 pm

"Hill Tim"!!!!!!!!????? what is that a computer should change what I am trying to say!!!??? that would be Hill Time actually
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Postby CharlesT » Sat May 16, 2020 7:06 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:"Hill Tim"!!!!!!!!????? what is that a computer should change what I am trying to say!!!??? that would be Hill Time actually

And I thought you were referring to HMHT aka Tim. (never can get Monty Python and the Holy Grail out of my mind whenever I see or hear that name :roll: )
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Coop » Sat May 16, 2020 7:21 pm

Hehe takes me back, used to be a thing for instructors to deduct you the odd point or 2 if you never took into account the variation when taking /plotting a bearing
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby mynthdd2 » Sat May 16, 2020 9:43 pm

bear in mind how much off course a half degree might take you !! (as it did me on my ML training.... :shock: )
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Postby Tringa » Sun May 17, 2020 8:12 am

The adjusting for the difference between grid and mag used to be standard procedure but now in some parts of the UK the difference is so small it can be ignored.

Perhaps now the procedure will be find the magnetic variation before you set out and decide if it is worth bothering with.

Dave
Tringa

Postby ChrisButch » Sun May 17, 2020 8:35 am

Tringa wrote:The adjusting for the difference between grid and mag used to be standard procedure but now in some parts of the UK the difference is so small it can be ignored.

Perhaps now the procedure will be find the magnetic variation before you set out and decide if it is worth bothering with.

Dave

A couple of months ago I did some very careful tests on this from the back of my house with precisely identifiable skyline high points. Try as I might, I could find zero distinction between grid and mag.
There are now websites (eg https://www.magnetic-declination.com/) which give you instantly the declination for any location, but of course this is declination from true not from grid. The OS is rather anachronistic in that its maps don't show the relationship between the OS grid and the UTM grid, whereas all other countries' topographical maps which I'm aware of show the UTM grid numbers as a matter of course.
ChrisButch

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun May 17, 2020 9:22 am

CharlesT wrote:
mynthdd2 wrote:"Hill Tim"!!!!!!!!????? what is that a computer should change what I am trying to say!!!??? that would be Hill Time actually

And I thought you were referring to HMHT aka Tim. (never can get Monty Python and the Holy Grail out of my mind whenever I see or hear that name :roll: )

Indeed. I can rarely go a day in the hills without a Monty Python quote. Did you all know that the Coe starred as the Gorge of Eternal Peril in Monty Python and the Holy Grail? When the knights fail to answer the old man's questions three and are cast into the Gorge of Eternal Peril, it was Hamish MacInness throwing dummies into the air and down into the gorge of the Coe. Passing motorists on the A82 must have been puzzled to see the leader of the Glen Coe Mountain Rescue Team apparently being a bit slap-dash in his handling of casualties... :shock:

Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby jmarkb » Sun May 17, 2020 9:24 am

mynthdd2 wrote:bear in mind how much off course a half degree might take you !! (as it did me on my ML training.... :shock: )

Must have been unusual circumstances? A half degree error puts you about 9 metres out per kilometre walked. The errors involved in actually following it on the ground are likely to be much bigger - https://originaloutdoors.co.uk/blog/which-is-more-accurate-mils-or-degrees/ suggest that the "accuracy of a human-plotted bearing using a handheld orienteering compass is 1-2 Degrees AT BEST."
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby gaffr » Sun May 17, 2020 7:25 pm

Hello... A wee tweek seems to do the job.
When I first began using Silva compasses in school the tweek was much more significant....around 12 degrees if I recall correctly.:-)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion