walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Go Outdoors face administration

Re: Go Outdoors face administration

Postby Arthurs Eat » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:27 am

Flat Earther wrote:Camping and hospitality now open in England.

Scotland risking missing out on significant business over the summer.

Mountaineering Scotland has pushed for opening up. Meanwhile walkhighlands lobbies on hares and closes covid threads.

It's only a risk if there is no second wave of covid. If there is a second wave, it will be a disaster. Do we ca canny or to hell with the consequences? Not a call I suspect, any of us qualified to make.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:04 am

Lightfoot2017 wrote:
Jim777 wrote:Hope gman isn’t right about TISO as I worked there for the first five years they were open in Perth before I retired ( that was 4 years ago ). Yes, they’re not the cheapest of shops but it would be a shame to see them taken over by someone like JD. We need to keep as wide a variety of outdoor retailers as possible. We need to support our outdoor retailers as much as we can - when they eventually get the opportunity to open.

Agree with the general notion that we all benefit from as wide a variety of outdoor shops as possible. However, I have to say, I have nothing but contempt for Tiso. Every time I've gone in there I've been treated with an appalling lack of courtesy and customer care by staff. Usually, young sneering and patronising climber types who look down their nose at you, just cos they've done a bit of abseiling at their university climbing club.

Add to that the fact that they are always appalling over priced compared to other outlets, then I wont mourn if they go out of business.

Go Outdoors on the other hand....now them I'd miss. Far more reasonably priced, and the staff actually appear to give a damn.

Reminds me of when i went to Tiso in Perth for the first time to get a pair of winter boots. I knew what i wanted in terms of boots and crampons (having seen a special offer on their website) but this guy spent about 10 minutes trying to persuade me to spend an extra £150 on higher spec gear I just didn't need. I've only been back once - to try on summer boots for size which i then got for about £60 less from Cotswolds online.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:11 am

Just to correct this for anyone confused, overnight stays away from home are currently not permitted in any UK country. England is planned to begin to open up from 4th July.

After closing the 'law' thread, we've received our biggest ever mailbox of support from users who have been angry or upset about those using forum discussions to advocate breaking the rules. We're therefore not now allowing further posts that encourage people to break the lockdown.

Please now keep this thread on topic.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby gman » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:33 am

Paul Webster wrote:
Just to correct this for anyone confused, overnight stays away from home are currently not permitted in any UK country. England is planned to begin to open up from 4th July.

Camping is outdoor recreation which is permitted under Scottish regulations, also you can now stay away from home as part of an extended household.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby gman » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:39 am

gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:41 am

Overnight stays away from home - including camping - are against the lockdown guidance in every UK country at the moment.

Single person households are allowed to form a bubble which enables them to be regarded as a member of another household - so that household becomes part of their home.

To respect those who are following the rules, any further posts arguing for breaching of the lockdown guidance will result in a ban. Also keep threads on topic.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:06 pm

// MODERATION: off topic and misleading post removed. Final warning sent. //
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby poppiesrara » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:20 pm

Deleted an unnecessary response!
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Josaff » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:29 pm

// MODERATION: off topic post removed. Warning sent. //
Josaff

Munros:282   Corbetts:49
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:165   

Postby weedavie » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:03 pm

Scotland risking missing out on significant business over the summer.

Mountaineering Scotland has pushed for opening up. Meanwhile walkhighlands lobbies on hares and closes covid threads.

Mountaineering Scotland is a campaigning organisation, Walkhighlands is an excellent social and discussion site. Try not to get confused between them.

We've had a few weeks off the hills (and seeing the April snow was frustrating) but what was that in a lifetime? We lost March 2001 to Foot & Mouth. That wasn't entirely sensible either. Many of us have memories of pulling off into the layby at Drumochter to run the car wheels through the disinfected straw, which was a bit of a giggle. But we grinned and cooperated. The alternative is the Dominic Cummings declaration that it all applies to someone else.

The problem of Mountain Hares, or more precisely, controlling the behaviour of the sporting estates, is far more serious than when you get back on the hills. However, it is a separate topic but you seem to get confused easily.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby madprof » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:22 pm

gman wrote:And Go Outdoors has been bought back by JD Sports.

https://www.insidermedia.com/news/yorkshire/jd-sports-reacquires-go-outdoors-from-admin

This means store closures and job losses but some stores remaining open. The one here in Cambridge surely can't survive. We're miles from any major outdoor areas.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:25 pm

madprof wrote:This means store closures and job losses but some stores remaining open. The one here in Cambridge surely can't survive. We're miles from any major outdoor areas.

Thorpe Wood 35 minutes up the A1, Thetford Forest is 30 minutes up the A11. Many happy memories with both; camping, hiking, kayaking, etc., as family groups and with the Scouts.

Admittedly not very hilly... :D
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion