walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

First wild camping experience

First wild camping experience

Postby loriwatson1 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:52 am

Hello ,

i'm wondering if anyone can give me suggestions for wild camping?

This will be me and my partners first wild camping trip , we want to go somewhere near a loch so we can have the car close by but we don't want to hit all the most known beauty spots and where everyone might be heading these next few weeks as we love to be isolated and one with nature .

In the future we will be looking at camping near Munro's so we can tick more off the list so all suggestions are welcome .

Thank you for taking time out of your day to reply :)
loriwatson1
Mountain Walker

Munros:51   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1
Islands:5

Re: First wild camping experience

Postby Scraggygoat » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:20 am

Roadside camping is, and will become an increasing, controversial topic as lock-down eases. There is significant animosity from locals, and its almost certain landed interests are planning a campaign in conjunction with their friends in the media to apply pressure for change. Local Councillors are seeing this as an opportune issue to get involved with for votes. Hill-goers, locals, land-owners are all fed-up with the roadside Ned element.

I'm not suggesting that you would behave in such away, but most hill-goers would be very reluctant to promote any roadside camping at the moment, as even if done responsibly the pressure of numbers is going to lead to potential conflict and increased resentment / stereotyping. Pick a Glen, a Glen with a loch about 4-6 miles from the road, away from estate buildings and walk up it, its unlikely you won't find somewhere to pitch. Obviously don't leave litter and even though its permissible given the current sensitivities don't have a fire.

Check for Stalking activities before you go
https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/practical-guide-all/heading-scottish-hills

In my view attitudes and behaviors over the remainder of the summer will govern whether legislative change will follow, there will be influential elements in society that would be happy for not only roadside camping banned (which is looking increasingly likely...or at the very least more bylaws), but all non fee paying site camping as well. They see the problem element of roadside campers and the public's revulsion as a way to achieve this.
Scraggygoat

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:06 pm

Roadside camping will be worse as numerous campsites are not taking tents till 2021 as shower/toilets facilities will be closed due to virus,but sites will be taking motorhomes since these have facilities onboard.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:06 pm

Hi Lori. The best thing to do is decide how far you are willing to travel, what area you wish to visit, then just have a look at the map. The geograph site also has photos that will give you an idea of the lie of the land.

I try and get away from the road. I believe technically it is not illegal to camp beside your car (and it has increased a lot in Scotland in the last 20 years) but it does put you in the limelight and attracts attention. It is still possible to camp fairly close to your car but out of sight.

All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby LobeyD » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:14 pm

Bear in mind that at this time of year it never gets properly dark. During early July several years ago I was able to pack up and hike several miles to the howf at Corrour Station at around 3am without a headtorch after a rather nasty change of wind direction caught me out and blew the tent in. Pick a quiet glen with a decent path and river and hike at least a couple of miles in. Even if the worst happens, you'll be able to get back to the car safely.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby davekeiller » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:48 pm

Camping next to a loch is superficially attractive, but you'll get eaten alive by midges.
To avoid the midges, you need a spot with a bit of a breeze as the wind stops them flying. I'm thinking that Glen Feshie might be far enough off the beaten track to be a good spot.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:18 pm

my best bet would be to camp near a beach where a gentle breeze will lull you to sleep...no midges either :D
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Tringa » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:13 am

How far are you willing to walk with your camping gear?

I'm asking because, as said elsewhere, camping by the road side is not encouraged and doesn't fit with "we love to be isolated and one with nature"

If you are happy to do even a short distance (mile or so) then there is a lot of space to choose from.

I agree with Sunset tripper have a look at some maps(the OS overlay on Bing maps is very handy for this) and Geograph.

Dave
Tringa

Postby Marty_JG » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:05 am

Loch Assynt

Stunning location, you'll only be five minutes from the car, and it won't be mobbed like further south will likely be.

Read-up on the access code, leave no trace, but otherwise it's perfectly fine to ask for places close to parking especially for the inexperienced to get their confidence up.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby loriwatson1 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:00 am

Tringa wrote:How far are you willing to walk with your camping gear?

I'm asking because, as said elsewhere, camping by the road side is not encouraged and doesn't fit with "we love to be isolated and one with nature"

If you are happy to do even a short distance (mile or so) then there is a lot of space to choose from.

I agree with Sunset tripper have a look at some maps(the OS overlay on Bing maps is very handy for this) and Geograph.

Dave

Yes of course we are happy to walk a few miles as we know camping right on a loch will be busy considering this time in life .
We aren't the type of people to leave rubbish either its rude and for caring about the environment not nice for that either.
a few suggestions a couple of miles from a off track road/ road are welcome .

Lori
loriwatson1
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:44 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:my best bet would be to camp near a beach where a gentle breeze will lull you to sleep...no midges either :D

You'll still get eaten alive if the breeze does drop. As I have been on the shore at the end of Glen Brittle.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Ian Johnston » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:33 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:my best bet would be to camp near a beach where a gentle breeze will lull you to sleep...no midges either :D

As a sea kayaker, I really, "really" wish this was the case! :think: Some of the very worst midge experiences I've had have been on beautiful beaches

Lori - Scotland's a big old place, where are you based and do you have a general area in mind? There's so many possibilities for wild camping in stunning locations which aren't a full day's walk-in and where you'll likely see nobody else; if you've an idea of a general area the forum members will probably have some good suggestions

Kind Regards

Ian
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

Postby loriwatson1 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:16 pm

Ian Johnston wrote:

As a sea kayaker, I really, "really" wish this was the case! :think: Some of the very worst midge experiences I've had have been on beautiful beaches

Lori - Scotland's a big old place, where are you based and do you have a general area in mind? There's so many possibilities for wild camping in stunning locations which aren't a full day's walk-in and where you'll likely see nobody else; if you've an idea of a general area the forum members will probably have some good suggestions

Kind Regards

Ian

Hello Ian ,

i am from fife , we were looking at somewhere not too far a drive maybe in the Cairgorms area .

close to Newtonmore / Aviemore area . Glen Feshie area was a maybe.

Lori
loriwatson1
Mountain Walker

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:39 pm

Hello Ian ,

i am from fife , we were looking at somewhere not too far a drive maybe in the Cairgorms area .

close to Newtonmore / Aviemore area . Glen Feshie area was a maybe.

Lori

I suggest Altanour - quite quick to get to from Fife on the A93. Weather / midges likely to be less of a problem than further west. A few miles walk in but very easy. Very strong sense of remoteness and peace - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=58920
Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby LobeyD » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:48 pm

Altanour is indeed a really nice location but a fairly hefty hike from the road. It's a 'walk-in' I'd recommend cycling if that's your thing.

Glen Isla might be a good bet for a quiet but accessible camping trip from Fife. I was up there last July for a night to climb Glas Maol, Creag Leacach and Menomenach. Camped by the car next to the bridge at Dalhally (beyond the end of the tarmac road by a few hundred metres) as I was late starting, but there was plenty of spots in the small forest to the north and in the glen northwards between there and Tulchan Lodge. Not perhaps the most spectacular glen, certainly compared to Ey and Feshie, but has a wild and remote feel for somewhere quite accessible and a couple of easyish Munros to boot.

This was midweek in early July last year and I didn’t see a soul either on the hills or while camped up. Don’t remember the midges being too bad either.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion