walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

People in Cities are saying 'Hello' to each other!

People in Cities are saying 'Hello' to each other!

Postby Elenora » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:59 pm

Not quite a walk report......On my lockdown walks around the part of Edinburgh where I stay I am meeting more and more people who say 'Hello' as they pass, or 'Thank you' if you step off the pavement to make more room for them to pass and I wondered if other city dwellers had noticed this behaviour?
Common enough practice when we are out on the hills or in the countryside but something that almost never happened in the cities before the lockdown arrived. And its more often the older people who are doing this (who are generally more civil anyway) but hopefully with more people out walking for the sake of it, the habit will spread. Maybe some good will come out of this mess after all...........
Elenora
Ambler

Re: People in Cities are saying 'Hello' to each other!

Postby thedonalds » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:13 pm

Very kind of Elenora to re-post the text from my post of 11 April from the Walks forum to the General Discussion forum. Nice that someone else has picked up on it and it's still happening.........I think folk have become a bit more civilised but will it last?
thedonalds
Walker

Munros:22   Corbetts:7
Fionas:22   Donalds:87+48
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:26

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:25 pm

People being openly talkative to each other in Edinburgh? The end of the world is nigh!
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Arthurs Eat » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:29 pm

Marty_JG wrote:People being openly talkative to each other in Edinburgh? The end of the world is nigh!

As a Edinbugger, I would say we are generally quite friendly. I have noticed people are a bit more appreciative of the samall kindnesses like moving out the way. Often with a kind smile too! When I cycle into town I always try to say thank you to pedestrians who give way. Other positive things have been the number of people litter picking. The parks and cycle ways a generally much tidier than I can ever remember. And it's all down to folk.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion