walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

New Coronavirus Law

Re: New Coronavirus Law

Postby wee black dug » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:44 pm

Marty_JG wrote:Remember it takes at least 15 minutes of continued, close, face-to-face contact, to catch this virus. Strolling-by someone is not enough.

Really? What's the source for that?

Genuinely interested, btw.
wee black dug

Munros:212   

Postby Gareth Harper » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:46 pm

An excellent post here that covers the implications of the Crianlarich Two being charged. I agree 100%. I am just suprised that outdoors journalists do not seem to be raising these issues much in the media.

http://parkswatchscotland.co.uk/2020/06/05/covid-19-why-the-police-charges-against-the-two-crianlarich-hillwalkers-should-be-dropped/

Well I started reading it, but then it quickly becomes clear that the author has no more idea of what actually happened than any of us. More speculation.

But what is abundantly clear is the current Scottish Government advice is still – stay at home. Though we are now in phase one of working our way out of lockdown. That means you can travel a short distance (the suggestion is around five miles) for exercise.

So that means, for me anyway, no Munros, Corbetts, Grahams or Donalds for now.
It’s just how it is.
Gareth Harper

Munros:182   Corbetts:67
Grahams:24   Donalds:47
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Gareth Harper » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:47 pm

Remember it takes at least 15 minutes of continued, close, face-to-face contact, to catch this virus. Strolling-by someone is not enough.

Your statement is incorrect.
Gareth Harper

Postby Moriarty » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:01 pm

Marty_JG wrote:Remember it takes at least 15 minutes of continued, close, face-to-face contact, to catch this virus. Strolling-by someone is not enough.

Honestly. Sit down and think about that. If that were true just how would it be able to spread around the world as it has.

Sounds like what you want to hear has become common sense.
Moriarty

Postby tony.cee » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:43 pm

Moriarty wrote:
Marty_JG wrote:.

Honestly. Sit down and think about that. If that were true just how would it be able to spread around the world as it has.

Sounds like what you want to hear has become common sense.

Planes, mainly.
If the virus was as easily picked up by simply passing someone, it would be inescapable. Honestly, how are you going to go about life in a few weeks time when things begin to return to normal? (Which they will, there is no more money in the pot to pay people to cycle About and hide in their homes)

I can’t believe people are worried about catching Covid when out hillwalking, it is absolutely ridiculous. The whole point in restricting this pursuit is not to call upon mrt for rescue should you find yourself in trouble. But anyone familiar with an MRT Facebook post knows it’s probably a better idea to crawl for miles with a broken leg than be subject of scorn on social media by the twitteratti and zealots.

Head for the hills with the belief that nobody is going to help you, no matter what. You will find yourself better prepared and less likely to take chances with weather and over doing it.
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Munros:87   Corbetts:7
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:12   

Postby Moriarty » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:09 pm

tony.cee wrote:I can’t believe people are worried about catching Covid when out hillwalking, it is absolutely ridiculous. The whole point in restricting this pursuit is not to call upon mrt for rescue should you find yourself in trouble.

No, the problem Govt has is behavioural psychology.

So, for instance, you relax guidelines to allow folk to travel around 5 miles on foot or bike, avoid honeypot tourist destinations, use common sense....and immediately Lomondshores, Arrochar and Callander are swamped.

There is, unfortunately, no way for government to relax restrictions to risk assessed low risk behaviour which wont be used as an excuse for ill-informed halfwits to behave in high risk ways.

Population level public health strategies message to the lowest common denominator, unfortunately in this country that is a VERY low denominator.

Well-informed folk hoping to perform low risk activities are in the minority and suffer needlessly for the greater good.

Very annoying. Up to the individual as to whether they risk opprobrium (or criminal charges) by stepping out of approved behaviour.
Moriarty

Postby Gareth Harper » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Covid19 is highly infectious, much more so than seasonal flu, it is also often, for some people, much much more aggressive than the flu.
Honestly, how are you going to go about life in a few weeks time when things begin to return to normal?
I have worked right through the pandemic
I can’t believe people are worried about catching Covid when out hillwalking,.

I’m not in the least bit worried about catching Covid19 if I was able to go out hillwalking. I am not particularly worried about catching it at work – which is quite possible. It might kill me, but it probably won’t and for all I know I’ve already had it. But what is more of an issue is me catching it and passing it on to others. We know, for example, the elderly are at a much higher risk. For many of us this is about protecting others.

The whole point in restricting this pursuit is not to call upon mrt for rescue should you find yourself in trouble. But anyone familiar with an MRT Facebook post knows it’s probably a better idea to crawl for miles with a broken leg than be subject of scorn on social media by the twitteratti and zealots.

I have the greatest respect for Mountain Rescue. I hope I never ever need their help in the hills, but it is reassuring, for me particularly so as a solo walker, to know that they will come out and help if you are in a spot of bother. And accidents do happen. A simple miss-hap can leave you unable to continue your walk. Mountain Rescue Teams deserve our continuing respect and support.

If at this time, both the government and the MRTs are asking us not to travel to the hills, then I will respect that and not travel to the hills.

The hills ain’t going anywhere, and at some point, in the relatively near future I’m sure we will all once again be able to travel and enjoy the hills as we please once more.
Gareth Harper

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:12 pm

Moriarty wrote:

Honestly. Sit down and think about that. If that were true just how would it be able to spread around the world as it has. Sounds like what you want to hear has become common sense.

The UK government:

Coronaviruses can be spread when people with the virus have close, sustained contact with people who are not infected. This typically means spending more than 15 minutes within two metres of an infected person, such as talking to someone for instance.

https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk/2020/03/04/coronavirus-covid-19-what-is-social-distancing/

This is social distancing outside of the home. Inside the home you have huge amounts of contact contraction, basically perfect-transmission surfaces such as counter tops, fridge doors, sharing phones, etc.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:8   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Moriarty » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:43 pm

Marty_JG wrote:
Moriarty wrote:

UK Govt wrote:Coronaviruses can be spread when people with the virus have close, sustained contact with people who are not infected. This typically means spending more than 15 minutes within two metres of an infected person, such as talking to someone for instance.

Would you like to play spot the difference?

In reality we're talking odds and risks.

Those with an agenda will try to present risks one way, those with another agenda will present them another way.

The linguistic differences between what you say and the evidence you quote to back it up are very telling.
Moriarty

Postby mproudfoot » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:50 pm

Today highlighted some aspects of how idiotic this 5-mile restriction really is - fortunately I managed to do a round of five grahams that start within a 5-mile circle from where I live (although not a 5-mile drive), but on returning to my hometown (Helensburgh), it was absolutely mobbed.. every bench, grassy space on the front, people entering the leaving the local trails, and a long queue along the front from .. an ice-cream shop.

I'm sure there are those who would score some more internet purity points by tutting at me driving 8 miles to my walk, but if you want to tell me if would be safer trying to shuffle around thjs packed town, then you're wrong.
mproudfoot
Mountain Walker

Munros:271   Corbetts:43
Grahams:10   Donalds:9
Islands:8

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:59 pm

Moriarty wrote:The linguistic differences between what you say and the evidence you quote to back it up are very telling.

So, I recite the government's advice and it's on par with the 5G conspiracies?

How about the EU?

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/covid-19-public-health-management-contact-novel-coronavirus-cases-EU.pdf

How about the WHO?

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200402-sitrep-73-covid-19.pdf

Or is the only source of reliable information "Illuminati Dave" on the InfoWars forums?
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby Moriarty » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:11 pm

Marty_JG wrote:So, I recite the government's advice and it's on par with the 5G conspiracies?

Moriarty wrote:
Marty_JG wrote:

UK Govt wrote:Coronaviruses can be spread when people with the virus have close, sustained contact with people who are not infected. This typically means spending more than 15 minutes within two metres of an infected person, such as talking to someone for instance.

Would you like to play spot the difference?

Important not to let conspiracy theorists spread the load too much. If you over interpret advice and stretch and spin it to support your outlook from a completely non-qualified but very biased stance then you should be called out for doing so.
Moriarty

Postby tony.cee » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:15 pm

Moriarty wrote: Very annoying. Up to the individual as to whether they risk opprobrium (or criminal charges) by stepping out of approved behaviour.

Approved behaviour.... starting to wonder wether this conversation was about going up lochnagar or defecting from North Korea.

I’ve Gave my 2 cents, away to pack the bag for the hills tomorrow.

Stay safe/alert/alive folks :lol:
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Munros:87   Corbetts:7
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:12   

Postby Jorja the Dug » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:52 pm

Marty_JG wrote:
Moriarty wrote:

Honestly. Sit down and think about that. If that were true just how would it be able to spread around the world as it has. Sounds like what you want to hear has become common sense.

The UK government:

Coronaviruses can be spread when people with the virus have close, sustained contact with people who are not infected. This typically means spending more than 15 minutes within two metres of an infected person, such as talking to someone for instance.

https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk/2020/03/04/coronavirus-covid-19-what-is-social-distancing/

This is social distancing outside of the home. Inside the home you have huge amounts of contact contraction, basically perfect-transmission surfaces such as counter tops, fridge doors, sharing phones, etc.

Do you honestly think that what you said is the same thing as that Government quote?
Jorja the Dug
Mountaineer

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Donalds:1

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:57 pm

Jorja the Dug wrote:Do you honestly think that what you said is the same thing as that Government quote?

If you have a point to make feel free to make it on your own terms, there's no need to attempt to make me tease it out of you
Marty_JG
Backpacker

PreviousNext

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion