walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Where will you be going?

Where will you be going?

Postby Silverhill » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:10 pm

Not long now till we can return to the hills, hurrah :D ! I was just wondering what folks' plans are, either immediately after we are allowed to travel further again, or later on.

I was supposed to go walking and cycling on Arran in May, but that turned into a holiday to Roondthehoose :lol: So I might try again at some point, maybe in autumn.
Then there are of course the hills, though I haven't got any specific ones in mind.
But what I am really looking forward to is continuing on the Rob Roy Way. What a gem that is! The scenery is stunning and it is great to finally walk in areas, previously 'neglected' due to the munro bug, and see the hills from a different perspective.
I started in January, doing it as day walks, one stage every weekend or so. Did Ardtalnaig to Amulree on 22nd March, the day before lockdown. It was a magnificent walk, just loved the relative remoteness of it. I might just repeat that section, before moving on to the next stage to Aberfeldy! Below are some pictures to tempt you.

So the Rob Roy Way is a definite. And where will you go, when you go?

20200322_120339.jpg

20200322_125811.jpg

20200322_132341.jpg
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Re: Where will you be going?

Postby KatTai » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:35 pm

Will be starting with the local Munros, new doggy Zena has some catching up to do! Then I'll see what the weather is doing and where is looking best for walking. Would like to get back across to the Small Isles but I think we'll be opting for a couple of camps where the car isn't far away now as Zena hasn't been camping yet.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Silverhill » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:58 pm

Sounds good KatTai! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your very photogenic dogs again :D
Silverhill

Postby Backpacker » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:58 pm

Somewhere pathless, boggy and awkward to get to
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:21 pm

Somewhere that doesn't involve the A 9 or the A92 or I will be sitting in a traffic jam all day. Probably somewhere that husband with mending hip can walk....i.e. somewhere flat. I guess I have ruled out most hills. Never mind they will all be like this

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Silverhill » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:34 pm

Backpacker wrote:Somewhere pathless, boggy and awkward to get to

:lol: Brilliant Backpacker! That shouldn't be too difficult in Scotland! Do let us know how you got on and how deep the bogs were :wink:

Sgurr wrote:Somewhere that doesn't involve the A 9 or the A92 or I will be sitting in a traffic jam all day. Probably somewhere that husband with mending hip can walk....i.e. somewhere flat. I guess I have ruled out most hills. Never mind they will all be like this

Hope your husband is making good progress with his recovery. Flat walks are nice too and I'm not in a real hurry to return to the hills either. I will just be good to walk somewhere else than round the housing estate for a change!
Silverhill

Postby PeteR » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:28 am

Not telling.....in case I attract the crowds :lol: It'll involve boggy, pathless ground though, so that should deter folk.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:36 am

Won't get to Scotland until the autumn now. Hopefully that'll give it time to calm down. My experience down here suggests all the obvious spots will be rammed beyond anything you've seen before! Fortunately, it also suggests you only need to make a little more effort and you'll escape the worst easily though.

In the meantime, I hope to get a few trips in, just can't get my head around where I'm going to camp at the moment! If we're allowed, I may end up in the Massif Central instead for a week or two.

Anyway, if we can manage a whole week without meeting a soul at Easter 2019, if you're imaginative enough with what hills you're dragging canoes over, solitude is not difficult to find!!! :lol:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:40 am

Certainly not any munro red routes - suspect that I won't see many, if any, walkers on the various routes I have in the plan. Need to work up some fitness first though.
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Hike Man » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:02 am

I will be glad to get into the hills again to test my fitness. I have to say with the lockdown progressively easing very many people will be required to return to work. So my aim is to avoid weekends and believe that there is plenty space for us all up all but the busiest of routes.

I will probably try some of the longer walks as they are less inclined to be mobbed.

The problems will not be on the hills but in the car parks or other non regulated parking areas.

Looked on the Cairngorm National Park site just now and their advice is unchanged even with the lifting of travel restrictions. This may change once they have decided their position, we will have to wait and see.

Anyway I’m just happy that some normality is creeping back and look forward to my next hill. It’s been a while.
Hike Man

Munros:40   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:5   

Postby litljortindan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:33 am

That sample of Rob Roy Way looks rather nice. I'm all for seeing the hills from new vantage points.
I have a notion that the lockdown and its attendant wee hills, lumps and bumps have altered my perception a bit so I'm not necessarily averse to further local exploration of what I could see from my five mile perimeter and not necessarily thinking of big hills and walks further afield. Small will do for now it seems. Also mindful of walking within my limits.
At the moment I am dodging the grass pollen and I usually only do a couple of walks in July and August anyway so I'm not exactly raring to go. But if there's the right weather (dry) and the right pollen count (low) then I'll be exploring tracks in the north west with the odd small hill thrown in but also some parts of the Cairngorms. I have a day trip routine for that of getting up early and just making a couple of stops for fuel so that should fit with a safety first approach.
I do have a bit of an issue with "sticking to where you know" but if I can walk somewhere familiar with sunrise or sunset thrown in then I am more than happy or if I can walk somewhere new but easy then I am happy with that too. Plus pouring over bing maps is always a fun thing to do.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby al78 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:39 am

I'm still booked on a advanced scrambling course in Snowdonia over the August bank holiday weekend. When the hospitality industry is opened up I will be booking a few nights at the nearest campsite, to give myself the opportunity of trying out my new lightweight camping gear.

Backpacking trips will have to wait until next year.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby EmilyD » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:51 am

Laying low for a while and finding boggy grassy sub-Munro lumps that don't require use of the A82 or A9. I fear those roads will be chaos and frequently closed due to accidents. Like a normal summer, but worse.
EmilyD
Stravaiging

Munros:251   Corbetts:42
Donalds:6

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:32 pm

Probably the Bealach na Ba corbetts, weather permitting and ideally after the travel limit has been lifted but before it's swamped with tourists.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby malky_c » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:07 pm

Hooooome 8) . We will most likely head to my place in Inverness shortly after the 3rd, and stay there until Jackie has to go back to school. Got 3 weeks off with the prospect of a 4th, so it should be our usual summer of day trips, summit camps and cycling as the weather permits. Would love to get out to some islands, but if that looks more logistically awkward than normal then I'm not too concerned -just being out and about in the far NW will make me happy at the moment!
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion