walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Alder Estate

Ben Alder Estate

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:22 pm

Is access to Ben Alder OK at the moment? IE Ben Alder estate haven't gone rogue and blocked off the landy track after the turn off for the lodge or anything like that. Hoping to bike into these at the weekend.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: Ben Alder Estate

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:35 pm

Hi Jupe. Ben Alder estate have always been quite good regarding walkers, I can't see you having any problems.
The parking area beside the level crossing was off limits for a while last year due to lorries using it for forestry work, but I was there in March just before lockdown and the no parking signs had gone. Plenty other options in the village though if need be.

All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Sspaterson » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:40 pm

Hi, I'm just back from there. No access issues at all. We cycled in yesterday, did 4 hills and camped at Culra then cycled out this morning.
Would recommend taking the stalkers path before you reach Loch Pattack. It's quicker and will save soggy feet from wading through bog and loch. It's off the main track to the left at a wide bit on the road. Quite obvious.

We ended up having to take panniers off bikes to get them over the shoofly bridge at Loch Pattack, then faff putting them on again. Then it was boots off, breeks rolled up and wading through parts of the loch edge pushing the bikes (the water came up over the bottom of the panniers at one point).

Cycling back out along the stalkers path was a piece of cake in comparison. A couple of boggy bits where we had to get off and shove but nothing like the bridge and loch hassle.

There were 15 tents there last night. Busy wee spot which surprised us for a Monday night. Everyone desperate to get back to the great outdoors.
Sspaterson

Munros:207   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:38

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:16 am

Sunset tripper wrote:Hi Jupe. Ben Alder estate have always been quite good regarding walkers, I can't see you having any problems.
The parking area beside the level crossing was off limits for a while last year due to lorries using it for forestry work, but I was there in March just before lockdown and the no parking signs had gone. Plenty other options in the village though if need be.

All the best. :D

Cheers ST - I thought the no parking thing was permanent. That's handy :)

Sspaterson wrote:Hi, I'm just back from there. No access issues at all. We cycled in yesterday, did 4 hills and camped at Culra then cycled out this morning.
Would recommend taking the stalkers path before you reach Loch Pattack. It's quicker and will save soggy feet from wading through bog and loch. It's off the main track to the left at a wide bit on the road. Quite obvious.

We ended up having to take panniers off bikes to get them over the shoofly bridge at Loch Pattack, then faff putting them on again. Then it was boots off, breeks rolled up and wading through parts of the loch edge pushing the bikes (the water came up over the bottom of the panniers at one point).

Cycling back out along the stalkers path was a piece of cake in comparison. A couple of boggy bits where we had to get off and shove but nothing like the bridge and loch hassle.

There were 15 tents there last night. Busy wee spot which surprised us for a Monday night. Everyone desperate to get back to the great outdoors.

Aye I've been in a couple of times before, first time was in and out by the Loch. Never again! The single track is really quite straightforward. Me and a mate have already done all the munros in there but fancy a return to Alder and also the Lancet Edge onto Geal Charn.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby paulG2 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:20 am

[quote="Sspaterson"We ended up having to take panniers off bikes to get them over the shoofly bridge ”

So can you confirm the bridge is intact? I thought it was down. Great if they have fixed it. Also shows they are ‘Walker friendly’ if they did it so quickly
paulG2
Munro compleatist

Munros:172   Corbetts:25
Fionas:1   Donalds:9

Postby Dom_89 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:54 pm

How far is it from Dalwhinnie to Culra? This has given me an idea to tackle Ben Alder & Beinn Bheoil camping at Culra and tackling Aonach Beag 4 the following day and back to Dalwhinnie.

Anyone any advice if this is achievable or other suggestions? I'd likely be cycling in/out so would my bike be safe if I left it?
Dom_89
Mountain Walker

Munros:94   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby Giant Stoneater » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:54 pm

paulG2 wrote:[quote="Sspaterson"We ended up having to take panniers off bikes to get them over the shoofly bridge ”

So can you confirm the bridge is intact? I thought it was down. Great if they have fixed it. Also shows they are ‘Walker friendly’ if they did it so quickly

Bridge is still down from what I know from a couple of weeks ago.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:53 pm

jupe1407 wrote: Me and a mate have already done all the munros in there fancy a return to Alder and also the Lancet Edge onto Geal Charn.

I came down off Geal Charn via the Lancet Edge a couple of years ago. It's a brilliant area all round. :D
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80749
Sunset tripper

Postby Coop » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:08 pm

Dom_89 wrote:How far is it from Dalwhinnie to Culra? This has given me an idea to tackle Ben Alder & Beinn Bheoil camping at Culra and tackling Aonach Beag 4 the following day and back to Dalwhinnie.

Anyone any advice if this is achievable or other suggestions? I'd likely be cycling in/out so would my bike be safe if I left it?

This should help

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/culra.shtml
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:10 pm

Dom_89 wrote:How far is it from Dalwhinnie to Culra? This has given me an idea to tackle Ben Alder & Beinn Bheoil camping at Culra and tackling Aonach Beag 4 the following day and back to Dalwhinnie.

It's around 15k from Dalwhinnie to Culra,and it's more the feesable to cycle in,walk round the 6 in one day,camp and cycle out the next day.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Dom_89 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:15 pm

Coop wrote:

This should help

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/culra.shtml

Cheers Coop, much appreciated.

How safe is it to leave the bike there?
Dom_89
Mountain Walker

Munros:94   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:24 pm

Dom_89 wrote:
How safe is it to leave the bike there?

It's very safe but I would still lock it. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby jupe1407 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:35 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:
jupe1407 wrote: Me and a mate have already done all the munros in there fancy a return to Alder and also the Lancet Edge onto Geal Charn.

I came down off Geal Charn via the Lancet Edge a couple of years ago. It's a brilliant area all round. :D
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80749

Cracking TR, very helpful, cheers :)
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:49 pm

If you're feeling energetic (or something else :shh: :silent:) , you could cycle in, walk round the six then cycle out on the same day.........
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23453
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Sspaterson » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:34 pm

The bridge is repaired. There were new planks nailed in place.

It’s about 10 miles cycle from Dalwhinnie to Culra

Yes it’s entirely feasible to cycle in, do one lot first day, camp, next lot following day then cycle out. This had been our intention but I was knackered after doing the 4. I knew I’d be knackered after doing Ben Alder the next day and then still have to cycle out so plumped for just cycling out and leaving this magnificent hill for another, better weather day. Also my boots were soaking from fording the river. Ideally two nights in tent would mean a cycle out after a nights sleep but I’m not as fit or young as I once was.
Attachments
88E2AB09-B52C-4D2E-9E63-A15D51063ECD.jpeg
The fixed bridge 6 July 2020
Sspaterson

Munros:207   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:38

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion