walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Chonzie

Ben Chonzie

Postby chigton » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:36 am

I was up Ben Chonzie 4 days ago and noticed 2 tents gave been abandoned near the summit.

I would have carried the stuff out myself but there is a significant quantity. I only had a day sack and was doing the entire circuit of Loch Turret, so was really not in a position to carry all this.

2 x Tents
12 x Glass beer bottles
Toilet bag with toothpaste, deodorant, comb
Various other bits of rubbish and food packaging

Just to say if anyone is able to deal with this, it would be good to see this crap off the hills. Better yet if there is any proof of address, receipts or anything in the rubbish that can be used to trace the culprits that would be worth hanging onto.

I would put up a photo, but I really don't want to provide visual ammunition to the social media mob (especially after the photos at Loch Lomond) to push the case for banning wild camping. I think it's time the distinction was made between true outdoor enthusiasts and litter louts looking for drinking areas.

In the current climate and for the foreseeable future hotel/hostel accommodation will be expensive and extremely limited. For baggers climbing a significant number of hills each year it is not economically viable or practical (last minute trips for decent weather windows for harder summits) to always book accommodation. I regularly use local pubs and shops when travelling. These do not require advanced booking.

Wild camping provides a lifeline, which I do not want to see taken away because the actions of a few idiots.
chigton

Re: Ben Chonzie

Postby chigton » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:39 am

Forgot to mentioned the stuff was strewn all over the summit, collected it together the best I could and weighted the tents with some stones (hated removing them) to prevent them being blown away.
chigton

Postby loriwatson1 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:04 pm

chigton wrote:I was up Ben Chonzie 4 days ago and noticed 2 tents gave been abandoned near the summit.

I would have carried the stuff out myself but there is a significant quantity. I only had a day sack and was doing the entire circuit of Loch Turret, so was really not in a position to carry all this.

2 x Tents
12 x Glass beer bottles
Toilet bag with toothpaste, deodorant, comb
Various other bits of rubbish and food packaging

Just to say if anyone is able to deal with this, it would be good to see this crap off the hills. Better yet if there is any proof of address, receipts or anything in the rubbish that can be used to trace the culprits that would be worth hanging onto.

I would put up a photo, but I really don't want to provide visual ammunition to the social media mob (especially after the photos at Loch Lomond) to push the case for banning wild camping. I think it's time the distinction was made between true outdoor enthusiasts and litter louts looking for drinking areas.

In the current climate and for the foreseeable future hotel/hostel accommodation will be expensive and extremely limited. For baggers climbing a significant number of hills each year it is not economically viable or practical (last minute trips for decent weather windows for harder summits) to always book accommodation. I regularly use local pubs and shops when travelling. These do not require advanced booking.

Wild camping provides a lifeline, which I do not want to see taken away because the actions of a few idiots.

Hello ,

i was up Ben chonzie on Saturday morning and seen no tents/ nor rubbish , so they must have arrived later that day .

as a relativity newbie to the Hill and hoping to start wild camping this makes me angry and sad , that some silly individuals will ruin it for us all .
I am young myself only 21 but i have so much respect for my home country and the environment so always take my own reusable material / home made food . I have seen a big increase in the activity of "hill walkers / wild campers " because of Covid-19 and i'm hoping the ones who have just jumped on the band wagon , jump straight back off once their beloved pubs open back up .

People need to take more care of our beautiful hills and pick up their rubbish .

Regards
Lori
loriwatson1
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1
Islands:5

Postby scoob999 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:05 pm

scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:34 pm

The weegies couldn't handle Ben Chonzie in the height of summer. :roll:

On a more serious note hopefully they went back and cleaned it up. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby chigton » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:13 pm

That would make sense. But I noticed on hill bagging someone reports seeing the abandoned tents on 05/07/2020 (Sunday) but the article mentions the rescue occured at 3.30am on Monday, the plot thickens....
chigton

Postby chigton » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:27 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:The weegies couldn't handle Ben Chonzie in the height of summer. :roll:

On a more serious note hopefully they went back and cleaned it up. :D

Yes, had it been advanced base camp on Annapurna you could understand the perticiment. Ben Chonzie....

Yeah I hope so too, having worked on my local community council for a number of years clearing footpaths, rivers and roadsides of rubbish, things like this annoy me. But I am loathed to do another 120 mile round trip to clear all that up.

If I had been doing the one summit and had my bigger bag I would have had a go getting it down. Hopefully they do the right thing here.
chigton

Postby chigton » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:52 am

Update: Mountain Rescue have informed me the guys in question have said they will come back and clear what has been left behind.
chigton

Postby weedavie » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:53 pm

This is the third rescue we've heard of in the last three months that seems like people should not have been on the hill. People on the Cobbler, Beinn a' Chroin and now Ben Chonzie, who can't walk off but can call for help. I mean there was sanctimonious outrage about the Vietnamese kids on Ben Nevis earlier this year, but at least you felt they needed rescueing.

I don't suppose it's within their terms of reference, but you feel that MR should have answered the call and said "Got your compass? Good, set it to South West and get walking. Have a nice day, y'all!"
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby Raynor » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:24 pm

"The Tayside Mountain Rescue Team (TMRT) got a call at 3.30am from six men who were wild camping on the summit of Ben Chonzie, a peak of 931m near Crieff.The group, on a trip from Glasgow, were wet and experiencing equipment failure while dealing with winds of 50-60mph."

Equipment failure? Is that a nice way of saying their tent blew down and they were too drunk to sort it...
Raynor

Munros:110   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:4

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion