walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

5 mile "advice"

5 mile "advice"

Postby jaffa61 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:17 am

With a risk at being shot down in flames here, can I highlight the following.
I watched the Update live on Thursday 21st May where Nicola stated the stages out of lockdown. She was asked if the 5 mile local rule was rigid and she said no it is not. It is advice. She said the 5 mile advice was to stop "crowds gathering at beauty spots as was seen in beaches in England and at Portobello" They also said that they don't want people going 3 hr journey to visit then having to use the bathroom there,Also the question was asked if Police will be stopping cars to see where they are going.The Police spokesman said definitely not.
I feel the media especially the BBC has this advice muddled.
The Scottish Government said they want us to use our own judgment as to what is safe.
They don't want 1000s going to Callander or Luss for they day.
Nothing was mentioned about the hills or remote countryside.
jaffa61
Mountain Walker

Munros:202   Corbetts:36
Fionas:41   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:11   Islands:7

Re: 5 mile "advice"

Postby Tringa » Mon May 25, 2020 7:14 am

I think quite a bit of the 'advice' given has been lacking precision.

Why the administrations in the regions of UK couldn't have said, "You can drive up to 10 miles to take exercise"

I know some might claim they were miles from home because they were going to help an elderly relative but a difficult claim to make if you are parked in a beauty spot.

Dave
Tringa

Postby jamiecopeland » Mon May 25, 2020 8:26 am

jaffa61 wrote:With a risk at being shot down in flames here, can I highlight the following.
I watched the Update live on Thursday 21st May where Nicola stated the stages out of lockdown. She was asked if the 5 mile local rule was rigid and she said no it is not. It is advice. She said the 5 mile advice was to stop "crowds gathering at beauty spots as was seen in beaches in England and at Portobello" They also said that they don't want people going 3 hr journey to visit then having to use the bathroom there,Also the question was asked if Police will be stopping cars to see where they are going.The Police spokesman said definitely not.
I feel the media especially the BBC has this advice muddled.
The Scottish Government said they want us to use our own judgment as to what is safe.
They don't want 1000s going to Callander or Luss for they day.
Nothing was mentioned about the hills or remote countryside.

The advice clearly states that we should participate in such activities ‘locally’. If I were to ask you which shops you consider local, consider that distance as your new playground.

Travelling miles and miles to go hill walking is still not an option. For the sake of a few more months let’s not be selfish and put MRT at unnecessary risk.

The hills will still be there next year!
jamiecopeland

Postby gman » Mon May 25, 2020 9:40 am

jamiecopeland wrote:
The advice clearly states that we should participate in such activities ‘locally’. If I were to ask you which shops you consider local, consider that distance as your new playground.

I think this thread is about the new regs and advice planned for later this week when you'll be able to drive '5 miles' from your local community for exercise. As noted above the 5 mile limit is not strict.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby jaffa61 » Mon May 25, 2020 10:38 am

I would suggest that to understand the post you would have to have seen the live q and a session. Nicola said she can’t legislate for everything in the document. She said to use our common sense. The mountain rescue issue is another issue. I would side with them. But remember that the teams and mountaineer Scotland submitted proposals to government for a return safely. Also I would not think people going over 5 miles to a river would be frowned upon. The document was a framework. I just think the media have it wrong. So really you need to see the q and a session before concluding.
jaffa61
Mountain Walker

Postby al78 » Mon May 25, 2020 11:10 am

jamiecopeland wrote:
jaffa61 wrote:The hills will still be there next year!

The weather won't be this fantastic for this long though. I do agree with your point.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Backpacker » Mon May 25, 2020 11:41 am

All I can suggest is that if you don't want to be a social media discussion, is be self reliant. Get all your grub from your local shop (or wherever you've been shopping during lock down), make sure your fuel tank is full and you don't have to refuel on the way there or back, take an emergency shelter in case you do end up benighted, don't do anything outwith your comfort zone/physical capabilities, have a plan B, C, D & E in case there's no access/parking to your chosen hill and only phone mountain rescue if it's a matter of life and death/ physically can't get yourself off the hill and be prepared for many miles of road walking if it comes to it.

I'm planning all of the above for the local hills around me that I've walked many, many times before
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby jamiecopeland » Mon May 25, 2020 1:56 pm

gman wrote:
jamiecopeland wrote:

I think this thread is about the new regs and advice planned for later this week when you'll be able to drive '5 miles' from your local community for exercise. As noted above the 5 mile limit is not strict.

The five mile limit is in one of the Annex’s and has already been dismissed by Nicola Sturgeon. If you read the full document there is no mention of a five mile limit. Instead we are told to only travel locally.
jamiecopeland

Postby tony.cee » Mon May 25, 2020 3:12 pm

Backpacker wrote:All I can suggest is that if you don't want to be a social media discussion, is be self reliant. Get all your grub from your local shop (or wherever you've been shopping during lock down), make sure your fuel tank is full and you don't have to refuel on the way there or back, take an emergency shelter in case you do end up benighted, don't do anything outwith your comfort zone/physical capabilities, have a plan B, C, D & E in case there's no access/parking to your chosen hill and only phone mountain rescue if it's a matter of life and death/ physically can't get yourself off the hill and be prepared for many miles of road walking if it comes to it.

I'm planning all of the above for the local hills around me that I've walked many, many times before

This is the approach I am taking when I head for the hills, long before Nicola increases the distance permitted to 7.3miles or any other equally vague nonsense number. I will carry enough calories to sustain life for days and head only when the weather is glorious. If I do find myself staring death in the face then it will be gods will and my own “stupidity” for allowing myself to become an enemy of the state by breaking the advice (not laws). I will absolutely not be contacting MRT for help so to give them Facebook fodder and the public something to gnarl at. The virus is here to stay
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Munros:99   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   

Postby Marty_JG » Mon May 25, 2020 3:26 pm

tony.cee wrote:I will carry enough calories to sustain life for days

Your body has enough calories to keep you going long after dehydration becomes your primary concern.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby davekeiller » Mon May 25, 2020 4:51 pm

You should use a bit of common sense about how far you go - 6 miles would be fine, 50 miles is taking the proverbial.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby denfinella » Mon May 25, 2020 9:26 pm

I agree with Dave above.

The government's route map published last week referred to traveling / driving "broadly 5 miles", if you couldn't walk or cycle there.

Seems pretty clear to me that "broadly 5 miles" means that 6 or 7 miles would be fine if there was a particular reason it was better to go the extra mile. But 20 miles clearly isn't "broadly 5 miles".
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Essan » Tue May 26, 2020 4:22 pm

5 miles is a suggestion as to what local may mean to most people. But it's not a hard and fast rule.

On the other hand, 50 miles probably isn't local under any definition.

Use common sense. And do what is necessary as opposed to what you want.

Also remember of course that it is currently still unlawful to stay anywhere other than your primary place of residence (with common sense exceptions, of course). So no overnight wild camping trip, even if you live in Kinlochewe. And all bothies, for example, are likely to remain officially closed to the public for a long while yet.
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby jaffa61 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:44 pm

This from Mountaineering Scotland website.
It describes what I was trying to say in my original post. (in bold)

"Of particular relevance to Mountaineering Scotland members is that everyone would be permitted to travel short distances for outdoor leisure and exercise – although the advice is to stay within a short distance of your local community (broadly within 5 miles) and to travel on foot or cycle where possible. As reported today there is also a suggestion from Government that there is some flexibility in the guidance with the aim of avoiding people congregating at tourist hotspots. We are seeking further clarification on this advice and what is acceptable in terms of travel at Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the route map. "
jaffa61
Mountain Walker

Postby DizzyVizion » Thu May 28, 2020 1:09 pm

Scandinavian miles? :wink:
DizzyVizion
Stravaiging

Munros:28   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion