walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

BBC Alba Sunday 1955hrs

BBC Alba Sunday 1955hrs

Postby Coop » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:22 pm

"Four on the Cuillin "

Just a wee heads up about this 3 part series following 4 school leavers fae Glesga who go and tackle the Cuillin Ridge
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: BBC Alba Sunday 1955hrs

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:31 am

I remember talking to the guide Paul Tattersall and he mentioned a programme he was doing for the BBC with children and the Cuillin a few years ago,I wonder if it is the one he spoke about.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby mynthdd2 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:38 am

Back in the day was there not a bunch of lads working the Glasgow docks who did similar stuff using ropes off ships and in tacky boots?

And is that where the expression The Bimbler's came from?
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby gaffr » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:17 am

Thanks for the heads up for this on Alba.
Not quite what I thought it was going to be. My I first thoughts were good on the youths taking on the Cuillin Ridge....they must have been going about in the hills for some time.
However nonetheless it seems to be for them with no previous experiences in the mountains? an interesting time For them and they are obviously being well looked after. You can't do less that smile when one of the group was struggling with a wheely suitcase when approaching the Cottage.
Although it looks as if all of the engeries are being directly towards reaching the top of the Pinnacle? but there are a further two episodes to follow.
What I do feel is that operating this all from the Coruisk side of the range allows for a real wee adventure.
A bit easier to reach the Coruisk side today compared to fifty five years ago when bus to Glasgow, train to Mallaig...Ferry to Armadale then two Post busses to get around to the drop of for the path to Canasunary and finally the wee path around the coast to get to the Cottage....in an amazing setting.
An unforgettable experience. I also see that the accommodation is called a Bothy...not so it is the Cottage of the JMCS Glasgow.... Bookings and keys and all the rest. Unless of course maybe things have changed?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion