walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Strathfarrar 4 - Parking

Strathfarrar 4 - Parking

Postby ScotFinn65 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:43 pm

Can anyone confirm the distance between Milton Cottage gate parking and the parking at the start of the Strathfarrar 4?

I am considering whether it would be easier to arrive early and walk the extra mileage, than wait for the gate to open.

TIA
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Re: Strathfarrar 4 - Parking

Postby Backpacker » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:48 pm

It's about 7 or 8 miles
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:117
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby ScotFinn65 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:50 pm

Backpacker wrote:It's about 7 or 8 miles

Thanks Backpacker. So not really feasible solution then :shock:
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

Postby al78 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:28 pm

There looks to be an alternative (longer) route from the north which avoids the access issue. You could park near Loch Beannacharain, then from Inverchoran, there is a path marked which goes south over a small bealach to glen Orrin, cross a bridge over the river, then it is straight up to Sgurr a Choire Ghlais. It may be possible to aim for one end of the ridge and come off at the other end to avoid backtracking. I parked there to climb Bac an Eich, and the Strathfarrar munros were very clearly identifiable.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby CharlesT » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:51 pm

Quite doable from Inverchoran, as I did, but it is a long day and the track back from the bridge over the Orrin feels endless on the return journey. On the plus side, you'll see no-one and Glen Orrin is a delight. Pick a good, fine day though. It started to rain when I was just too far committed to turn back and continued for the whole trip. I couldn't have been wetter.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby gman » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:52 pm

I got there early and cycled in, walking in might not be too bad but the thought of walking back out would be hanging over you all day. I met a group going the opposite way on the ridge who had a mix up with car keys and asked me to drive one of their cars back to the start of the walk :D so you might get lucky with a lift.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Arthurs Eat » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:49 pm

gman wrote:I got there early and cycled in, walking in might not be too bad but the thought of walking back out would be hanging over you all day. I met a group going the opposite way on the ridge who had a mix up with car keys and asked me to drive one of their cars back to the start of the walk :D so you might get lucky with a lift.

I met a woman who,was also waiting for the gate to open she asked if I would drive her to the other end then back to the start. After the wok she gave me a lif back to my car. Worked well.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby jupe1407 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:00 am

We just dumped bikes at the end. The cycle back to the cars at the start point was absolute heaven after a long scorching day on the hills.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Scraggygoat » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:17 pm

As ever numerous ways of doing these hills, with a car and a bike they are a relatively short day. Dropping the bikes at the Western end means you have a down-hill cycle back to your car at the end of the day. Cycling in all the way means you have no time pressure and can amble, sun-bath and laze as you see fit. Its also a good tactic for a Winter visit as you can make your choice based on the weather, don't have to plan/commit in advance to organise access and have no problems leaving the glen if late, a winter visit can be magic. Also if you cycle in early or late it feels as if you have the whole glen to yourself. If you drive in without a bike you have a certain amount of time pressure but are not too rushed, though if its a w/e in summer you will probably be able to thumb a lift back to your car, or organise in the car park with another group. The approach from the North mentioned above is longer and rougher, feeling more remote (by contrast the Srathfarrar side feels more like the Lakes), it takes a while to make the First top, however its the hills best side with the nice lochan filled corries.

For further entertainment cycle in with camping kit and undertake a multi-day 'Monar round' taking in the munros north and south of the loch.
Scraggygoat

Postby ScotFinn65 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:59 pm

Thanks to everyone for the fantastic options.

What a great resource this site is and so many helpful people.

Thank you! :clap:
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:44 pm

I did it from Inverchoran, and recommend it. Not least because you have no time constraints to get back in time, unlike everyone I met on the ridge itself, who all seemed to be in a rush :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:25 pm

spiderwebb wrote:I did it from Inverchoran, and recommend it. Not least because you have no time constraints to get back in time, unlike everyone I met on the ridge itself, who all seemed to be in a rush :lol:

Likewise. My first ascent of the "4" in the mid nineties involved walking in from Inverchoran one evening, camping in Glen Orrin, a long leisurely day on the tops, back down the glen for another camp, then back out to Inverchoran. Got lucky with both the weather and the midges (none). :)
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion