walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Scottish tourism could reopen on July 15th

Re: Scottish tourism could reopen on July 15th

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:35 pm

I did the Cowal Way 2nd week of August last year, wild-camping. Brutally hot during the day and as it started to cool swarms of midges. Swarms! And no wind to drift them away. My wild-camping tip, then and now, is incense. The really pungent stuff you get from Asian shops. Lovely smell (IMO) and does keep the beasties at bay. In fact you could see them swarming nearby, but they can't brave the stinksmoke.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby al78 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:51 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:
al78 wrote:
Essan wrote:15th July? Peak midge and cleg season ,,,,,

No thanks. I'll wait till the autumn!

Would it be a very bad idea to backpack from Blair Atholl to Aviemore across the Forest of Atholl and Cairngorm munros for this reason?

I would say dont let the midgies affect your plans other than packing the smidge and a head net incase they are at their very worst. :shock:

I'm not really planning to do it just now, I'm thinking of best times of year to go backpacking in Scotland. I have wondered whether September is a good time to go, still a chance of pleasant temperatures and the midge activity may be going down.

The slight problem with planning Scottish highland trips is I want to pick a time when the weather is favourable, outside of peak midge activity, and at a time of year when getting to the higher summits (1000m+) isn't going to be hampered by snow and ice, and ideally not having to worry about stalking activities. That only leaves mid May to late June (maybe just June for the highest Cairngorm summits), unless September is not so bad for midge activity.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:18 pm

al78 wrote:I want to pick a time when the weather is favourable, outside of peak midge activity, and at a time of year when getting to the higher summits (1000m+) isn't going to be hampered by snow and ice, and ideally not having to worry about stalking activities.

2021 it is then.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby al78 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:21 pm

Marty_JG wrote:
al78 wrote:I want to pick a time when the weather is favourable, outside of peak midge activity, and at a time of year when getting to the higher summits (1000m+) isn't going to be hampered by snow and ice, and ideally not having to worry about stalking activities.

2021 it is then.

Most likely yes. I have just worked out an epic backpacking route over 2 1/2 weeks: Blair Atholl -> Braemar -> Aviemore -> Blair Atholl taking in any munros on route, including Ben Avon and Beinn a Bhuird, about 135 miles in total. I will have to train myself to climb hills in rain and clag first.
al78
Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:22 pm

rockhopper wrote:https://youtu.be/z0rJNDmtGGw

Image Image Image Image

I see the first thing you'll be doing is getting a hair- (or moustache??) cut!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:39 pm

Alteknacker wrote:
rockhopper wrote:https://youtu.be/z0rJNDmtGGw

Image Image Image Image

I see the first thing you'll be doing is getting a hair- (or moustache??) cut!

:lol: :lol: :lol: I've already had two lockdown haircuts (supermarket hair trimmer) no.4 all over :roll: ....and the supermarket beard trimmer is also in use weekly..........although almost all grey :crazy:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby denfinella » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:45 pm

al78 wrote:The slight problem with planning Scottish highland trips is I want to pick a time when the weather is favourable, outside of peak midge activity, and at a time of year when getting to the higher summits (1000m+) isn't going to be hampered by snow and ice, and ideally not having to worry about stalking activities. That only leaves mid May to late June (maybe just June for the highest Cairngorm summits), unless September is not so bad for midge activity.

I understand your reasoning, but I reckon you might be over-estimating the midge issue. In a decade of hillwalking in Scotland I can count the number of days I've encountered significant numbers of midges on one hand. Sure, they can be bad, but the chance is low, especially east of the A9 (where you are going).

Anecdotally I would say that July and September have similar numbers of midges (August being undoubtedly the worst month in an average year - but still nothing to get too bothered about). Additionally I've found that the midge season seems to focussed a few weeks later in the year in the Cairngorms than on the west coast, so July in the Cairngorms might well be OK (and probably better than September).

This is of course just based on my own experience and from what I've seen on this forum, so it may not be factually correct!
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:04 am

Wonderful to hear. The 5 mile limit is becoming unworkable.

I am so jealous as the planned changes will be all for nothing (for me) unless the 14 day quarantine is also lifted.

I understand the need for it and think it's a good idea (would have been a better idea in January) but a bit frustrating if my second planned visit has to be cancelled for quarantine and everything else would be possible :crazy:
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Walk wish-list

Postby Essan » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:20 am

denfinella wrote:
al78 wrote:The slight problem with planning Scottish highland trips is I want to pick a time when the weather is favourable, outside of peak midge activity, and at a time of year when getting to the higher summits (1000m+) isn't going to be hampered by snow and ice, and ideally not having to worry about stalking activities. That only leaves mid May to late June (maybe just June for the highest Cairngorm summits), unless September is not so bad for midge activity.

I understand your reasoning, but I reckon you might be over-estimating the midge issue. In a decade of hillwalking in Scotland I can count the number of days I've encountered significant numbers of midges on one hand. Sure, they can be bad, but the chance is low, especially east of the A9 (where you are going).

Anecdotally I would say that July and September have similar numbers of midges (August being undoubtedly the worst month in an average year - but still nothing to get too bothered about). Additionally I've found that the midge season seems to focussed a few weeks later in the year in the Cairngorms than on the west coast, so July in the Cairngorms might well be OK (and probably better than September).

This is of course just based on my own experience and from what I've seen on this forum, so it may not be factually correct!

I find clegs more of a nuisance in July - at least with midges they are only a problem when you stop.

Of course, this summer you're unlikely to be able to escape to the sanctuary of a bothy ......
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby al78 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:00 pm

denfinella wrote:

In the 1990's, my parents and I used to go to Scotland every year car touring around the Grampians/Moray/Speyside, a friend of my parents owned a cottage near Keith which we used as a base. We always went up in late July and I have memories of being ground zero for midges (as was my mother). For some reason, my father was always left alone. Hence I have some aversion to July and August, plus the weather in those months is climatologically worse than May and June (in terms of sunshine and precipitation). If midge activity is not too bad in latre June/early July, that would be a decent time to go.
al78
Walker

Postby Silver Bear » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:44 pm

Some areas of Scottish Tourism are already on the brink of permanent closure
July 15th might be too late to save some
Sad times and unnecessary pain to people striving to make a living for themselves
Silver Bear

Postby al78 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:46 pm

Silver Bear wrote:Some areas of Scottish Tourism are already on the brink of permanent closure
July 15th might be too late to save some
Sad times and unnecessary pain to people striving to make a living for themselves

Hopefully most of the accommodation will be able to scrape through, otherwise when this is over, it will be even harder to book accommodation in the warmer months, and the higher demand will drive prices up.
al78
Walker

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:06 am

Walking, hiking, camping, caravanning (your own caravan, not a rented static), they're all fine and low risk and there is no real reason they're not open now.

But hotels, B&Bs, hostels? I can't see them being safe until post-vaccination or until a proven herd immunity exists.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby goth_angel » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:09 pm

Marty_JG wrote:Walking, hiking, camping, caravanning (your own caravan, not a rented static), they're all fine and low risk and there is no real reason they're not open now.

But hotels, B&Bs, hostels? I can't see them being safe until post-vaccination or until a proven herd immunity exists.

The problem is that a vaccine might be years away or worst case never get developed. At some point we will just have to get on with things and get back to something vaguely approaching normality.

I've taken a punt and booked a couple of Lakes trips and crossing fingers.
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:181   

Postby dav2930 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:48 am

Sunset tripper wrote:
al78 wrote:
Essan wrote:15th July? Peak midge and cleg season ,,,,,

No thanks. I'll wait till the autumn!

Would it be a very bad idea to backpack from Blair Atholl to Aviemore across the Forest of Atholl and Cairngorm munros for this reason?

I would say dont let the midgies affect your plans other than packing the smidge and a head net incase they are at their very worst. :shock:

Totally agree with that. The midgie problem is manageable, as I've learned over the years, with a combination of repellent (Smidge or similar - I've found citronella oil works very well) and head net. When you set up camp those green coils (or 'joints' as we used to call them) that you burn from one end are very effective at keeping the midgies out of the tent, though they do tend to fill it with acrid smoke!
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion