walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Rescue needed?

Rescue needed?

Postby weedavie » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:57 am

There was another MR outing on Saturday to rescue a couple on Beinn a'Chroin. I'm not complaining, they've been called, totally justified trip on the hills. But if you felt critical, last week on the Cobbler was doubtful enough. The callers had 8 hours of daylight to get themselves off, although there was mist, and were unhurt. "Are you standing on top of the eye of the needle?" "No? Good enough. Head downhill and don't fall over any crags. Have a nice day!" OK they might have ended up 10 miles from their car, but it's part of the learning experience.

Saturday on Beinn a'Chroin was again with plenty of daylight and this time absolutely perfect visibility. Beinn a'Chroin's got a fair few crags and I've had tricky moments in winter but this was really another "Sort yourself out!" call. I know it was reported that they weren't suitably equipped but on a day like that you could have got by in a basque and high heels. My first time on Beinn a Chroin, 25 years ago, was on a blazing summer day. We were going down via Beinn Chabhair and about 5 pm we met a young guy going up accompanied by a six year old (I'd guess) wearing a party frock and carrying a parasol. We thought it weird but were more intent on finding a burn to plunge into. Anyway if she didn't get off the hill, it never made the news. Odd to think that if she survived, she's now in her 30s. She may still climb unsuitably equipped but she's got experience.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Re: Rescue needed?

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:25 pm

It's hard to comment without knowing more detail. It would be possible for the inexperienced to get themselves cragfast on Beinn a' Chroin, or to feel unwell due to a lack of food/drink, for example. We probably should not try to read too much into the precise wording of the police statement, which may well have been written by someone behind a desk with no first-hand knowledge of the incident.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby rgf101 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:49 pm

While I've thankfully never had to make a call myself, I know two people who have. The first one they took details, told her to stay put and wait to hear shouts. Second one they took details, told 'em to head (I think) up and over the hill they were on, and sent the local copper out to save them a long walk on an unlit walk back to the car.

So I'll leave that shout up to the MR.

And I have this sneaking suspicion that there might just be one or two MR team members thinking "ooh, I quite fancy an excuse to walk up a hill..."
rgf101

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:00 pm

rgf101 wrote:While I've thankfully never had to make a call myself, I know two people who have. The first one they took details, told her to stay put and wait to hear shouts. Second one they took details, told 'em to head (I think) up and over the hill they were on, and sent the local copper out to save them a long walk on an unlit walk back to the car.

And I have this sneaking suspicion that there might just be one or two MR team members thinking "ooh, I quite fancy an excuse to walk up a hill..."

All I remember about Beinn a'Chroin is a really easy scramble and and walkout down the glen through what I can only describe as interminable bog. Lockdown could last another 3 years and I still wouldn't voluntarily walk through that nonsense again :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Shuginho » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:46 pm

jupe1407 wrote:
rgf101 wrote:While I've thankfully never had to make a call myself, I know two people who have. The first one they took details, told her to stay put and wait to hear shouts. Second one they took details, told 'em to head (I think) up and over the hill they were on, and sent the local copper out to save them a long walk on an unlit walk back to the car.

All I remember about Beinn a'Chroin is a really easy scramble and and walkout down the glen through what I can only describe as interminable bog. Lockdown could last another 3 years and I still wouldn't voluntarily walk through that nonsense again :lol:

We were half way down to the glen from Beinn a'Chroin when it started to absolutely lash down. We thought "awk it'll be fine, least we've got a straight route back to the motor".

I don't know if it's possible for interminable to be an understatement :lol:
Shuginho
Mountain Walker

Munros:150   Corbetts:4
Fionas:12   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:11   
Islands:24

Postby prog99 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:48 pm

Shuginho wrote:We were half way down to the glen from Beinn a'Chroin when it started to absolutely lash down. We thought "awk it'll be fine, least we've got a straight route back to the motor".

I don't know if it's possible for interminable to be an understatement :lol:

Its not great is it but it is well documented as to how bad it is.
The new hydro track definitely does improve things a fair bit though,
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby weedavie » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:11 pm

jupe1407 wrote:All I remember about Beinn a'Chroin is a really easy scramble and and walkout down the glen through what I can only describe as interminable bog. Lockdown could last another 3 years and I still wouldn't voluntarily walk through that nonsense again :lol:

There are better routes. The Falloch three is a good one, and there are three or four from Inverlochlarig. I remember feeling distinctly intimidated on a winter ascent from the Ishag burn. Crossing from Cruach Ardrain also gives a bit of scrambling on its descent - I did walk out the bog that time. Thankfully it was frozen.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:17 am

Yeah, it was the weather conditions on Saturday that caught my eye. It was glorious here in Fife. As others have said, we dont know the full details. Maybe the two walkers didnt have enough water, and felt weakened through dehydration. We've all made that mistake. Maybe there was a twisted ankle involved? Again, we just don't know.

On an unrelated note, it was on Beinn a Chroin that I had my windiest ever summit. I literally had to crawl on my stomach, commando-like, to touch the summit cairn, before beating a hasty retreat into the lee of the hill. :shock:

A nice hill, under-rated IMO. :wink:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:18 pm

weedavie wrote: on a day like that you could have got by in a basque and high heels.

What do you know about the basque ands high heels? :shock:

Cabervestite.jpg
Transylvannian Mountaineering Club
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Glengavel » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:08 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
weedavie wrote: on a day like that you could have got by in a basque and high heels.

What do you know about the basque ands high heels? :shock:

Cabervestite.jpg

Beinn a'Chroin - The Boggy Horror Peatbog Show
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby weedavie » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:14 pm

To be honest I've never cross-dressed on a hill. Once on the Ardverikie hills, I'd forgotten my boots. Rather than screw up people's day, I chose to walk on in a fetching little shiny black pair of Ecco street shoes. I was wearing moleskin breeches and with my fawn knee-socks, I was transformed from Tom Weir manliness to what my so-called friends described as kiddy molester. They practiced social distancing even if this was back in 2000. I'm told photos still exist, but I destroyed what I could lay my hands on.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:24 am

weedavie wrote:To be honest I've never cross-dressed on a hill. Once on the Ardverikie hills, I'd forgotten my boots. Rather than screw up people's day, I chose to walk on in a fetching little shiny black pair of Ecco street shoes. I was wearing moleskin breeches and with my fawn knee-socks, I was transformed from Tom Weir manliness to what my so-called friends described as kiddy molester. They practiced social distancing even if this was back in 2000. I'm told photos still exist, but I destroyed what I could lay my hands on.

The great W. A. Poucher was frequently encountered on Scottish hills in full make up.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby CharlesT » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:40 pm

Sgurr wrote:The great W. A. Poucher was frequently encountered on Scottish hills in full make up.

Well he did write the definitive book on perfumes and cosmetics, so "road testing" his wares seems ressonable to me.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion