walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Where will you be going?

Re: Where will you be going?

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:37 pm

As term draws slowly and painfully to a close, this question has been dominating my waking (and possibly even non-waking) hours over the last few days. Got a few ideas, all of which are likely to involve some fairly unpleasant road conditions but hopefully I can get to some hills that are fairly quiet. Never really a problem to find such hills in Scotland and I don't imagine that aspect will be all that different if one chooses wisely. There are any number of pathless, awkward-squad Grahams and the likes that I could do but given my 2020 targets (before we learned that a large part of the year was going to be a write-off) of hitting half way on the Corbetts and getting down to the last 50 Munros, they will probably be the priorities. Not that the target is likely to be hit now! It all depends on what I can actually manage (talking domestic matters as much as waistline and general fitness concerns) but if I aim big, I am still eyeing Mullardoch and some of the Corbetts around Glenfinnan. Who knows! If folk keep going to open air raves in Kelvingrove Park and Portobello beach then it might be back to a summer spent on Kinnoull Hill! :roll:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby denfinella » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:02 pm

We happen to have a couple of weeks of annual leave and Airbnbs booked in the Highlands in July. Fortunately they're not in particularly touristy spots, but one will involve braving the A9 on consecutive weekends.

There might not be many other free days available, but if there are, I think it might be a good time to head south and explore a bit more of the Southern Uplands.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:58 pm

Assynt... Torridon... Affric... Glen Shiel... Anywhere with summits to meow on! :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Outnabout » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:28 am

Some of the Donald's for me and the family, for the foreseeable future till it settles abit.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby HCMacD » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:28 pm

Like so many people, I have been excited beyond belief about being able to get further away for some walking and exploring - to the point that I have upped my daily step count considerably and reduced the number of excursions to the biscuit barrel in preparation for having to face some ascents and descents!

And then, night before last, upon descending Little Conval just on sunset time, my right foot disappeared down a hole, I twisted my ankle, heard a loud 'pop', promptly threw up, and then crawled a few hundred metres to the top of the land rover track to await assistance by a pal in a 4x4 - off to A&E to be x-rayed - fortunately no break, but Grade 3 torn ligament - so to cut my story short - lock down continues for me for the foreseeable! :( :( :(
HCMacD
Mountain Walker

Munros:145   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:5

Postby Arthurs Eat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:00 pm

Outnabout wrote:Some of the Donald's for me and the family, for the foreseeable future till it settles abit.

Sounds good advice mate. Lets not get ahead of ourselves and start another catastrophe.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby Lmitch » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:38 pm

Got really lucky and the cottage on the Corrour Estate we booked for July 4th week is happening. I got the news and was literally jumping up and down with excitement.

Good luck to everyone with your plans.
Lmitch
Munro compleatist

Postby jaffa61 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:41 pm

Loch Lochy Munros for me, but as weather looks bad on Friday (when we all get out of jail :D ,) it will probably have to wait till early next week .Since I have just retired its time to get back to Munros for first time in years, Glen Feshie the following week.....
jaffa61
Mountain Walker

Munros:202   Corbetts:36
Fionas:41   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:11   Islands:7

Postby Flat Earther » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:07 am

Given some of the rhetoric by the Scottish administration and others in the press we have decided not to come back north to Scotland this year for hiking as the atmosphere could be toxic for outsiders - shame as it will be the first year we've missed in a long time.

Thoughts with to those in hospitality and the tourist industries who's jobs are under severe pressure.
Flat Earther
Mountaineer

Postby Silver Bear » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:57 pm

Flat Earther wrote:Given some of the rhetoric by the Scottish administration and others in the press we have decided not to come back north to Scotland this year for hiking as the atmosphere could be toxic for outsiders - shame as it will be the first year we've missed in a long time.

Thoughts with to those in hospitality and the tourist industries who's jobs are under severe pressure.

A sad indictment of Scotland in 2020

And it is nothing to do with Covid 19 either

You have my sympathies
Silver Bear

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:29 pm

Flat Earther wrote:Given some of the rhetoric by the Scottish administration and others in the press we have decided not to come back north to Scotland this year for hiking as the atmosphere could be toxic for outsiders - shame as it will be the first year we've missed in a long time.

I wouldn't give too much notice to what's written in the press. In reality the vast majority of locals wont be that bothered if you come or not. The damage has already been done to the tourist industry but bookings must be going well if the prices mean anything.

I'm going down to visit a friend in Fort William on thurs. (all perfectly above board and sticking to the advice) :D
I'm going to check out what car parks are open and also what the alternatives are. Might go for a wee wander with my pal, though I'm not quite sure what's acceptable within the guidelines. :wink:
This weekend looks a bit of a washout so prob give it a miss :(
Next week I'm planning getting out and about between Fort William and Mallaig. I dont see the hills there being too busy. - They never are. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby EileanB » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:37 am

I just did an unscientific survey of places to stay in the Highlands and Islands and a surprising number aren't opening straight away or even at all this year. I am reckoning to plan for self sufficiency.
EileanB
Walker

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:27 am

I had planned to get to Skye, do up Caberfeidh Highland Towers Castle and go fishing, but now I have to go to the South coast of England to work. Bugger, bugger, bugger... :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby jaffa61 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:22 pm

Change of plan, Sgor Gaoith in Glen Feshie .More likely next week when/if decent weather.
Cairngorm twitter page updated now to welcome us back from 3rd July. :clap: :clap:
jaffa61
Mountain Walker

Munros:202   Corbetts:36
Fionas:41   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:11   Islands:7

Postby JohnSound » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:43 pm

Extra few days (at least) of 5 mile limitations for me thanks to the Annan/Gretna outbreak so I'll just be up Criffel, again. When we get the all clear down here I'll still be staying close so it'll be Moffat, the Lowthers and Galloway hills until it settles down. Given how busy its been here at Criffel lately though, I'll be avoiding the Grey Mare's Tail and the Merrick for now, so it'll be pathless and boggy Donalds for July.

I hope to cross the border in August for Skiddaw, Blencathra and more, so I might just manage to complete the panorama from my place by the end of the summer with a bit of luck - I earn my summer living in live music & events, so work certainly won't be getting in the way.
JohnSound
Wanderer

Munros:3   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:18+6
Sub 2000:28   Hewitts:3
Islands:4

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion