walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Hare today, gone tomorrow.

Hare today, gone tomorrow.

Postby weedavie » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:30 am

You've got to be pleased at some degree of legal protection being given to mountain hares. Mind you, it does disturb you when it's done without proper parliamentary scrutiny at the behest of the SNP running dogs, the Greens.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53087039

While the sporting interests say there's no evidence, anyone who's walked our uplands over the last 20 years has seen the decline. Walkhighlands' Chonzie route still refers to the massive population of hares on that hill. Well 20 years ago, I would have expected to see 50 or so on a traverse of the hill, now I'm pleased if I have two sightings. In the Southern Uplands, Dun Rig and Dollar Law show drops that don't constitute reduction, they are disappearance.

In the Highlands, you can see huge variances hill to hill. The contrast between Glas Tuileachean, empty, and across the glen Carn Bhinnein, hordes, is particularly marked. Of course this is all random observation but it does contradict the shooting party's stance.

Now there'll be the interest in seeing whether this new regulation is enforced. It's important that it should be,
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Re: Hare today, gone tomorrow.

Postby prog99 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:09 pm

Indeed, best bit of news for a while.
I've been on an estate when they've been culling the hares and the body count is pretty shocking.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:57 pm

There was a Cairngorm estate I frequented in the late 1980s. There were many hares and eagles hunted there; the hare seemed to be the staple diet of the great raptors. A few years later I was back; the hares were gone, and also no sign of eagles. Double whammy, and I doubt if it's a co-incidence or unplanned consequence. Much like the white settlers killed off the bison for elather and also to starve out the native Americans, so destroying the hares robs the predators of prey and sustenance. All you see up there now are crows. The birds, not the native Americans.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:44 pm

I guess you've got to take the rough with the smooth.

On the one hand, no parliamentary scrutiny for this particular piece of legislation; on the other, legislation guaranteeing the most forward thinking and liberal outdoors access anywhere in the world.

And don't get me started on the Greens. Hardly anyone votes for them, and they have a hugely disproportionate impact at Holyrood.

Banning genetically modified crops (aka 'Frankenstein Foods') being grown in Scotland - without any scientific evidence of harmful effects? Madness. :roll:

Having said that, I do support this protection for the hare population - however it came about.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby thedonalds » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:51 am

I have walked the Border hills all over and in years gone by one used to be absolutely guaranteed to see mountain hares on The Scrape, which is part of the Manor valley hills, along with Golden Plovers but both have disappeared over the last 10 years or so. I cannot ever recall seeing (or hearing) any shooting on these hills so where have the mountain hares gone? Climate change? maybe. Change in habitat? I cant see any obvious changes on these hills. More people on the hills causing disturbance? possibly. Some other naturally occurring factor? who knows. This observation alone indicates that blindly creating legislation such as this without the appropriate research will not improve matters for the hares.
thedonalds
Walker

Munros:22   Corbetts:7
Fionas:22   Donalds:87+48
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:26

Postby weedavie » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:22 pm

thedonalds wrote:I have walked the Border hills all over and in years gone by one used to be absolutely guaranteed to see mountain hares on The Scrape, which is part of the Manor valley hills, along with Golden Plovers but both have disappeared over the last 10 years or so. I cannot ever recall seeing (or hearing) any shooting on these hills so where have the mountain hares gone? Climate change? maybe. Change in habitat? I cant see any obvious changes on these hills. More people on the hills causing disturbance? possibly. Some other naturally occurring factor? who knows. This observation alone indicates that blindly creating legislation such as this without the appropriate research will not improve matters for the hares.

Look, this isn't opinion - the estates are saying they're shooting hares and justifying it by any means. Previously they were blaming the hares for the tick populations that were harming grouse. Rather more fashionably, they're now telling us the hares are encouraging ticks to spread Lyme's Disease.

Just because you've not seen shooting doesn't mean it's not happening. Illegal deer and badger hunting happens all the time without being visible. I always think of Fifeys as being fat, armed and driving ugly SUVs. But Jimmy, who was Fifey, a tad overweight and generally tooled up, but also a superb naturalist, told me of organised shooting he'd done of hares on Meall a'Bhuridh. Now for all the times I've been on that hill I've never heard a gunshot but I believe his story.

Incidentally, I saw a bunch of Golden Plovers on the Pentlands on Saturday,
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:59 am

weedavie wrote:Incidentally, I saw a bunch of Golden Plovers on the Pentlands on Saturday,

Were they carrying shotguns? :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Josaff » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:09 pm

I've done a lot of wandering around the lowlands, Borders and Galloway areas fairly recently. The thing i notice more than any other place in these areas is that they are awash with grouse butts and traps. Its no surprise to me the hares and all other wildlife numbers are dwindling significantly. The indiscriminate slaughter of our amazing wildlife in order for these landowners and their clients to sate their financial and bloodthirsty appetites is a barbaric scandal.
So far I've not come across any mass graves but given time i'm sure i will. As these people cover up their crimes.
Josaff

Munros:282   Corbetts:49
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:168   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion