walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

New Coronavirus Law

Re: New Coronavirus Law

Postby Backpacker » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:47 pm

This thread has gone a bit

From what I've seen and read on lockdown, there's 3 people

1. Stick religiously to the guidance

2. Looks for loopholes to bend the rules slightly to give themselves a bit more freedom

3. Flouts it completely

I think most (especially cyclists :lol: :lol: ) fall into the 2nd category
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby al78 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:00 pm

Backpacker wrote:From what I've seen and read on lockdown, there's 3 people

2. Looks for loopholes to bend the rules slightly to give themselves a bit more freedom

3. Flouts it completely

There seems to be a significant minority that are taking the official guidelines to the extreme. Don't leave your home unless it is essential? That has never been the case, even during peak lockdown, people were permitted to go outside for fresh air and exercise for up to an hour. I don't see the need to make things more extreme than they currently are. I have been cycling three miles to cultivate my allotment, which I can do without coming anywhere near two meters from another person, and the chance of any transmission of anything is zero.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby BigTed » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:07 pm

Spade wrote:however if you want it to continue or extended then ignore scientific advice. Still the same ! Stay home stay safe!

Are the laws of science different in England then? No distance limit there.

In any case The Scottish advice is no longer stay home. Safe outdoor activities are allowed.

A thousand people could go up the Cobbler without any increased risk to the people of Arrochar. If they don't want any business from outsiders then signpost the shops to that effect. It's a pity nobody seems to be worried about the hundreds of tourism related jobs about to be lost.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/another-jobs-blow-perthshire-hotel-22153042

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/2207197/hospitality-industry-threatened-by-tidal-wave-of-job-losses-and-closures/
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby Gareth Harper » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:58 pm

In any case The Scottish advice is no longer stay home. Safe outdoor activities are allowed.

The Scottish advice is still stay at home.

Protect yourself and others:

stay at home
only go outside for essential food, health and work reasons
stay 2 metres (6 feet) away from other people
wash your hands regularly and as soon as you get home

You will find the full details here;

https://www.gov.scot/coronavirus-covid-19/

This page covers traveling for exercise;

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others/pages/meeting-others-outdoors/

You will find Mountain Rescue Advice here;
https://www.mountaineering.scot/coronavirus?fbclid=IwAR0q3JRqosY46WC123zhnp1WZfTxvuAQTTVdBUohcL0VInyoMEr-XZrVs2s

Mountain Rescue support the government advice.

Stay local: Limit your travel to around 5 miles for recreation and follow the current public health advice for Scotland to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Backpacker » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:34 pm

al78 wrote:
Backpacker wrote:From what I've seen and read on lockdown, there's 3 people

3. Flouts it completely

There seems to be a significant minority that are taking the official guidelines to the extreme. Don't leave your home unless it is essential? That has never been the case, even during peak lockdown, people were permitted to go outside for fresh air and exercise for up to an hour. I don't see the need to make things more extreme than they currently are. I have been cycling three miles to cultivate my allotment, which I can do without coming anywhere near two meters from another person, and the chance of any transmission of anything is zero.

The hour limit was never a thing, it was an off the top of my head remark by Jason leitch and whoever the politician was, even during peak lock down I was still taking the dog to the summit of my local hill (it’s all forestry track that I Could take the car to within 500m of the summit trig). The broadly 5 miles has given me a bit more freedom and opened up my local Corbett to me (start point broadly 5 miles not taking the mickey) as well as a few other wee hills, hoping when my A/L comes around next week I’ll be able to travel within the county and do some bigger and better hills but I doubt the parking areas will be open till at least phase 3.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Spade » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:05 pm

BigTed wrote:
Spade wrote:however if you want it to continue or extended then ignore scientific advice. Still the same ! Stay home stay safe!

Are the laws of science different in England then? No distance limit there.

A thousand people could go up the Cobbler without any increased risk to the people of Arrochar. If they don't want any business from outsiders then signpost the shops to that effect. It's a pity nobody seems to be worried about the hundreds of tourism related jobs about to be lost.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/another-jobs-blow-perthshire-hotel-22153042

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/2207197/hospitality-industry-threatened-by-tidal-wave-of-job-losses-and-closures/

Stay home stay safe, a thousand people up the cobbler is a significant risk to the current pandemic, not only to themselves but to others. its irresponsible and selfish. Stay home, stay safe, consider others, be socially responsible and remember to wash your hands.
It is very concerning for all the economy including the rural. Obeying the rules will shorten the lockdown and help us all out of this sooner rather than later.
Stay safe, stay at home, wash your hands
:D
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby Spade » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:10 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:

Protect yourself and others:

stay at home
stay 2 metres (6 feet) away from other people
wash your hands regularly and as soon as you get home

You will find the full details here;

https://www.gov.scot/coronavirus-covid-19/

This page covers traveling for exercise;

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others/pages/meeting-others-outdoors/

You will find Mountain Rescue Advice here;
https://www.mountaineering.scot/coronavirus?fbclid=IwAR0q3JRqosY46WC123zhnp1WZfTxvuAQTTVdBUohcL0VInyoMEr-XZrVs2s

Mountain Rescue support the government advice.

Stay local: Limit your travel to around 5 miles for recreation and follow the current public health advice for Scotland to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19.

Common sense and it is what we are required to do :clap:
Spade

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:17 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:

[b]Protect yourself and others:

stay at home

Yes that is the advice but it is ambiguous and vague - deliberately I guess.

While you are right stay at home is the advice, if you dive deeper into some of the links you have given.....
The advice ,rules, guidelines are also
You can go out for exercise as often as you want.
You can go out and play golf
or go out and sit in the park sunbathing.
Also you can go and sit in a friends garden.
There is no time limit for any of the above, not even advice apart from the stay at home, which while still the official slogan it is no longer a clear cut message and becoming more irrelevant every day. :?
Sunset tripper

Postby Spade » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:25 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:
Gareth Harper wrote:

[b]Protect yourself and others:

stay at home

While you are right stay at home is the advice, if you dive deeper into some of the links you have given.....
The advice ,rules, guidelines are also
You can go out for exercise as often as you want.
You can go out and play golf
or go out and sit in the park sunbathing.
Also you can go and sit in a friends garden.
There is no time limit for any of the above, not even advice apart from the stay at home, which while still the official slogan it is no longer a clear cut message and becoming more irrelevant every day. :?

No, still quite clear, what's changed is peoples attitudes and this is why it seems blurred (and its understandable) but it's so important to stick with it, bit like pushing for the final ascent, got to keep with the guidelines. :D
Spade

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:39 pm

Spade wrote:a thousand people up the cobbler is a significant risk to the current pandemic, not only to themselves but to others.

It depends how far distanced the people up the Cobbler are. If family groups are a few meters apart and do not spend any significant time talking to each other (let alone touching or kissing each other) then no, it is not a significant risk. Being outdoors and socially distancing is very low risk.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Gareth Harper » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:46 pm

It is not that difficult. As far as hill walking is concerned, if you have hills near-by, you can go hill walking. Driving a few miles to get to the start of your walk is fine.

For me Arrochar, for example is out, it is about a 50-mile drive from where I live. The nominal figure is 5 miles, I don’t think I can argue that 50 miles is within the guidelines. So, for now, no Munros, Corbetts, Grahams or Donalds for me.

The mountain rescue advice echoes the governments advice.

I guess cabin fever is setting in for many, and yeah not being able to travel to the hills is extremely frustrating, but this is not forever, and as we have seen collective action is essential in combating Covid19.

We just need to be patient. The hills ain’t going anywhere.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Silver Bear » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:58 pm

THEY are now talking about a K value to keep us locked up for even longer lol
Silver Bear

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:26 pm

Spade wrote:No, still quite clear, what's changed is peoples attitudes and this is why it seems blurred (and its understandable) but it's so important to stick with it, bit like pushing for the final ascent, got to keep with the guidelines. :D

Yes, quite clear - you must stay at home but you can go out all day. :roll:

The laws are far clearer.

The advice and guidelines are just that - advice and guidelines.

If people stay with in the law while still looking at the advice and then doing what they as individuals think is right there can be no complaints really. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Spade » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:54 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:
Spade wrote:No, still quite clear, what's changed is peoples attitudes and this is why it seems blurred (and its understandable) but it's so important to stick with it, bit like pushing for the final ascent, got to keep with the guidelines. :D

Yes, quite clear - you must stay at home but you can go out all day. :roll:

The laws are far clearer.

The advice and guidelines are just that - advice and guidelines.

If people stay with in the law while still looking at the advice and then doing what they as individuals think is right there can be no complaints really. :D

your comments are fair and reasonable, but there indeed the problem lies with "doing what they as individuals think is right" That's where common good becomes discarded and the irresponsible individuals ruin it for all (as you see in may aspects of life). Social responsibility has to be more prevalent so we can all benefit and that comes from individual behaviour.
Spade

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:18 pm

I guess cabin fever is setting in ..., but this is not forever,

True, but the longer it goes on the more it feels like it
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion