walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

5 mile "advice"

Re: 5 mile "advice"

Postby zzigurat » Thu May 28, 2020 1:42 pm

The key word from the government today was 'preferably' within a 5 mile radius.
Well, I've extended this a little and will be doing Creise & Meall aBhuiridh, via Barnard Castle of course.
zzigurat
Mountaineer

Munros:58   

Postby mynthdd2 » Thu May 28, 2020 2:06 pm

hope your eyesight is better than Cummings excuses....
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby KatTai » Thu May 28, 2020 2:10 pm

I've already walked over 5 miles away from home, didn't know we weren't supposed to go that far, so the 5 mile 'guideline' actually feels like an added restriction rather than giving any more freedom. Apart from I can now drive to the places I've walked to :roll:
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby Msp1987 » Thu May 28, 2020 3:32 pm

This 5 mile rule is a piece of nonsense imo. Hillwalking is one of the easiest activities to socialy distance in. What harm is there in driving to a hill in a car, walking up the hill and driving home? Make sure the car has a full tank and take all the food supplies you need. Obviously some hills will be busier than others with this weather but there is plenty of places to go that are rarely busy.
Msp1987
Rambler

Munros:205   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Islands:11

Postby Silver Bear » Thu May 28, 2020 3:39 pm

Hearing Tinto is hoaching today
Might be people from Lanark right enough , but I doubt it
People have had enough of being locked down
Good on them for getting out and about
Silver Bear

Postby mproudfoot » Thu May 28, 2020 3:51 pm

Msp1987 wrote:This 5 mile rule is a piece of nonsense imo. Hillwalking is one of the easiest activities to socialy distance in. What harm is there in driving to a hill in a car, walking up the hill and driving home? Make sure the car has a full tank and take all the food supplies you need. Obviously some hills will be busier than others with this weather but there is plenty of places to go that are rarely busy.
Pretty much this - my closest corbetts/munros are the Arrochar alps, barely a 15-min drive away. However, I would not consider driving to, and parking in,Arrochar at this stage. Instead I'd be inclined to drive a little further afield where I can park in a lay-by outside of any towns or villages and not on anyone's private property, go up a hill, come down, drive home again. Common sense really. Unfortunately, a significant minority cannot apply common sense and so limits are set.

That said, I imagine places like the Trossachs, Ben Lomond, Luss and Balloch are going to be heaving tomorrow regardless.
mproudfoot
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:203
Fionas:22   Donalds:28+11
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:10

Postby thedonalds » Thu May 28, 2020 4:15 pm

The BBC quotes the first minister as saying that from tomorrow (Friday 28th) travel, preferably by walking or cycling, for recreation nearby where you live, but avoid public transport and the ‘strong advice’ is not to travel more than five miles for recreation and leisure. For myself, 5-miles doesn't even get me out of Edinburgh. For those living in the more affluent suburbs the proposed 5-mile limit gives them much greater personal freedom than those in the city centres (but lets park that social argument for now). For me, I am planning to count my 5-mile limit from the city boundary and that way we are at least all equal.......
thedonalds
Walker

Munros:22   Corbetts:7
Fionas:22   Donalds:87+48
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:26

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu May 28, 2020 4:29 pm

My primary place of residence is Caberfeidh Towers, an eldritch ruined castle surrounded by a flock of evil messenger ravens on the banks of the Kelvin near the Botanic Gardens and the fleshpots of Byres Road in Glasgow's trendy bohemian west end. But my highland estates lie on the Isle of Skye, and will be getting over grown with bracken and brambles right now. I wonder, if I claimed that I needed to test my failing eyesight by driving from Glasgow to Skye, would I be allowed?

withnail#r.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu May 28, 2020 4:43 pm

Msp1987 wrote:This 5 mile rule is a piece of nonsense imo. Hillwalking is one of the easiest activities to socialy distance in. What harm is there in driving to a hill in a car, walking up the hill and driving home? Make sure the car has a full tank and take all the food supplies you need. Obviously some hills will be busier than others with this weather but there is plenty of places to go that are rarely busy.

It's not so much the danger on the hill for me. I witnessed a head-on collision on the A9 in January and there was a helicopter, two fire engines, six police cars and probably about 30 civilians on or around the scene during the two hours I was there hanging around to give a statement. Folk from all over the country (judging by accents and reg plates) at once not social distancing just seems like bad news at the moment. Not really an unusual occurrence for the A9 either. Whilst there'll be car crashes either way I don't think it's a good idea to just suddenly encourage people to go from sitting about to driving 3 hours each way to get to the Highlands on what can be horrendous roads.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Gareth Harper » Thu May 28, 2020 6:37 pm

Best to try and keep within the current guidance. Its too warm for hill walking right now anyway. So just relax and have a few more beers. Why not take the opportunity to try the new beer from Brewdog;

Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Csm8 » Thu May 28, 2020 6:48 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:Best to try and keep within the current guidance. Its too warm for hill walking right now anyway. So just relax and have a few more beers. Why not take the opportunity to try the new beer from Brewdog;

If you say so :D

It’s a shame you can’t get electric India anymore, that was their best!
Attachments
897F9B16-A0FE-4E42-879A-C090F5281C68.jpeg
Csm8
Munro compleatist

Munros:71   Corbetts:42
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:13

Postby kenncunn » Thu May 28, 2020 7:00 pm

Preferably within a 5 mile radius although use common sense and don't go to places that are busy and it won't be enforced by law. Back to the hills I go :D
kenncunn
Mountaineer

Postby jaffa61 » Thu May 28, 2020 7:07 pm

Watching the FM statements and q and a session today, I do not know how anybody can think the 5 miles or local relates to sports.She clearly says that it is to stop crowding at tourist places.That is for LEISURE.. Like parks,towns,beaches,Loch Lomond SIDE. Its okay to travel further for golf,fishing or whatever, as long as its not crowded.
So can we stop this nonsense and concentrate on what the Rescue teams want.They did say on this very site on homepage they are ready to go, although that had the 5 mile muddle quoted. And as my last post says, Mountaineering Scotland want clarity as they say the FM message is confusing.
So watch all of todays announcement.
jaffa61
Mountain Walker

Munros:202   Corbetts:36
Fionas:41   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:11   Islands:7

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu May 28, 2020 7:52 pm

jaffa61 wrote:Watching the FM statements and q and a session today, I do not know how anybody can think the 5 miles or local relates to sports.She clearly says that it is to stop crowding at tourist places.That is for LEISURE.. Like parks,towns,beaches,Loch Lomond SIDE. Its okay to travel further for golf,fishing or whatever, as long as its not crowded.
So can we stop this nonsense and concentrate on what the Rescue teams want.They did say on this very site on homepage they are ready to go, although that had the 5 mile muddle quoted. And as my last post says, Mountaineering Scotland want clarity as they say the FM message is confusing.

Come off it! Hillwalking is leisure, not sport.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby allyboy1976 » Thu May 28, 2020 8:34 pm

iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:
jaffa61 wrote:Watching the FM statements and q and a session today, I do not know how anybody can think the 5 miles or local relates to sports.She clearly says that it is to stop crowding at tourist places.That is for LEISURE.. Like parks,towns,beaches,Loch Lomond SIDE. Its okay to travel further for golf,fishing or whatever, as long as its not crowded.

Come off it! Hillwalking is leisure, not sport.

Here is the definition of sport and leisure
The dictionary defines sport as "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess". ..
The dictionary defines leisure as "freedom from the demands of work or duty"
So what does hill walking sound more like ?
Case closed your honour ! 😁
allyboy1976
Hill Bagger

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion