walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Aonach Eagach after Curved Ridge

Aonach Eagach after Curved Ridge

Postby acsgibson » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:35 am

Hi folks,

I'm trying to develop my head for heights - I love mountain walking and scrambling, but sometimes find that I avoid particular routes as a result of being afraid. With indoor climbing I tend to stick to bouldering.

I've done Curved Ridge twice as a stepping stone in getting over my wobbles, the first time in mist (and absolute terror!) and the second time on a very dry, sunny day and had a fantastic time with no fear whatsoever.

I'm hoping to do Aonach Eagach this summer, but wondering if it might be a bit too scary for me just yet. Anyone willing to compare the scariness of AE vs CR? My intention would be to solo it.

Any info welcome. I've watched a bunch of videos but don't always find them that representative - the curved ridge videos definitely make it look scarier than it is.

Cheers!
acsgibson

Re: Aonach Eagach after Curved Ridge

Postby gman » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:05 pm

Yeah, videos tend to be on a Go Pro fisheye lens that makes everything look scarier. Aonach Eagach is easier than Curved Ridge, there are longer walking sections between the scrambling bits and the scrambling is Grade 2 vs Grade 2/3 on CR. Might be a bit scarier on narrow sections of the ridge and on descents though. I don't think you'll have any problems, enjoy!
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby davekeiller » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:59 pm

My advice would be to try and find a still day. It's actually a fairly straightforward scramble, although it is committing and the drops are precipitous.
Do you have someone you can go with? Sometimes having some friendly encouragement can be helpful.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby BigTed » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:58 pm

Agreed. the AE ridge is easier than Curved Ridge. Pick a dry day without high winds and you will be fine.
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby prog99 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:47 pm

Although slightly harder curved ridge doesn’t have any significant down climbs. I’ve seen folk freeze on the first descent off of Am Bodach.
Useful thread on the other channel btw - https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/hill_talk/grade_ii_scrambles_in_the_highlands-721761
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion