walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

MRT callout

MRT callout

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun May 24, 2020 9:29 pm

https://www.facebook.com/116932798502569/posts/1337303556465481/

Lost in the mist on The Cobbler,why were they there in the first place
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: MRT callout

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun May 24, 2020 9:44 pm

Well done to Arrochar MRT.

Hopefully these numpties dont get everyone tarred with the same brush because the way things are going the pubs and nightclubs will be open before it is seen as acceptable to be back on the hills. :(
Sunset tripper

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sun May 24, 2020 9:47 pm

To be fair, I'd pay a small fine to get out of Motherwell for the day.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun May 24, 2020 9:56 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:To be fair, I'd pay a small fine to get out of Motherwell for the day.

Another option - take up golf. :shock:
Sunset tripper

Postby Csm8 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:13 pm

Jeez, I mean if your going to go out - especially at this time (well, anytime!) you’d think you would make sure your capable of basic hill skills.
Csm8
Munro compleatist

Munros:71   Corbetts:42
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:13

Postby Fiona Reid » Sun May 24, 2020 10:35 pm

Csm8 wrote:Jeez, I mean if your going to go out - especially at this time (well, anytime!) you’d think you would make sure your capable of basic hill skills.

Indeed... but The Cobbler, Ben Lomond and Ben Nevis normally attract numpties and once folks can travel (these folks clearly shouldn't have travelled...and it's deservedly cost them a fair amount in fines etc) the same numpties will be there.

You can't prevent numpties being numpties.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby al78 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:58 pm

Csm8 wrote:Jeez, I mean if your going to go out - especially at this time (well, anytime!) you’d think you would make sure your capable of basic hill skills.

I wonder if there is a complaceny that the UK does not have extremes (e.g. weather or mountains), therefore doing any activity in the UK can't be dangerous.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Csm8 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:16 am

al78 wrote:

I wonder if there is a complaceny that the UK does not have extremes (e.g. weather or mountains), therefore doing any activity in the UK can't be dangerous.

That could be a part of it for sure...a bit like “avalanches don’t happen in Britain!”. Could also be partly due to a large increase in popularity for the hills over the last few years increases the likelihood of people getting into trouble. Or even this lock down has given people plenty time to reflect and take up new hobbies.

Have to say though that I wouldn’t judge anyone or speculate as to what their circumstances were. At the end of the day it could just of been a mistake. I once had my map blown away in the middle of the Fanniachs in thick clag :shock:
Csm8
Munro compleatist

Munros:71   Corbetts:42
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:13

Postby al78 » Mon May 25, 2020 11:06 am

Csm8 wrote:
al78 wrote:

That could be a part of it for sure...a bit like “avalanches don’t happen in Britain!”. Could also be partly due to a large increase in popularity for the hills over the last few years increases the likelihood of people getting into trouble. Or even this lock down has given people plenty time to reflect and take up new hobbies.

Have to say though that I wouldn’t judge anyone or speculate as to what their circumstances were. At the end of the day it could just of been a mistake. I once had my map blown away in the middle of the Fanniachs in thick clag :shock:

I don't think it helps to label paths as "tourist routes" as that implies it is easy and can lead to complacency (e.g. Ben Nevis).
al78
Walker

Postby IainG » Mon May 25, 2020 12:08 pm

I don't quite get exactly what risk these folk were presenting?

Changed days indeed, when a MRT, backed by the twee society out there, resorts to publicly shaming folk.
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby al78 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:49 pm

IainG wrote:I don't quite get exactly what risk these folk were presenting?

Changed days indeed, when a MRT, backed by the twee society out there, resorts to publicly shaming folk.

In those days we didn't have a global pandemic resulting in people being explicitly told not to do things like hiking up mountains, which puts them at risk of needing a callout, and puts the MRT at risk having to go out and rescue them. I guess people get p****d off by the rules-don't-apply-to-me brigade, who then expect others to bail them out when their rule breaking backfires on them.
al78
Walker

Postby Glengavel » Mon May 25, 2020 1:07 pm

Arrochar MRT haven't named names or shown pictures of faces, so I can't see how they've been publicly shamed. And it wasn't as if they were forcibly rescued - I'm assuming they got lost and called for help?
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby Josaff » Mon May 25, 2020 1:34 pm

well said mate! They may not have been publicly named but if they were i'm sure many on these forums would take great pleasure in posting those names around from their lofty self righteous perches. Folk are starting to get really fed up now especially i would imagine city dwellers when they are hit with stupid pointless "5 mile rules"
Josaff

Munros:282   Corbetts:49
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:165   

Postby IainG » Mon May 25, 2020 1:40 pm

al78 wrote:

In those days we didn't have a global pandemic resulting in people being explicitly told not to do things like hiking up mountains, which puts them at risk of needing a callout, and puts the MRT at risk having to go out and rescue them. I guess people get p****d off by the rules-don't-apply-to-me brigade, who then expect others to bail them out when their rule breaking backfires on them.

If you read the history of mountain rescue from it's original formations, teams headed out no matter the risk, and no matter what reasons were behind a person finding themselves in need of help.

Seems today that there is a complete lack of understanding of risk, with take 'no risk' being the now default position.

I'll bet this group needing help were only one of hundreds out on the hills. Next week will be pandemonium out there.
IainG
Munro compleatist

Postby IainG » Mon May 25, 2020 1:45 pm

Josaff wrote:

well said mate! They may not have been publicly named but if they were i'm sure many on these forums would take great pleasure in posting those names around from their lofty self righteous perches. Folk are starting to get really fed up now especially i would imagine city dwellers when they are hit with stupid pointless "5 mile rules"

I completely agree. It's alright for folk with mountains on their doorstep, or who live in the country, or who even have a garden. Many folk have none of this and this lockdown must be an absolute nightmare for hill loving city dwellers.

The 5 mile rule, qualified as usual with 'I think', only applies to local activities. From what I can work out, it's a bit more liberal for visiting family etc. It's the usual patronising vagueness forced upon us, I'm afraid.

By the way, I should say, I'm abiding with the rules and fortunately I have good walking on my doorstep.
IainG
Munro compleatist

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion