walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Go Outdoors face administration

Go Outdoors face administration

Postby gman » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:40 am

gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Go Outdoors face administration

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:18 am

Terrible news. Their price matches have saved me hundred s over the years.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:48 am

Bad news indeed but maybe not the worst as further down the article it suggests JD keen to restructure and retain control of an albeit slimmed down version perhaps via a pre pack administration.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gman » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:45 am

Most GO shops are in England where there are fewer restrictions on outdoor recreation, it will be interesting to see how shops based in Scotland get on. JD will also be looking at Tiso I don't think any of their shops are open at the moment.
gman

Postby jayedubya73 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:59 pm

I am really sorry to see this.

GO outdoors is a great store that makes outdoors hobbies feel far more accessible. The one at Coatbridge isn't far from me, I have spent way more than I should have over the years.

It feels unfortunate timing - 'staycation' holidays are going to be here for the forseeable future - hopefully they get some good finance arrangements in place to keep them going. Surely the market for camping and local travel is going to increase in the weeks and months ahead.

Keeping my fingers crossed - wishing everyone connected with GO outdoors my best wishes
jayedubya73
Hill Bagger

Munros:233   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:12+6
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Jim777 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:02 pm

Hope gman isn’t right about TISO as I worked there for the first five years they were open in Perth before I retired ( that was 4 years ago ). Yes, they’re not the cheapest of shops but it would be a shame to see them taken over by someone like JD. We need to keep as wide a variety of outdoor retailers as possible. We need to support our outdoor retailers as much as we can - when they eventually get the opportunity to open.
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Postby gman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:11 pm

Jim777 wrote:Hope gman isn’t right about TISO as I worked there for the first five years they were open in Perth before I retired ( that was 4 years ago ). Yes, they’re not the cheapest of shops but it would be a shame to see them taken over by someone like JD.

JD have had a controlling interest in Tiso since 2013, JD also own Blacks, Millets and Ultimate Outdoors. I was in Go Outdoors Clydebank this morning and it seemed like business as usual so I hope they'll keep that one open.
gman

Postby Glengavel » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:19 am

gman wrote:
Jim777 wrote:Hope gman isn’t right about TISO as I worked there for the first five years they were open in Perth before I retired ( that was 4 years ago ). Yes, they’re not the cheapest of shops but it would be a shame to see them taken over by someone like JD.

JD have had a controlling interest in Tiso since 2013, JD also own Blacks, Millets and Ultimate Outdoors. I was in Go Outdoors Clydebank this morning and it seemed like business as usual so I hope they'll keep that one open.

Surprised (and a little disappointed) to hear that, although I probably shouldn't be.

I can't see anything preventing these places from re-opening. Craigdon in Perth, and presumably elsewhere, is reopening on the 29th, I believe.
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:39 am

gman wrote:

They are all owned in some way by the Pentland Group and own other various sport companies.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby gman » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:04 am

Glengavel wrote:I can't see anything preventing these places from re-opening.

Hillwalking/camping etc are still controversial activities and that could continue even after the travel guideline is lifted. I think shops would have expected to have sold a lot of 2020 stock by now but everyone bought a bike instead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53023552
gman

Postby Flat Earther » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:19 pm

Camping and hospitality now open in England.

Scotland risking missing out on significant business over the summer.

Mountaineering Scotland has pushed for opening up. Meanwhile walkhighlands lobbies on hares and closes covid threads.
Flat Earther
Mountaineer

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:23 pm

Prior to Go Outdoors opening in Inverness, which wasn't that long ago, I'd only ever been in one once before, in darkest Englandshire (Hathersage I think). Never liked the one in Inverness much. Liked the aggressive way they pushed their discount scheme even less.
Anyway, little point in having outdoor stores open in Scotland if there's nowhere to go to to use the stuff.
I'm in complete agreement with Flat Earther regarding Mountaineering Scotland et al.
:(
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby Coop » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:22 pm

Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:01 pm

Jim777 wrote:Hope gman isn’t right about TISO as I worked there for the first five years they were open in Perth before I retired ( that was 4 years ago ). Yes, they’re not the cheapest of shops but it would be a shame to see them taken over by someone like JD. We need to keep as wide a variety of outdoor retailers as possible. We need to support our outdoor retailers as much as we can - when they eventually get the opportunity to open.

Agree with the general notion that we all benefit from as wide a variety of outdoor shops as possible. However, I have to say, I have nothing but contempt for Tiso. Every time I've gone in there I've been treated with an appalling lack of courtesy and customer care by staff. Usually, young sneering and patronising climber types who look down their nose at you, just cos they've done a bit of abseiling at their university climbing club.

Add to that the fact that they are always appalling over priced compared to other outlets, then I wont mourn if they go out of business.

Go Outdoors on the other hand....now them I'd miss. Far more reasonably priced, and the staff actually appear to give a damn.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:08 am

Lightfoot2017 wrote:
Jim777 wrote:Hope gman isn’t right about TISO as I worked there for the first five years they were open in Perth before I retired ( that was 4 years ago ). Yes, they’re not the cheapest of shops but it would be a shame to see them taken over by someone like JD. We need to keep as wide a variety of outdoor retailers as possible. We need to support our outdoor retailers as much as we can - when they eventually get the opportunity to open.

Agree with the general notion that we all benefit from as wide a variety of outdoor shops as possible. However, I have to say, I have nothing but contempt for Tiso. Every time I've gone in there I've been treated with an appalling lack of courtesy and customer care by staff. Usually, young sneering and patronising climber types who look down their nose at you, just cos they've done a bit of abseiling at their university climbing club.

Add to that the fact that they are always appalling over priced compared to other outlets, then I wont mourn if they go out of business.

Go Outdoors on the other hand....now them I'd miss. Far more reasonably priced, and the staff actually appear to give a damn.

I have the exact opposite opinion,both Tiso stores in Glasgow I found to be very friendly and extremely helpful and trained,I have never been a money conscious person so if I need something I just buy it.
Go Outdoors,Clydebank was good when first opened,lots of different brands,when it was sold it became a stock it high,limited brands,last years stock type of company,always found the the staff untrained,unhelpful,working attitude was terrible,their card system was a con to make you think you got a bargain with last years stock.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion